Break in period towing

The only question I think I’ll add. All those people who are afraid to give your vehicle the throttle new. How did you test drive it? Did you buy the vehicle you tested? I test drive harder than I drive normally. My wife is worse than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, KARNUT said:

The only question I think I’ll add. All those people who are afraid to give your vehicle the throttle new.1.) How did you test drive it? 2.) Did you buy the vehicle you tested? I test drive harder than I drive normally. My wife is worse than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.) Turned the key. Put it in drive and hung on.

2.) Not all of them, just the one I kept.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I'm sure the lot person that drove my truck 100miles from another dealer did all the breaking in my truck needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So did mine when I bought my 6.2L they drove it 300km back to town and the DIC read 9.9L/100km 23.75mpg which was the best mileage the truck has ever seen. Which also means they drove at the lowest rpm possible at a slow speed. Which means they didn't fluctuate rpm at all, which means my engine could be on borrowed time. If it were me it would have been broken in a couple gears back at 2,000rpm with some hard pulls. I let them know I didn't appreciate it and if they want to charge me $2,000 for delivery they had better send it on a truck. $2,000 per truck x 6 trucks on a trailer = $12,000 to GM. I could send 3 of my trucks to Oshawa and back for that price, while delivering 18 trucks. They make a killing off that charge.

14 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Anyone know what the word "asperity" means in material science and why that may matter to a new driveline? 

?

"The relationship between frictional interactions and asperity geometry is complex and poorly understood."

If material scientists can't understand it, what hope do I have? 

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

"The relationship between frictional interactions and asperity geometry is complex and poorly understood."

If material scientists can't understand it, what hope do I have? 

Mathematically true, from a modeling standpoint but in practical terms it is quite well understood. Just ask anyone with an opinion on 'break in'. :thumbs:

Image result for asperity

Simple enough picture. What does it show? 

• Like 1

I ended up buying my '19 5.3 GMC Elevation after getting frustrated with my '13 RAM. Little things kept going on the RAM, it ran, drove and towed great but little electrical demons mixed with a clogged heater core at 65k miles... I was standing in my driveway, back flushing the heater core getting all the crap out of it. Hooked everything back up, still no heat. I stormed out of my driveway and went to the GMC dealer and bought this truck out of pure frustration. 

Had a fishing trip scheduled for the next day, and put the first 300 miles on the GMC towing a boat about 3500lbs. I asked the dealer if there was a break in period, his response was "these engines are pre broken in, its not like the old days" ?. Anyways, I thought it would be good practice to at least change the oil early, did so at 1k miles. 

The dealer I bought from offers a free lifetime power train warranty as long as you follow the scheduled maintenance through them, and free lifetime car washes once per week. So there is no break in period for me lol.

5k miles and no problems or issues at all. Except for the brake pad sensor reading 49% left, but that doesn't concern me. Im not too picky and I like taking care of my things, especially with this warranty, Ill keep this truck forever.

• Like 1