2019 RST Z71 Rear Gear Ratio

19 hours ago, econometrics said:

I think max payload for the Max package on a 5.3L crew cab is 2,190. My non-Max tow RST 5.3L is 1,849. So that’s a 341# difference. 

With 960# on the tongue, you can still have nearly 500# of cargo with 2 200# adults in the truck. Pretty good. 

Maybe I should go for an LTZ with NHT and the 6.2, which gets the 2 speed transfer case... Best of both worlds? 

21 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Maybe I should go for an LTZ with NHT and the 6.2, which gets the 2 speed transfer case... Best of both worlds? 

If you've got the money, I would. 

I would have bought the 6.2L w/10spd if they offered it in the RST package. Not because I need it, but because... why not? Lol! MPG is pretty much the same, no matter what the EPA guestimates say. 

Edited by econometrics
  • Like 1

Just be aware that with the addition of the 6.2L, you do lose a little on the payload due to a heavier truck. I believe the 6.2L Max Tow is rated less for payload capacity than the 5.3L Max Tow. Around 100# or so. 

Since it's really hard to find these #'s all in one place, I'm uploading this from the Silverado book I got from my dealer. 

IMG_3034.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, econometrics said:

If you've got the money, I would. 

I would have bought the 6.2L w/10spd if they offered it in the RST package. Not because I need it, but because... why not? Lol! MPG is pretty much the same, no matter what the EPA guestimates say. 

I've always been leaning towards 5.3 since it has the capability I need and RST has the features I want so why pay $7700 more for the opportunity to burn premium while reducing my payload by adding on heavy features I could live without. However, some comments I've seen on here have me wondering if I need a 2 speed transfer case. I'm already convinced I need NHT.

Just now, Cpl_Punishment said:

I've always been leaning towards 5.3 since it has the capability I need and RST has the features I want so why pay $7700 more for the opportunity to burn premium while reducing my payload by adding on heavy features I could live without. However, some comments I've seen on here have me wondering if I need a 2 speed transfer case. I'm already convinced I need NHT.

Yeah, putting premium gas in the thing is really what creates the heartburn for me. My wife had an Acura SUV that we had to put top tier gas into. Man, I did the math on what that cost us each year... not a fun calculation just to drive the car down the road. 

I haven't searched, but it would be great if some truck channel did a review on the non-2 speed transfer case option that GM is producing now. GM is calling it "Terrain Mode", and you activate it in the Drive Mode Selector on the top left of the dash (where Tow/Haul is). 

It's supposed to mimic 4L, but I haven't read any real-world feedback on that yet. 

Premium gas? There's no real need to put in premium. Acura would require premium but not Chevrolet.

I just had to use the 2-speed transfer case while camping, my truck could not move because I had it placed right at the curb and another car was right behind me. Making matters worse was I was on a dirt road so the back tires kept slipping. Fortunately, I had 4L and was able to get out of the situation. Nice feature and you'll appreciate it when you need it.

I don't know about Terrain Mode, I had to move REALLY slow because there was a brick wall about a foot away from the curb and I had to move VERY slow because I wasn't sure if I would hit it.

10 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Ahh. I thought it was required, but it looks like it's just recommended. That's good. 

I thought I read that the 6.2 gets detuned by the computer if you put regular in it, essentially giving it the same numbers as the 5.3 (but I can't remember where I read that so I apologize if I'm mis remembering). If that's true, then I really see no point in paying $7700 extra as, from what I've read on here, it doesn't sound like the 10 speed is THAT much better than the 8 speed. 

I have a friend who puts regular in his K2 6.2. When I asked him about the fact that guys on here say that engine will sometimes knock on 91 octane, let alone 87, his response was that he's deaf. Don't get me wrong, this guy works on a farm and has towed and hauled with Chevys all his life but I thought his response was a bit strange. He also pretended not to hear when I asked about the down tuning of the engine on regular. ?

Interestingly enough, I just realised that the fuel economy numbers on the Chevy website don't match the ones in the Silverado brochure: 

5.3: 19/26 mpg

6.2: 21/21 mpg

Brochure: 

6.2: 19/24 mpg

Either way, probably doesn't justify the added cost of premium. 

7 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Interestingly enough, I just realised that the fuel economy numbers on the Chevy website don't match the ones in the Silverado brochure: 

6.2: 21/21 mpg

Brochure: 

6.2: 19/24 mpg

Either way, probably doesn't justify the added cost of premium. 

What’s more, the window sticker for my 6.2 NHT doesn’t match either one of those. 16 city, 20 hwy, 17 combined.

10 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Those are not the same numbers I see? Website lists the 5.3L DFM 4x4 CC as 16/22 and the brochure I have is 16/22 as well.

9 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

What’s more, the window sticker for my 6.2 NHT doesn’t match either one of those. 16 city, 20 hwy, 17 combined.

Sorry, we're using UK gallons in Canada, not U.S. gallons. Once I do the conversion, the numbers from your 6.2 window sticker match the ones in our brochure and the 6.2 number on the Canadian website looks like your window sticker combined number. 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

That makes sense now. The imperial gallon makes the economy sound a lot better than it is! 19 city is a dream...

In regards to 4L, I use it once in awhile on a steep or slick boat ramp, or if my trailer is sunk in the mud and need some extra umph to pull it out of the yard. Just going down the road with a travel trailer it's obviously a non-issue. Really stinks they make you pick one or the other unless you pony up for the 6.2 though.

• Like 1