installing aftermarket backup camera '16 silverado 1500

Hello,

My truck is already equipped with everything to have a backup camera installed, but I do not have the money for OEM wiring harness and I could not find the right camera to go along with it and have been lost trying to find a way to install this tailgate latch backup camera combo. It came as advertised, I've seen people install the same camera on their truck (from youtube) but the radio is a little different than mine, but doesn't show how to hook up RCA video to the radio. I've been looking for the wiring diagram, but nothing shows. No one has ever shown where that RCA cable goes to and I'm pretty sure GM didn't put an RCA cable right there for me to plug it up. I'm lost on trying to install this new latch with camera and would love to find an answer on this.

More;

My truck has been verified to install a camera. Dealer said my truck is equipped with an option to install one, but they want a whole lot more to install it, so I want to install myself. Please help me. I don't want this once in a life time saved money to go to waste on this.

Thanks.

Maybe nobody has done what you are trying to do?

If you want to save money by doing it yourself, then your best bet is probably to figure out what specific radio head you have, and then google for how people get a video signal into it.  Maybe also spring for access to the full-service manual for your truck, so you can get pinouts  to say, where gm's oem camera module would plug into, or the pinout for the radio .  Maybe see if there's an adapter module for plugging a 3rd party camera signal that plugs into gm's oem camera plug (wherever that may be).  It may also be the case that your radio needs to be reprogrammed and/or unlocked to enable the use of a backup camera (this is besides figuring out how to hook up the camera to the radio).

Hopefully, you didn't spend all your money on this camera module, because if you did, it's possible that it will require more money to make it work with gm's radio (say, to convert the video signal to whatever gm's radio accepts), or it just may not be possible (as in, it might cost significantly more to get it to work, than just buying the gm setup).

In the future, you may want to do this research before purchasing parts, so you know how everything is supposed to connect together.

You might also consider contacting companies like crutchfield, they sell backup cameras, they may be able to tell you how to connect 3rd party camera's to gm's radio.

Edited by davester

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 2:57 AM, dj_overspin said:

I guess no one wants to help out. thanks everyone who doesn't care.

I installed a backup camera on my 2015 Silverado LT 2500HD.

I bought from a very good seller on Ebay.  https://www.ebay.com/str/bobsautomotivemirrorsandmore

The equipment needed was supplied from a company out of North Carolina called Rostra.  Customer service and support through Bobs Automotive and Rostra was excellent.  The camera has worked great since I installed in in the fall of 2014.  Contact Bob and tell him what you have and he will explain what you need to install a backup camera.

• 3 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 5:15 AM, dj_overspin said:

Hello,

My truck is already equipped with everything to have an aftermarket backup camera installed, but I do not have the money for OEM wiring harness and I could not find the right camera to go along with it and have been lost trying to find a way to install this tailgate latch backup camera combo. It came as advertised, I've seen people install the same camera on their truck (from youtube) but the radio is a little different than mine, but doesn't show how to hook up RCA video to the radio. I've been looking for the wiring diagram, but nothing shows. No one has ever shown where that RCA cable goes to and I'm pretty sure GM didn't put an RCA cable right there for me to plug it up. I'm lost on trying to install this new latch with camera and would love to find an answer on this.

More;

My truck has been verified to install a camera. Dealer said my truck is equipped with an option to install one, but they want a whole lot more to install it, so I want to install myself. Please help me. I don't want this once in a life time saved money to go to waste on this.

Thanks.

On 9/24/2019 at 11:38 PM, johnsnowkornar said:

That would be a useful video for me to use, but my wiring on my truck already has the plug in the rear that goes to my current radio, but I can't get the radio to show the backup camera as of right now. I think I have to get my radio programmed. I might have the money to get the OBD2 adapter to flash my radio. If that doesn't work, I have to figure out wiring wise to get power to the backup camera that can go on my tailgate handle.