Removing only the last resonator in the exhaust?

Most likely not since you are keeping the stock muffler and the flapper. Getting rid of the flapper is the main cause of the V4 drone. 

I took mine out and put in a muffler, all else same and i get the chopper sound when it was in V4, i tuned that out and like V8 way better. 

What benefit are you looking for?

If you keep the stock muffler intact, no drone will be present but other than the look of dual exit pipes you are really not gaining anything sound or performance wise.

Well, as stated above, you won't get much sound from that. 

I replaced stock muffler with a magnaflow 18, removed resonator and clamped open the valve. Drone doesn't bother me one bit at that volume with v4 enabled. Perhaps a mild muffler swap in addition to removal of the resonator would get you closer to what you want. 

• Like 1

I have a Carven Progressive muffler installed and removed the flapper valve, still have the resonator. Sounds awesome, low rumble and gets louder if you really get on it.

One thing i wish i kept is the flapper. It would have been perfect but it sort of is since i hate the V4 mode. My transmission is less confused without the V4 mode seems like.

I would recommend the Carven muffler. The guy who put it on thought it was a ricer muffler and doubted the sound but after installing and that first start, he was blown away. Sounds like how a truck should sound.

• Like 1

I just deleted the muffler / flapper valve and left the resonator. I love the sound, good rumble and no drone while driving, very quiet at highway speed. I have DOD disabled and also run a single turbo with no cats, so that will modify the sound a bit.  Just a straight pipe is a super cheap option and I think it sounds great, worth a try I think.  You could possibly even delete the muffler and leave the flapper valve to help v4 drone.  The muffler is also the major restriction for flow, the resonator is straight through. 

I welded it myself using $20 worth of 3" steel pipe.  If you have a buddy with a welder it is an easy evening project. 

Edited by MORLOK
  • Like 1

I have a 2014 Silverado and would like to have dual tail pipes but keeping the OEM muffler and flapper valve intact. I am not looking for any performance gains or noise, simply like the look of dual exhaust much like the new 2019 Silverado's or like the Dodge RAM trucks have been doing for years now. 

8 hours ago, Bob.M said:

I have a 2014 Silverado and would like to have dual tail pipes but keeping the OEM muffler and flapper valve intact. I am not looking for any performance gains or noise, simply like the look of dual exhaust much like the new 2019 Silverado's or like the Dodge RAM trucks have been doing for years now. 

A muffler shop can do that for you im sure but not seeing how you can keep the resonator since they will have to split the pipe after the muffler to make dual where as the resonator is close to the tail pipe.

Just get rid of the resonator, you wont notice a difference in sound. 

• Like 1

I have a 15 and had a muffler shop remove the muffler and weld in a new pipe. Kept the flapper and all resonators. It sounds perfect for what I want. Good sound and no drone with the v4. 

On 5/3/2019 at 9:54 AM, mulage said:

wish someone would make a cool resonator delete with nice dual tip like SLP used to make for the denali years ago

I did the resonator delete on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali. It was a fairly significant increase in exhaust sound.

I just bought in December 2018 a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 ccsb with the 6.2 8spd. I am surprised how good this truck sounds with just a cold air intake. I also am not looking for much louder sound but I have tuned out the AFM/DOD so that is no problem anymore. I am going to leave stock muffler on, take out the flapper and put a Y pipe in and go out back with duals and 3 1/2  16inch long chrome tips. I should have a little deeper sound but hope no drone with this.

Here's a video of my muffler/flapper valve delete for reference. Sounds good, super cheap. I like the sound better than my fiance's 5.7 Hemi Ram with the resonator delete FWIW.

'16 1500 6.2L -

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

On 4/29/2019 at 2:02 PM, Ozer said:

Most likely not since you are keeping the stock muffler and the flapper. Getting rid of the flapper is the main cause of the V4 drone. 

I took mine out and put in a muffler, all else same and i get the chopper sound when it was in V4, i tuned that out and like V8 way better. 

What does the flapper do?  I assume its ok to remove...wont cause check engine light?