Weight Distribution Hitch for Trail Boss

I have a 17 foot travel trailer that probably pushes 4000 lbs fully loaded. It uses the chain and bar type weight distribution hitch with a friction bar for sway control. The draw bar isnt adjustable for height and the whole setup is just beat.

My trail boss being a couple inches higher than my old 16 k2, I'd just like to replace the whole setup.

Anyone have a recommendation for an easy height adjustable draw bar setup with bars and chains for weight distribution?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

None adjust very easily for height, but they're not that difficult if you have the right tools.  I have a set-up from Eaz-lift and the two bolts for height adjustment are torqued to 240 ft/lbs.  Some go 280-320 ft/lbs.  It takes a bit to adjust the head, but once it's set up, it's a done deal.  

Thanks any links or pics?

I did measure the height of my hitch ball on my old truck before trading it in. So I have some reference as a starting point. Honestly I think I am borderline for even needing weight distribution and could probably just go with sway control. But with a leer cap that weighs probably 250 lbs, all the camping gear in the bed, plus everything in the camper I am sure I am close to exceeding the payload of the truck. We usually go camping for 8 to 10 days in the summer so the wife brings everything but the kitchen sink.

13 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Thanks any links or pics?

I did measure the height of my hitch ball on my old truck before trading it in. So I have some reference as a starting point. Honestly I think I am borderline for even needing weight distribution and could probably just go with sway control. But with a leer cap that weighs probably 250 lbs, all the camping gear in the bed, plus everything in the camper I am sure I am close to exceeding the payload of the truck. We usually go camping for 8 to 10 days in the summer so the wife brings everything but the kitchen sink.

Check the manufacture of your hitch.  Allot of the time you can buy just a new shank that has more adjustment IE more adjusting holes and longer. I had to this once when I switched vehicles. Still cost a few dollars but was way cheaper then then replacing the entire unit.

Check the manufacture of your hitch.  Allot of the time you can buy just a new shank that has more adjustment IE more adjusting holes and longer. I had to this once when I switched vehicles. Still cost a few dollars but was way cheaper then then replacing the entire unit.
That is a good idea. And might be a fall back if the entire thing is too costly.

My current one that was thrown in by previous owner of camper is rated for 1200 lbs so it's overkill for my camper. Looking to get one a little more appropriate rating for the size of the camper.