Nearly $70k for my new 2019 GMC AT4, and NO LOCKING GAS CAP!?!?!? WTH?!?! My 15 C7 Vette has a proximity latch that pops right open when you're at the pump. I've rented subcompacts with this feature, so please explain Why In The Heck didn't GM put one on either their 2018 Chevy or 2019 GMC trucks. 

Does anyone have a line on an aftermarket fix? I'm considering pulling one out of a wrecked Vette or something. 

AT4 Fuel Door III.jpg

Edited by BigEdB
Add Pic.

• 9 months later...

Dear Chevrolet: I am a little disappointed that the 2020 3500 HD w/6.6L Diesel engine that I have on order will not come with what I consider to be a mandatory safety feature! Namely a locking fuel door! Besides leaving the fuel filler accessible to anyone with a finger, the fact that the DEF filler is also located in the same unsecured location is totally unacceptable. Given the havoc that can be wreaked by persons wanting to add damaging fluids to either one of the filler spouts, I just find this Foolish & ridiculous!

• 4 weeks later...

We had a brief crime spree here in Edmonton, of thieves being real a-holes and drilling holes in the gas tank to steal fuel last fall/early winter...

Couldn't have been the smartest guys, as it's not unusual for battery powered drills to have some sparking internally as they operate, and with them getting a regular bath in gasoline...

On 4/10/2019 at 12:42 AM, BigEdB said:

Nearly $70k for my new 2019 GMC AT4, and NO LOCKING GAS CAP!?!?!? WTH?!?! My 15 C7 Vette has a proximity latch that pops right open when you're at the pump. I've rented subcompacts with this feature, so please explain Why In The Heck didn't GM put one on either their 2018 Chevy or 2019 GMC trucks. 

Does anyone have a line on an aftermarket fix? I'm considering pulling one out of a wrecked Vette or something. 

Uh.....Because it has a CAPLESS fuel fill system?

Feel free to try the locking cap that GM sells if you want, but its 2017-2019.  Not sure if it fits the 2020 filler.  P/N is 84308352

1 hour ago, MORSNO said:

Up here in AK they just drilled holes through the bottom of the tanks also.  I don't want to be fumbling with my keys around the gas cap anyway, the price is pain full enough

I hear ya, in Oregon we by law can’t pump our own gas, so it would be a PITA - although if it isn’t the looters through the fill/cap (if they just drill the tank) it will be the stupid kids with nothing else to do filling with sugar or something else.  It’s just a deterrent for idiots, we all know full well is someone really wants something they’ll get it.  I just don’t want to be the easiest target on the block, with a 40 gallon tank to boot. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I ran across this thread and I am like a few people, capless fuel is fine, but really no basic locking mechanism for the fuel door. All it would have taken was for GM to install a solenoid locking system in conjunction with the door lock and unlock circuit to make it happen. So, without a major design and mod for a locking fuel door here is what I came up with. If you like it or dislike it, it doesn't matter to me. My OCD is now relaxed knowing the fuel door is locked. The parts you need will be a JR Products 00175 Compartment Door Key Lock - 1-1/8", $11.87 on amazon, a 2" FERNCO rubber cap from Home Depot to keep the dust out and finally a 70K GMC Sierra Denali, local dealer. Oh, the locking cap GM sells is junk, since it is easily removable by flexing the housing and it pops right off. 

Another thing, the door facia or applique comes off very easily by lifting the tab, it comes off with a little force without moving the tab, it is 92.00 part from GM un painted, the hinge mechanism and well is 20.00 from GM. If I was one of those neighbors I can add a collection of fuel doors already painted and ready to go for EBAY. 

Installing the cam lock as gaudy as it may look for some, it actually secures the door to the hinge assembly. You would have to remove the lock to remove the door.

20201004_183927.thumb.jpg.9cfb321bcca976f00c6a1effb5088436.jpg20201004_183717.thumb.jpg.652df071f1220495e4a00dfc740d7789.jpg20201004_183653.jpg.5f996076be3f314425e2d8d4a4420c3b.jpg20201004_183615.jpg.e46926ec5d91c74ee5bb9c254a15092e.jpg20201004_183736.thumb.jpg.40316819de02df6f148f515f4449c786.jpg

20201004_183807.jpg

Edited by AsianCajun

Gas thieves is not my worry.  I have had a previous truck vandalized and things poured into the gas tank.  Luckily I discovered it before actually driving it and was since they slit the tires my insurance claim covered everything including the fuel tanks.  This did not happen at home where it is garage kept.

People are pricks and it could happen even at work or while shopping.  Every few years I hear of a string of car vandals happening, usually teenagers, and putting sugar or something similar into gas tanks is one of the common things they do.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, needfulgolfer said:

Perhaps a better investment would be a garage or a house in a ZIP code that doesn't regularly see fuel thieves? I have never met anyone with a locking gas door before.  This seems silly.

My 2020 Kia has a locking gas door.  If the car doors are locked so is the fuel door.  Car doors unlocked so is the fuel door.