May Incentives / Memorial Day Sales

Hoping Chevy looks to retake #2 truck sales spot from Ram with higher May incentives and perhaps an extra Memorial Day sale. I know incentives are usually based on sales and inventory for the previous month. Guessing April will be close or just ahead of Ram. Any owners recall good Memorials day sales?

I hope so, I picked up a Colorado this week for my business, IMO over priced for what they are, but it was that or another Ram 1500. Figure would give the Colorado a shot and see how it holds up, a 1500 anything was just big for what we needed.

I bought my personal Suburban this month and the dealer was pretty good to work with on that, I figure would try them out for my business needs.

Ram has nothing midsized and will not have anything, the Ranger is out for sure at this time, they are doing well with those around here, not many in WT trim yet just hanging out. This Chevy dealer had 3 Colorado WT, 1 SB, 2 LB, they seem pretty nice.

Need to add one more vehicle in May to our small work fleet.

So business wise I'm set up with GM now, but have always had better rebates with Ram over the past few years.

Ram actually picks up the lettering of the trucks in some cases $1500, others $500, Chevy dealer did not offer that at all, I think there was more on the table for Chevy for a commerical buy, especially since we are a all FCA for my work vehicles.

Will have to do some digging on the GM sites for trims and the sort for next month.

• Like 1

I’m also wondering if GM will finally get more aggressive with the 2019s in May. 

With so many 2018s still on lots around here in DFW, I’m just not sure they will. 

But man, I have not seen many 2019s on the road. They need to get more aggressive in May if they want to knock RAM back down. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

There were some articles earlier this month after Ram posted better Q1 sales than GM that stated GM was more focused on profit than overall sales and GM wasn't ready to price slash like Ram just to be #2.

Yeah, I saw something from Bloomberg that discussed a similar approach from GM... and that RAM was actually eating margin to sell 2019s. I think we will have to be deeper into the year to really see how well the 2019 RAM is doing compared to the 2019 GMs. 

1/3 of the Q1 RAM sales were from Gen 4 (outgoing) models, not the new RAM. I never read anything that disclosed what % of GM's Q1 sales were K2 / 2018s, but I bet it was also a similarly significant %. 

34 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Yeah, I saw something from Bloomberg that discussed a similar approach from GM... and that RAM was actually eating margin to sell 2019s. I think we will have to be deeper into the year to really see how well the 2019 RAM is doing compared to the 2019 GMs. 

1/3 of the Q1 RAM sales were from Gen 4 (outgoing) models, not the new RAM. I never read anything that disclosed what % of GM's Q1 sales were K2 / 2018s, but I bet it was also a similarly significant %. 

yeah, exactly.

18 hours ago, Timd32 said:

I hope so, I picked up a Colorado this week for my business, IMO over priced for what they are, but it was that or another Ram 1500. Figure would give the Colorado a shot and see how it holds up, a 1500 anything was just big for what we needed.

Any truck today is Overpriced for what they are.

But yes, in most cases you can purchase a full size for the same or less than a Colorado or Tacoma.

Some ZR2's are hitting the 50K mark.

For what its worth. I bought my Silverado Z71 last Memorial weekend. I have checked weekly for a similar truck from my same dealer and the lowest I've seen was $1700 more than what I paid, which was $200 off their advertised price. This includes other 2018's still on their lot today.

I've heard Memorial Day is the best time to buy a 4x4 vehicle and after checking weekly, maybe its true! 

I wanted $1000 off their asking price and they wouldn't budge. After about 4 hours of back and forth I politely walked to look at my other options. I was expecting them to chase me out the door. NOPE! No call or anything. Later my wife said I needed to just go buy the damn thing for the $200 off they offered. So I did.. haha

But being a cheap ass, i'm happy knowing it has not gotten that low of an asking price since. I'll be watching over May to see what it does, just for curiosity sake. 

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

The people buying RAM trucks are customers GM would not want. I hope GM doesn't go that low for them.

What makes you say that?  I traded a 2015 Silverado LTZ for my 2019 Ram Laramie.  The Ram drove better, was smoother and shifted so much better than my old Chevy.  And, no rear end shimmy like the old Chevy had.

I looked at a new 2019 LTZ silverado and a 2019 GMC Denali before buying the Ram.  The GM interiors felt cheap and hard compared to the Ram.  About the only thing in the GMs that was better was the engine.

I stay on this site because I am waiting for the 2020s, hoping that the ride quality and interior improve to match the exterior improvements before I buy one.

And no, it won't replace the RAM, it will replace a 2017 Buick that my wife no longer wants to drive since we got the RAM.  She loves the RAM and drives it every day now.

So, I have permission to trade the Buick on a new GM truck once they improve the interiors.  

And, I just cannot bring myself to tow my 2018 ZL1 Camaro with a Ram.  I really want a new GM, but they need to step up their game first.

Edited by steveved

7 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

I wanted $1000 off their asking price and they wouldn't budge. After about 4 hours of back and forth I politely walked to look at my other options. I was expecting them to chase me out the door. NOPE! No call or anything. Later my wife said I needed to just go buy the damn thing for the $200 off they offered. So I did.. haha

Yeah, I think the days of "walk away and make them sweat it out and call you back" are passed for most dealerships. I know it still works from time to time, but with the buy direct model taking over, most dealers price the vehicles just above invoice to sell them off and be done with it. Few are willing to lose on a deal just to move metal. 

2 minutes ago, steveved said:

I looked at a new 2019 LTZ silverado and a 2019 GMC Denali before buying the Ram.  The GM interiors felt cheap and hard compared to the Ram.  About the only thing in the GMs that was better was the engine.

I think buyers like you are more the norm now than those buying a RAM because they don't have any serious interest in a GM.

When I first started researching what to replace my 2007 LT Crew with, I went into it very open minded. Sure, I have a soft spot for the Silverado, but I really looked hard at F-150 and RAM. 

I would say that 9 out of 10 reviews that I read / watched online gave the new GMs a very fair shake, but clearly indicated that the RAM was the best of the 2019 class. 

In the real world (not in a GM forum), you cannot discount the influence that these reviews have with the modern truck buyer. Outside of the brand loyalists, the modern buyers are very influenced by creature comforts. 

As you said, steveved, the GM interiors have a cheap feel to them. That's very quickly noticeable, and it's the very first thing I noticed when I got into a 2019 for the first time. However, my affinity for Chevy ultimately won over and I bought a 2019 RST. I'm very happy with my purchase, but in the end, I've proven that I'm a brand loyal buyer. 

• Like 1

I honestly felt like a traitor for the first few weeks with the RAM.  I have owned nothing but GM products for 35 years.

But after driving all 3 trucks, we went with the RAM.  Neither of the GM trucks really felt like a $60k truck.  They felt like an over priced $50k truck.

I really want another GM.  And am patiently waiting for them to improve and be worthy of their lofty asking prices.

Edited by steveved
  • Like 1