I'm convinced Chevy/GMC do not want to sell vehicles...

7 minutes ago, Daverado said:

I actually thought about this a bit when I was shopping.  A well-equipped X3 was in roughly the same price range as my HC.

Thing is though, if BMW, Merc ever make a full-size truck it's not going to be in the same market as Denali or High Country.

In terms of luxury, Denalis... really aren't.  They might compare to the X3-series.. even that's a stretch though when you look

at fit and finish.  Feature-for-feature bullet points on the spec-sheet perhaps, but definitely not quality of materials or assembly.

Leather stitching on my HC seats is kinda crap for instance, nowhere near BMW quality.  It's very obvious at the rear-seat

storage compartment doors.

If the X3 costs the same roughly similarly equipped, then what is an X3 with Silverado technical capability going to cost?

Two-speed transfer case, reinforced frame?  BMW isn't throwing those in for free.

Oh, and it's a big vehicle, so they will no longer market it in the same segment anyway.  It's a 7-series truck.

A full-size BMW truck technically comparable to the Denali is not a $70k vehicle, it's a $130k vehicle minimum.

That's why they don't exist.  There's no market for the vehicle they would make, really.

I'm not sure it's true that there isn't a market for $130k pickups.  People seem to be buying plenty at the top end of the scale, who is to say those buyers wouldn't go higher if a truck wasn't available?  Also consider that BMW sold something like 350,000 cars in the US across it's entire line in 2018.  Ford, GM and RAM combined for over 2 million pickup trucks.  How many trucks would BMW or Mercedes really need to sell to justify putting one into the market?  

If they could sell a non-lux version of the same vehicle in their overseas commercial markets that might make it work, but then you run into what is known as the "chicken tax" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax).  It's a 25% tariff on light trucks imported into the US.  So if they wanted to sell it here, they would need to build it here.

Why let you know when you are him? Two posts on the same page glowing over him? Hmm, who could this person actually be? 

OP, part of the reason it is difficult to find a specific truck compared to a luxury car brand (that is part of the reason these trucks are so expensive, those owners coming over) is there are many more options. Bed, cab, axle, engine, color, style drive, packages, etc. Much harder to find specific setups if that is what you are looking for. Besides, what did you expect going from a luxury car dealer network to a regular one? That is well known.... Maybe stick with the luxury cars? I have a feeling you will be disappointed after driving for a while in the amenities, fit and finish, ride, etc...

Tyler
Lmao now that's funny! I wish to a degree as he's got more money than I I'm sure. Thanks for the laugh though! For a car salesman he actually seems more customer orientated vs the general stuff you have to put up with at car dealers. I get a kick out of watching salesman trying to convince someone that knows what their doing that they can sell them a vehicle for the price they set. A good salesman will know there's going to be some negotiations involved but also knows how to listen to the customer.

Thanks for the compliment though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it's true that there isn't a market for $130k pickups.  People seem to be buying plenty at the top end of the scale, who is to say those buyers wouldn't go higher if a truck wasn't available?  Also consider that BMW sold something like 350,000 cars in the US across it's entire line in 2018.  Ford, GM and RAM combined for over 2 million pickup trucks.  How many trucks would BMW or Mercedes really need to sell to justify putting one into the market?  

If they could sell a non-lux version of the same vehicle in their overseas commercial markets that might make it work, but then you run into what is known as the "chicken tax" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax).  It's a 25% tariff on light trucks imported into the US.  So if they wanted to sell it here, they would need to build it here.
They could easily build it here look at what Toyota and everybody else does. My cousin used to work for Tecumseh down in Tupelo Mississippi area they went out of business I am for a while it was up in Tennessee are Kentucky I can't recall which one working at the Toyota plant getting his training and now he works at the Toyota Manufacturing in the Tupelo Mississippi area. He's a electrician. Sounds like he changes out those electric motors and fixes the computerized equipment that keeps the lines running. He's not Union either. It's how the car manufacturers broke the unions they went South to the southern part of the United States and they're making money even if they say they're not it's creative bookkeeping.

Also, Negotiating a “Final Price” is a good way to get sent walking. Be reasonable in your expectations.

What do you mean by final price? I'm assuming you don't mean the OTD price.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I'll buy you the truck of your dreams. No hassle. Just email me the specs you want, then I will send you my PayPal address to send me the $60K to go get it. I'll send you whatever is left over. 

BTW, I am a Nigerian Prince so I can get some killer discounts! 

• Haha 2

What do you mean by final price? I'm assuming you don't mean the OTD price.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

If you go to a dealer and say “give me your best/final price” and then try to negotiate off that price, 9/10 times you will get walked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good way to see what is actually on the dealer lot (without the marketing fluff the dealer site presents), including the details you need: VIN, complete options installed, the actual window sticker and pricing, is to use the www.gmfamilyfirst.com website.  Any dealer add-ons will not be listed, such as after-market tires.

This is the employee portal, which I've been fortunate to leverage for many years.  In the past, you had to have a log in.  This is not the case any more.  Just go to the website > tools > build & price.  Enter your zip, select the options you want, then search.

Of course, it shows the employee price you would pay if you qualified for "GMS" pricing.  This gives you a basis, but more often than not, this is lower than the deal you would get negotiating.  Not always the case of course.

• Like 1

It can become quite a battle.  I was surprised on how a few dealers let me walk off the lot after refusing to pay as little as 1,000 over the quoted price.  The whole thing is getting a price, and that price matching what you pay.  It took me about 2 months to finally score my 19.  Definitely worth the wait ! 

Ive bought a few cars in my life...

In 2004, I bought a new SIerra CC. I called internet sales and we agreed on a price in 5mins. I had my own financing, the financing dept played numbers game for the first few contracts. I walked, the sales lady asked what was wrong and I told her. She walked into finance and the contract that was printed after "elevated voice conversation" was correct. Bought a 2008 Tahoe, almost identical experience.   

In 2010 I bought a used Chevy product from a Porsche dealership. Treated like royalty by sales, after an extended test drive and dinner (not paid for by the dealer), I returned and the contract was done, no add ons, correct finance info and final price. Wife at the time along with me, the finance and sales guy chatted cars for almost an hour. Sales guy followed up for a few months with phone calls, then follow up emails (most likely seeking further business, but professional)

Now, its time to replace my trusty 2004. Went to a local GMC dealership and asked to test drive a 6.2 on their lot. Sales guy brings me a 5.3. I then asked if the 6.2 I called about was still on their lot and he stated it was, but they are the same engine and this one gets better mileage. I again asked for the 6.2 and he again stated that they are the same engine and the 5.3 gets better mileage.We walked. 

Still a GM person at heart, but compared to other makes that Ive bought, GM seems to just not want to close sales, possibly take advantage of me/other customers through shady numbers games, and definitely not know their product. Ive had to come on this forum and verify I could not get the Technology package on an SLT, even though the dealership (diff dealer than the 5.3/6.2 issue) said I could order an SLT with HUD. 

• Thanks 1

One of the most annoying, irritating things that can happen when buying a new vehicle is when the sales rookie tries to teach you - the well-informed buyer - what you should need and want. Ugh. 

What a disappointing experience, 04SierraSLT. Mind boggling. 

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2019 at 8:06 AM, ShortMag said:

These guys are selling cars for a living. Let that sink in for a minute. If they weren’t doing that they’d be more likely to be in rehab than Hold a job for more than a few months. Spend 10 minutes on this forum and you’ll know more about the product than they do. They don’t want to order you a truck because they’ll be working at the dealer down the road (if not the used car lot next door) when it comes in 

This is an effective capture in my experience. Often the sales person is not a "CAR/TRUCK" guy.  He is happy to have a job that an in law or friend got him. Their knowledge of vehicles is page 1-3 brochure deep at best.  Similar to a lot of real estate agents. There seems minimal time taken to understand the product being pedaled. They see it as you getting new shoes. As long as you think they look good, all good to them. I have come to expect to do all my own educating. 

This is not all of them. This is too many of them though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, econometrics said:

One of the most annoying, irritating things that can happen when buying a new vehicle is when the sales rookie tries to teach you - the well-informed buyer - what you should need and want. Ugh. 

What a disappointing experience, 04SierraSLT. Mind boggling. 

This last snafu may work in my favor. I may hold out for a minute and test drive the new 3.0D...Comparing apples to oranges, but after driving a couple of F250 Powerstrokes, Im "addicted" to the instant tq. 

23 minutes ago, 04SierraSLT said:

This last snafu may work in my favor. I may hold out for a minute and test drive the new 3.0D...Comparing apples to oranges, but after driving a couple of F250 Powerstrokes, Im "addicted" to the instant tq. 

Hopefully they don’t try to give you a 6.6 to drive and say it’s the same engine...

I know GM monitors this forum. They should really be reaching out to you guys who have had bad experiences and offer you something. At least I would if I were them. It’s pretty pathetic.

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Hopefully they don’t try to give you a 6.6 to drive and say it’s the same engine...

I know GM monitors this forum. They should really be reaching out to you guys who have had bad experiences and offer you something. At least I would if I were them. It’s pretty pathetic.

I dont blame GM, I blame the dealerships. Maybe they will offer a 2500 6.6 for the price of the 1500 3.0...lol  "Same engine, just more power/tq"

• Like 1

Ive bought a few cars in my life...

In 2004, I bought a new SIerra CC. I called internet sales and we agreed on a price in 5mins. I had my own financing, the financing dept played numbers game for the first few contracts. I walked, the sales lady asked what was wrong and I told her. She walked into finance and the contract that was printed after "elevated voice conversation" was correct. Bought a 2008 Tahoe, almost identical experience.   

In 2010 I bought a used Chevy product from a Porsche dealership. Treated like royalty by sales, after an extended test drive and dinner (not paid for by the dealer), I returned and the contract was done, no add ons, correct finance info and final price. Wife at the time along with me, the finance and sales guy chatted cars for almost an hour. Sales guy followed up for a few months with phone calls, then follow up emails (most likely seeking further business, but professional)

Now, its time to replace my trusty 2004. Went to a local GMC dealership and asked to test drive a 6.2 on their lot. Sales guy brings me a 5.3. I then asked if the 6.2 I called about was still on their lot and he stated it was, but they are the same engine and this one gets better mileage. I again asked for the 6.2 and he again stated that they are the same engine and the 5.3 gets better mileage.We walked. 

Still a GM person at heart, but compared to other makes that Ive bought, GM seems to just not want to close sales, possibly take advantage of me/other customers through shady numbers games, and definitely not know their product. Ive had to come on this forum and verify I could not get the Technology package on an SLT, even though the dealership (diff dealer than the 5.3/6.2 issue) said I could order an SLT with HUD. 

IF you can't get it with them just go with the Cadillac Escalade as my sister in law bought one over a year ago with it. Pretty nice tech. Talking with her husband I think he said they had it with the mlbet before as well. I have the poor man's version of "HUD" with my 04 Chevy Tahoe paired up with my Galaxy Note 9. I get speed, direction and GPS and nothing more.