Drive your truck for Uber or Lyft?

I'm just curious if anyone here uses their new 2019 Silverado or Sierra driving for Uber or Lyft? I don't necessarily want to drive for Uber or Lyft myself but I wanted to see what my truck would fit into for their different services only to find that their sites say trucks are in the lower cost service. You would think that something like a Silverado High Country, Sierra AT4 or Denali would fit into a higher tier level than basic, considering the truck costs and luxury. Not going to lie, I would consider driving for them if my AT4 would be in a higher tier. But for it to be in something like Uber X around a college town, its not worth the risk to me. What are your thoughts or experiences?  

Between gas and paying extra for commercial insurance and putting a bunch of miles on a new truck, I would run through the numbers to see how much Uber would have to pay to even break even.  But even if it did pay a little, I'd still be looking for a real job.

How about hauling something with your truck for someone. 

Like ridesharing service, but a courier instead using your truck to haul an item or two for someone who does not have a pickup?

Especially in instances where there may not be delivery services at some stores.

Does this exist?

• Like 1

I don’t think so, but it should.

Since Uber doesn’t give any kind of premium for a luxury pick-up over shuttling people around in a Chevette, it’s a non-starter for me.

When I retired I did Uber for awhile. I like to drive so I figured what the hell. I tried to make it fit my schedule, it doesn’t work that way if you want to make money. I just wanted to cover expenses, I’m OCD that way. You will need a basic known reliable car that gets great gas mileage. You better like to make conversation and be able to be a Democrat or Republican at a blink of an eye. You now get the idea. You could use a truck if you just wanted to run events, bars at night. Or for truck kind of money buy a luxury car and do the next level for more money. You get paid by the miles, usually less than a dollar per.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would NOT even consider driving my truck for uber. Not letting random drunk idiots wreck it, and it doesn't pay enough to cover gas.

And as an infrequent customer, I would also not pay $0.01 more to ride in your AT4 than the next clean car that is available. All I want is a ride from here to there.

If you really want to drive for uber go get a clean Camry. Or better yet, a minivan. Those 5+ passenger rides are where its at!

It's too dangerous to have random people in my vehicle, I've seen some videos of people going ape shit in cabs and ubers and causing wrecks...

I drive my truck for work as a sales rep, I get paid $450 a month plus $0.20 per mile and I don't mind that a bit but, having random people getting in and out of my vehicle, no thanks!

The only time I saw Uber work for a driver was when it was actually ride sharing.  I worked with a guy that lived in the country and drive pretty far into the city every day.  On his way to or from work, he went right by a major metropolitan airport.  There was also a college town on the route.  He would take people from the college town to the airport, pick someone up at the airport and take them into the city an do the reverse on the way home.  He was absolutely going that way anyway and no stops were more than a couple miles out of his normal commute.  So in that instance, it subsidized his normal commute so it was all gravy.  Beyond that, I would drive for either Uber or Lyft.  You can’t hardly pay for the depreciation on a basic car, let alone a nice vehicle like a truck and there’s no way I would drive drunks home (unless I knew them personally of course).

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

How about hauling something with your truck for someone. 

Like ridesharing service, but a courier instead using your truck to haul an item or two for someone who does not have a pickup?

Especially in instances where there may not be delivery services at some stores.

Does this exist?

I was thinking about the same thing, whether the customer is with me or not, making Home Depot or Lowe's runs with/for them.  Or even Sears, WalMart, etc, appliance pickup/delivery via Uber/Lyft.

Truck sharing does exist, or it did at one point.  I believe it was in the Tampa area when I heard about it.  There was even a surcharge if you loaded or helped them load the truck vs letting them do all the work.  I considered that but never did find out if that app/service or whatever it was made it to Orlando.  I already do this for my friends and coworkers anyway and usually for free or lunch.  My problem would be someone loading it, I'm anal about that and everything has to be strapped down and then strapped down again.  I refuse to be "that guy" picking things out of the middle of the road.

As far as Uber/Lyft highly unlikely.  I've joked about it but I doubt I could recoup the cost of diesel alone not to mention I generally hate people and don't want to deal with them.

*edit*

https://truxxit.com/     This might have been what I heard about a few years ago.  Seems pretty similar at least.

Edited by Chevyguy85
  • Like 1