Tell me about your Ride Quality - Z71 LT, LTZ and RST

Please tell me about the quality of your ride with your Z71 LT, LTZ or RST.

I have read about the rear end shutter but in the only test drive I took I did not experience it.

Before I order I hope to get to drive down a gravel or rocky road and hopefully some bad pavement.

I will be driving mostly on the highway but I do spend about 40 days/year at my South Texas Deer Lease with some choppy gravel/rock roads.

My 2011 Z71 has the original Rancho Shocks and while they may feel rough at times and chatter some I guess I am just used to it.

I hunt mostly out of my Polaris Ranger but use my truck when hauling 20-30 bags of corn and filling feeders.

I also tow a 6,000 LB travel trailer about 1,000 per year.

I don't mind spending $400-600 for upgraded shocks if I need to but there are not many choices available yet.

I do not intend to lift my new truck and don't need high dollar coil over shocks.

Evidently the Bilstein 5100 is not available and it sounds like ICON 2.0 may be the best current option in my price range (if required)

Thanks for you input and be sure and call your Mom today and be nice to the Wife!!! 

Not happy with mine but I've taken steps to minimize it and haven't gotten it this bad again. I can live with the stutter.

The difference is on my F-150, I'd go about 35 mph and all four tires would stutter but the vehicle remained stable and it never fishtailed.

The Silverado's front end didn't stutter and stayed gripped to the road while the back end fishtailed. Very dangerous situation and I nearly got rid of it because of that. No curve on that road and I nearly ran a guy off the sidewalk.

I was going 35. Now I have the dashcam and I will sue the hell out of Chevrolet if my truck kills someone.

To be fair, the road was unusually dirty and had dried dirt caked on top from the recent storms. I know it won't happen on regular streets but it is the fishtailing that pissed me off.

Yes, was told about that here in the GM forum but I also noticed reducing my tires to 32 psi helped. It was 44 or 48 when I got it.

The road was unusually dirty that day and had caked dried dirt from the recent floods.

If it does happen again, mono tube shocks are on my list but, for now, it seems to be behaving.

Edited by Wiggums

Your truck has a GVWR over 7,000 lbs and it's a leaf spring solid rear axle suspension. Kicking out a bit when the truck is empty is pretty typical for the setup. Especially a truck with the Z71 package as the twin tube Ranchos tend to be firm riding. Ford usually tunes their rear suspension a little softer to help with that a bit but it also means the truck tends to sag a bit more with weight in the back. You can either put a little weight in the bed or shocks may help a bit. Your wheel size and tire profile can affect it too. The less sidewall, the more energy is sent into the suspension instead of being absorbed by the tires.

Edited by HondaHawkGT
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bikeman said:

19 z71 rst, best ride in any truck I've ever driven. Have not been off road though.

I actually agree here, the ride is exceptional compared to other trucks I've driven. The front end handles very well and the steering is sharper than others.

The difference in handling and ride quality between the K2 trucks and the T1 trucks is amazing. The improvement in turn radius is especially impressive. It's a shame that the auto journalists didn't bother to note the improvement in ride and handling. It's partly GM's fault since some reviewers were given trucks with the max GVWR available which can make the ride pretty firm. GM should really consider offering suspension packages with a shock that isn't made by Rancho.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

My RST Z71 rides amazing. Feels like a luxury SUV going down the road. Especially at high speeds. 

I do think it feels a bit “bouncy” from side to side at slower speeds (eg turning into a bumpy driveway approach). 

As others have noted here, I reduced my tire pressure to 35 front and 33 rear. I rarely haul anything. That seems to have helped a little with the rear end stutter. But I do want to upgrade my twin tube Ranchos sometime soon. 

2 hours ago, econometrics said:

My RST Z71 rides amazing. Feels like a luxury SUV going down the road. Especially at high speeds. 

I do think it feels a bit “bouncy” from side to side at slower speeds (eg turning into a bumpy driveway approach). 

As others have noted here, I reduced my tire pressure to 35 front and 33 rear. I rarely haul anything. That seems to have helped a little with the rear end stutter. But I do want to upgrade my twin tube Ranchos sometime soon. 

I agree, I have an LTZ Z71. 

The only time the ride bothers me is over slow obstacles like wide speed bumps or potholes, and like econometrics said side to side motions are poorly managed.  The truck doesn't bounce the tires, but rather rolls around like a giant Chevy Boat. 

High speed manners are much better and comfortable, I would say just about perfect, really.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, Snuff said:

Have you considered mono tube shocks for the rear?

Z71 package on Silverado and X31 package on Sierra come with Rancho Monotubes.

Same Rancho as with the K2 trucks.