Tell me about your Ride Quality - Z71 LT, LTZ and RST

19 hours ago, Limelight said:

I agree, I have an LTZ Z71. 

The only time the ride bothers me is over slow obstacles like wide speed bumps or potholes, and like econometrics said side to side motions are poorly managed.  The truck doesn't bounce the tires, but rather rolls around like a giant Chevy Boat. 

High speed manners are much better and comfortable, I would say just about perfect, really.

Ditch your factory shocks for some Bilstein 4600 or 5100s.

Eibach and Pro Comp SS are also good equivalents. These will all give you a more planted and controlled feel over the factory Rancho.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Z71 package on Silverado and X31 package on Sierra come with Rancho Monotubes.

Same Rancho as with the K2 trucks.

They’re not mono tube. They are twin tube. 

Only the Trail Boss / AT4 get monotube Ranchos. 

16 minutes ago, econometrics said:

They’re not mono tube. They are twin tube. 

Only the Trail Boss / AT4 get monotube Ranchos. 

So the GM Rancho labeled Tenneco shock that comes on Z71s in the K2 trucks and T1 Z71/X31 are twin tube?

No wonder they do not hold up as well or ride as good as a monotube.

3 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

So the GM Rancho labeled Tenneco shock that comes on Z71s in the K2 trucks and T1 Z71/X31 are twin tube?

No wonder they do not hold up as well or ride as good as a monotube.

On the T1 for sure. Not sure about the K2. This could be something they changed when they added the TB / AT4. 

May be strictly anecdotal, but on my 2013 Sierra 2500HD Z71, when I switched from the Firestone to the Cooper tires, I noticed a significant improvement in handling - the Firestones seemed to grab every rut in the road and drag the truck which way they wanted to go, with the Coopers - not really noticeable. My 2019 All Terrain 2500HD with the factory Firestone re-acts quite the same way. Plan on swapping to Cooper once I get enough mileage to justify new tires - am curious to see if I get same results.  It doesn't stand to reason that it is strictly a tire issue.

Still wouldn't trade that Duramax/Allison combo for anything else.

My LT 4x4 rides great... for a Chevy.

Doesn't come close to as nice as the 2014 or 2009 Rams I owned, let alone the 2019 Rams I test drove.  But of course it also doesn't break down every couple of months like my last Ram did, and can actually handle a bit of weight in the back.  The Rams are literally "half ton" trucks, as in the payload is 1,000 lbs plus the driver. 

• Like 3

2019 Silverado LT CCSB 4x4 5.3 A8 (work provided)

Disclaimer, I only have my stock 2017 Denali to compare to as it's been a long time since I had my 2014 Denali without Magneride.

Ride is extremely rough, truck unsettles quickly - again, this is because I am used to my Denali, but I had a 2016 Silverado for work before this truck and don't remember it being this rough.

Also, this truck shudders when in AFM mode...my 2017 does not do that, but I am ordering a Range AFM disabler for my personal truck anyway.

I feel the need to amend my previous assessment of my RST Z71 ride quality.

Last night I did about 300 miles in the truck, which is the longest I've driven it since I picked it up from the dealer and drove it 130 miles home. When I drove it home on the first day, it felt like I was driving on a cloud compared to my 2007 LT CC RWD. 

Maybe I've gotten more discriminating in evaluating the truck, but it sure did seem to bounce and stutter a lot on the interstate last night. I was in heavy traffic for the first 45 minutes, and the truck did great.

I did have ONE harsh shift with the 8 speed. It was unlike any hard shifts I had previously. Kind of like it grinded the gear in going from 2-1 in slow traffic. Felt like I was rear-ended lightly, which many others have reported feeling on here.  

Again, maybe I'm judging the truck too harshly because I've gotten used to the much better ride vs. my 2007, but it did some harsh last night. The rear end stuttered out a little over some harsh bumps at high speeds, but the truck just seemed a little "bouncy" all night. Only when I was on longer, smoother stretches of paved interstate did the ride seem to smooth out a LOT. 

But the elevated concrete sections of interstate in the Dallas urban area were really bumpy and unforgiving. 

It's hard to describe, but the truck DOES dampen those bumps a lot. So it feels somewhat more plus, but still stiff. My 2007, or even my wife's 2013 Honda Odyssey reacts more harshly to the bumps, but it feels like those vehicles absorbed the bumps harder, then moved on / recovered more quickly. Felt like my RST was not recovering as fast, which led to the feelings of a bouncy ride. 

Also, I'm learning how to differentiate from the truck's HANDLING and the RIDE. The handling on this truck is just absolutely fantastic. The front end is planted so firmly on the road, and is so responsive. I feel very comfortable and confident driving it. It's just that rear end stutter / bounciness that I don't enjoy. 

Maybe it's the twin-tubed Ranchos (both front and rear), or maybe I still need to let more air out of the 275/20R tires? I have them at 35 front and back. 

35 psi is good. Any less and MPGs can suffer noticeably.

The Ranchos are Ranchos. Same as what came on the K2 trucks.

They are like pogo sticks because there is no soft compression on the rebound. They act more like a spring more so in the rear than the front pair.

Bilsteins and other monotube design mfg. shocks give a planted feel and soak up potholes, dips, railroad crossings and speed bumps so much better.

Also, no more bobblehead action when pulling out of the driveway or going over small curbs.

4 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

35 psi is good. Any less and MPGs can suffer noticeably.

The Ranchos are Ranchos. Same as what came on the K2 trucks.

They are like pogo sticks because there is no soft compression on the rebound. They act more like a spring more so in the rear than the front pair.

Bilsteins and other monotube design mfg. shocks give a planted feel and soak up potholes, dips, railroad crossings and speed bumps so much better.

Also, no more bobblehead action when pulling out of the driveway or going over small curbs.

I read the threads about the Rancho / Tennecos, but until last night I wasn't as firm of a believer in them being such crap. I just emailed my buddy, who is the owner of the dealer I bought the truck from. Going to start the process of upgrading the shocks, as the truck is just too good in every other area to tolerate a ride like this. 

• Like 1

With so much criticism out there of the Chevy ride quality vs Ram -- you hear it on just about every review that compares the two -- you would think GM would step up their game a little bit on the stock shocks.  Seems like low hanging fruit to improve their competitiveness vs Ram.

• Like 1

Are the Ranchos on the K2 Z71's twin-tube? Or was 2019 the first time that GM put twin-tube Ranchos on the Z71's, but kept the monotube Ranchos on the Trail Boss / AT4s? 

Edited by econometrics

1 hour ago, scdaren said:

With so much criticism out there of the Chevy ride quality vs Ram -- you hear it on just about every review that compares the two -- you would think GM would step up their game a little bit on the stock shocks.  Seems like low hanging fruit to improve their competitiveness vs Ram.

GM is stepping up their game in the SUV market.

2021 Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon (and maybe Escalade) will all have independent rear suspension like the Ford Expedition has had.

GM once again following someone else's lead