who's gonna be the Corsa 6.2L guinea pig?

I'm really hesitant to drop $1200+ on a cat back that doesn't even have a sound clip out yet, but dang I'm getting bored with this pitifully silent stock exhaust.  I also hesitate because I think I'd prefer Borla as I like the deeper tone better than the raspy, but they're dragging feet badly.  Also waiting for Range to release the DFM disabler cuz I can't imagine what these things are gonna sound like with performance exhaust running on 2 cylinders.  

Wish you could buy patience.  I certainly have none!  

Has anyone ordered the new Corsa system for the 6.2L yet?

I haven't order it - yet.  It is high on my list of mods.  I would also like to hear a sound clip.  I had the Corsa Sport on my 07 Silverado and loved it.  Right now for me it's a toss up between the GM Performance exhaust and the Corsa exhaust.  

1 hour ago, Robwcormack said:

I'm really hesitant to drop $1200+ on a cat back that doesn't even have a sound clip out yet, but dang I'm getting bored with this pitifully silent stock exhaust.  I also hesitate because I think I'd prefer Borla as I like the deeper tone better than the raspy, but they're dragging feet badly.  Also waiting for Range to release the DFM disabler cuz I can't imagine what these things are gonna sound like with performance exhaust running on 2 cylinders.  

Wish you could buy patience.  I certainly have none!  

Has anyone ordered the new Corsa system for the 6.2L yet?

Borla should be available already.  Also, personally I dont hear any difference when driving with DFM.  My exhaust sounds awesome all the time

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, z1boss said:

Borla should be available already.  Also, personally I dont hear any difference when driving with DFM.  My exhaust sounds awesome all the time

Borla is out for 5.3, but not 6.2

21 hours ago, Maize & Blue said:

What about the Flowmaster American Thunder?  Someone posted a video and I thought it sounded pretty beefy.

I just dont understand why they went 2.5" out on the flowmaster.  That's smaller than factory, and the flow in the 50 series muffler is not as good as the s type borla or the corsa sport.  I'm honestly thinking of just taking the flappers, muffler, and resonators out and putting in a borla xr1 muffler (40946) and just straight pipe for the resonators.  Just cant seem to find if that will be much louder than s type or corsa.  Borla doesnt make any other 3.5" in/out mufflers that I can find.

• Like 1

The Flowmaster is dual 2.5 out. Yes, factory is bigger, but it is single out of the muffler and splits above the axle. Theoretically dual 2.5s all the way out of the muffler will flow at least as well as a single 3.5.

The power increases from any aftermarket set up will be within a few numbers of each other anyway. Getting rid of the ginormous stock muffler and restrictive flappers does 90% of it I’m sure.

Just comes down to the sound you want and price. I wasn’t about to hack apart the stock system and add a bunch of seam welds that will rot out in 3 years, but it’s an option for the over-extended truck buyer I guess...

I have the flowmaster on my 18 6.2 and it sounds good but not to loud. The exhaust is 3.5 inch in and dual 2 1/2 out. My friend had the Borla touring on his 2016 5.3 and it was only 2 inch dual out and looked tiny. He also just put the Borla Atak on his 2019 F150 5.0 and it is also dual 2 inch out.

Edited by Gagliano7

On 5/4/2019 at 7:24 PM, OnTheReel said:

Just comes down to the sound you want and price. I wasn’t about to hack apart the stock system and add a bunch of seam welds that will rot out in 3 years, but it’s an option for the over-extended truck buyer I guess...

I had to laugh at this. 

I had “just a muffler”installed and the flapper removed for less than $200 which, to me at least, makes a lot more sense than shelling out $1000 plus for a full exhaust. Especially if you look at the factory dual exhaust and see that without the flappers and giant stock muffler, it flows freely and is mandrel bent.  Are you really going to feel a huge difference in a 5-10 hp gain vs a full system?  I doubt it. I just want the sound anyway. 

Hell, I can get the TWO seam welds rewelded every 3 years for the life of the truck if they rust and still be waaaay ahead on price. lol. 

Oh yeah - I am in no way shape or form an “over-extended truck buyer”.    I can afford to spend more but why?

To each his own I say. 

Edited by Limelight

I had to laugh at this. 
I had “just a muffler”installed and flapper removes for less than $200 which, to me at least, makes a lot more sense than shelling out $1000 plus for a full exhaust. Especially if you look at the factory dual exhaust and see that without the flappers and giant stock muffler, it flows freely and is mandrel bent.  Are you really going to feel a huge difference in a 5-10 hp gain vs a full system?  I doubt it. I just want the sound anyway. 
Hell, I can get the TWO seam welds rewelded every 3 years for the life of the truck if they rust and still be waaaay ahead on price. lol. 
Oh yeah - I am in no way shape or form an “over-extended truck buyer”.    I can afford to spend more but why?
To each his own I say. 

I agree, and none of your points are wrong. I just laugh the same when people on here hem and haw about spending $1k on cat back for a $60k truck. Seems silly to me, and personally I don’t want a Mickey Mouse exhaust on mine that would be much more leak-prone, crack-prone, rust-prone, etc.

Been down that road enough with other vehicles and it’s always the same shit no matter who does the work. Rust doesn’t sleep here, and doing these “mods” takes an exhaust that would last practically the life the of the vehicle, and converts it to junk.

Sure you can have it repaired every three years and still be ahead, but I buy new vehicles to avoid that stuff. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Also, I assume you kept the resonators otherwise there would be another 4 seam welds there alone. At some point it just gets silly to replace over 50% of the exhaust with junk...

18 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Also, I assume you kept the resonators otherwise there would be another 4 seam welds there alone. At some point it just gets silly to replace over 50% of the exhaust with junk...

The resonator screens are in there and actually it has become a pretty fun deal for me covering them up individually and hearing the difference- it’s dramatic. It makes it like a tunable exhaust really. 

I’ve had some sort of exhaust on every vehicle I’ve owned from full systems to mufflers. I’ve had expensive catback systems  break at all the hangers.  My 4Runner had 125000 miles on the magnaflow before the weld rusted through. I fixed it and went on to 165000 before I sold it. If I get the same with this I’m happy. 

Sounds good- looks good and clean underneath too!

The stock exhaust on these trucks isn’t restrictive besides the muffler and flappers.

Like I said to each his own. I think it’s silly to spend $1200 + when a good portion of what you are buying is already there to begin with. :)

By the way- I don’t want to derail this thread anymore than we have already. I’ve read and respect all your posts so I guess we have to agree to disagree here. 

Please carry on for the Corsa thread!  (Sorry)

1 minute ago, Limelight said:

The resonator screens are in there and actually it has become a pretty fun deal for me covering them up individually and hearing the difference- it’s dramatic. It makes it like a tunable exhaust really. 

I’ve had some sort of exhaust on every vehicle I’ve owned from full systems to mufflers. I’ve had expensive catback systems  break at all the hangers.  My 4Runner had 125000 miles on the magnaflow before the weld rusted through. I fixed it and went on to 165000 before I sold it. If I get the same with this I’m happy. 

Sounds good- looks good and clean underneath too!

The stock exhaust on these trucks isn’t restrictive besides the muffler and flappers.

Like I said to each his own. I think it’s silly to spend $1200 + when a good portion of what you are buying is already there to begin with. :)

Ah, yeah I remember you playing with the mesh screens, pretty cool. 

I don’t think we’re off topic as the OP floated the idea of just modifying the stock exhaust.

The OP’s 6.2 has just the normal “cherry bomb” resonators.

Faced with that, you’re putting two pipes in place of those, for 4 seams, and then at least another two or more seams to replace the vast expanse that used to contain the stock muffler and flappers on each side of it.

I figure at that rate, to get a quality replacement muffler, piping and a person who knows what they are doing to put it together nicely, you’re probably half way to the cat back and still have a bunch of welds that will fail. And I don’t care how nicely it’s done, the work will be obvious, especially on the tailpipes. Hope you can kinda see my logic here.

1 minute ago, OnTheReel said:

Ah, yeah I remember you playing with the mesh screens, pretty cool. 

I don’t think we’re off topic as the OP floated the idea of just modifying the stock exhaust.

The OP’s 6.2 has just the normal “cherry bomb” resonators.

Faced with that, you’re putting two pipes in place of those, for 4 seams, and then at least another two or more seams to replace the vast expanse that used to contain the stock muffler and flappers on each side of it.

I figure at that rate, to get a quality replacement muffler, piping and a person who knows what they are doing to put it together nicely, you’re probably half way to the cat back and still have a bunch of welds that will fail. And I don’t care how nicely it’s done, the work will be obvious, especially on the tailpipes. Hope you can kinda see my logic here.

Oh absolutely I see your logic!

I would never argue that the full catback isn’t better- it definitely is, especially with the scenario you just described.  I forgot the 6.2 has dual flappers too...That would definitely become a frankenexhaust, ha!

When I looked under mine I was like- hell its a no brainer for me. Cut the muffler/flapper out, new stainless muffler, 2 welds, done. Chevy has a pretty nice dual system on there already. 

• Like 1