2019 RST Z71 Rear Gear Ratio

I had to use 4L a couple weeks ago to get over a very tricky position when my wheels were on dirt and my front tire was against a curb with a brick wall 2 feet away. Behind me was another car inches away from the back bumper of my truck.

44 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I had to use 4L a couple weeks ago to get over a very tricky position when my wheels were on dirt and my front tire was against a curb with a brick wall 2 feet away. Behind me was another car inches away from the back bumper of my truck.

:rolleyes:

Tyler

12 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

:rolleyes:

Tyler

I don't know where you're getting at.

In 2WD, the rear tires kept slipping on the loose dirt, so much for the "locking" axle. In 4H, I'd have a small chance of overshooting the tall curb and hitting the brick wall. Fortunately, I was able to use 4L and it got out of the situation nicely, without fuss.

I take it you don't have two-speed transfer case?

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

I don't know where you're getting at.

In 2WD, the rear tires kept slipping on the loose dirt, so much for the "locking" axle. In 4H, I'd have a small chance of overshooting the tall curb and hitting the brick wall. Fortunately, I was able to use 4L and it got out of the situation nicely, without fuss.

I take it you don't have two-speed transfer case?

Would L1 have worked?

25 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Would L1 have worked?

I thought I already covered that with "dirt road" - needed all four wheels, needed to go VERY slow to get the front tire over the curb, and not to overshoot and hit the wall.

If I had it on 4H, I could have done that but there was the risk of overshooting and hitting the wall or not using enough power and hitting the car behind me that was inches away from my rear bumper.

I can see how you're trying to be stupid.. so I took the liberty of setting you on ignore.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I thought I already covered that with "dirt road" - needed all four wheels, needed to go VERY slow to get the front tire over the curb, and not to overshoot and hit the wall.

If I had it on 4H, I could have done that but there was the risk of overshooting and hitting the wall or not using enough power and hitting the car behind me that was inches away from my rear bumper.

I can see how you're trying to be stupid.. so I took the liberty of setting you on ignore.

Ayuh...I could be wrong... but I don’t think CPL was trying to be a smartass there. If you ignore everyone on the forum, there is no forum...:P

• Thanks 1

Don't really care about those with smart ass comments. I had an issue with my truck.. and now others have mentioned similar issues.. but I had to deal with snarky comments from those who weren't there.

Only 16 are now set on ignore, they weren't there to see the situation I was in and didn't have to give me this crap. Just like now.. I was in a situation where 4L was needed and, again, they simply weren't there to see it.

Besides, the less snark, the better.

Edited by Wiggums
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Ayuh...I could be wrong... but I don’t think CPL was trying to be a smartass there. If you ignore everyone on the forum, there is no forum...:P

You are correct that no snark was intended.  As mentioned above, I'm trying to figure out if 4L is actually required on a truck or if you can make do with other technology/workarounds.  Wiggums clearly seems to think it is required and isn't willing to consider or discuss any other options.  Sad when someone has to misconstrue an honest question as being a smartass.  Oh well, his loss...

• Like 1

GM knows how the trucks are used thanks to On-star. They probably see that the majority of half-tons rarely if ever use 4L. I don't think it should be a situation where wanting the max tow package forces the removal of the 2-speed tcase, but I can understand offering the 1-spd tcase with the optional of upgrading to a normal 2-spd tcase.