Lifting or Leveling? Opinions on towing performance and looks?

On 4/18/2019 at 11:30 AM, Cruising1976 said:

Have a 2inch level and just installed ko2 285/65r20.  No rub so far.  I will likely block the back 1in to keep a 1/2 rake.  Right now the front is 1/2 high.  I also may go with just a front 1.5inch level and leave the rear alone. 

9D7EB39F-EABB-4A56-99E9-80A9C7F9BB90.jpeg

Damn that looks sick!  That's a 34.6" x 11.5" tire with no rubbing?  I didn't think that was possible.  What leveling kit did you go with?

2 minutes ago, Maize & Blue said:

Can you please post pics once the install is complete?  I just ordered a MotoFab 2" for the front and a 1" block for the back.  I haven't seen many '19s with this setup and am curious how mine will look.  Like Treehugger, I tow a lot so I'd like to keep some rake for the hitch weight though I do use a WD hitch so the sag shouldn't be too much.  With my public school math, I currently have 2" of rake stock so the 2" spacer in the front will level it then I'll add the 1" block in the back which should give me 1" of rake.  At some point in the future I'll swap the shocks out with Bilsteins but they don't have anything available for the '19 Sierras yet.

Will do. The motofab is what I got.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 3:50 PM, Maize & Blue said:

Can you please post pics once the install is complete?  I just ordered a MotoFab 2" for the front and a 1" block for the back.  I haven't seen many '19s with this setup and am curious how mine will look.  Like Treehugger, I tow a lot so I'd like to keep some rake for the hitch weight though I do use a WD hitch so the sag shouldn't be too much.  With my public school math, I currently have 2" of rake stock so the 2" spacer in the front will level it then I'll add the 1" block in the back which should give me 1" of rake.  At some point in the future I'll swap the shocks out with Bilsteins but they don't have anything available for the '19 Sierras yet.

Here is the before and after.  This is Motofab CH-2F-1R.  This did not go as expected.  My understanding was the Motofab kit would give me a 2" block that would replace the 1" factory stock block.  Turns out, my truck did not have a factory block, so I got a 2" lift both front and back, and have slightly more rake than I had before.

Wheel well measurements:

Before:  37 3/4" front, 39" rear

After: 39 3/4" front, 41 1/8" rear

I'm trying to decide whether I like it like this, or need to put smaller blocks in the back.  On one hand it's not the level look I was going for, but on the other it has an aggressive lifted stance to it, and will not sag when I have stuff in the back, which I often do.  I feel like it definitely needs a rear wheel well liner now.

Thoughts???

truck1.thumb.jpeg.97b6f74d09fc832385e13d608eb7a51c.jpeg

truck2.thumb.jpeg.205c842556cdfc86bcca1d9f35cddefb.jpeg

Edited by scdaren

1 hour ago, scdaren said:

Here is the before and after.  This is Motofab CH-2F-1R.  This did not go as expected.  My understanding was the Motofab kit would give me a 2" block that would replace the 1" factory stock block.  Turns out, my truck did not have a factory block, so I got a 2" lift both front and back, and have slightly more rake than I had before.

Wheel well measurements:

Before:  37 3/4" front, 39" rear

After: 39 3/4" front, 41 1/8" rear

I'm trying to decide whether I like it like this, or need to put smaller blocks in the back.  On one hand it's not the level look I was going for, but on the other it has an aggressive lifted stance to it, and will not sag when I have stuff in the back, which I often do.  I feel like it definitely needs a rear wheel well liner now.

Thoughts???

truck1.thumb.jpeg.97b6f74d09fc832385e13d608eb7a51c.jpeg

truck2.thumb.jpeg.205c842556cdfc86bcca1d9f35cddefb.jpeg

I think it looks great.  I too prefer a leveled look but often tow or haul heavy stuff so I don’t mind some rake.  I love the white too!  Definitely concur with the liners.

• Like 1

Personally, I think the rear looks a little too high for those tires. Adding the wheel well liners would help a lot, but I think if it were me, I would lower it back down a little. 

Sometimes, with these stock tires, the trucks look like they have skinny little legs on them when they're lifted. The TB's really can tend to look like this with the 18" wheels, IMO. This is why I think the AT4 with the 20"s looks the best. 

I'm glad the tires that came with it are at least a little bit aggressive.  I usually burn through the stock tires in about a year, so won't be that long to get something that fills those holes a little better.  Currently leaning toward leaving it as is... especially since I haven't yet found 1 inch blocks.  Maybe I could get a K2 owner with a lift to give me the ones they removed  :cheers:

Ordered the wheel well liners today.  $169 at my local dealership, and the 20k GM rewards from buying the truck will cover $100 of it.  Takes a week to get them in though, coming from Michigan.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add my 2 cents...  went with a level kit from TrailFX and added 22X9.5 Mayhem Crossfire wheels (HATE the stock Denali wheels) with Toyo AT2 33x12.50 tires.  Fitment is perfect with zero rub.  End result is front sits about 1/2" above rear, so I ordered 1inch block and should be able to get that installed next week.  I tow occasionally, so wanted a little rake left in... here's before and after:

20190509_080603.jpg

20190509_172728.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, scdaren said:

I'm glad the tires that came with it are at least a little bit aggressive.  I usually burn through the stock tires in about a year, so won't be that long to get something that fills those holes a little better.  Currently leaning toward leaving it as is... especially since I haven't yet found 1 inch blocks.  Maybe I could get a K2 owner with a lift to give me the ones they removed  :cheers:

Ordered the wheel well liners today.  $169 at my local dealership, and the 20k GM rewards from buying the truck will cover $100 of it.  Takes a week to get them in though, coming from Michigan.

I have my stock 1" block with U bolts off of my 18" K2 if you're interested!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

I have my stock 1" block with U bolts off of my 18" K2 if you're interested!

Thanks for the offer!  It has about an inch of rake, but with the higher front end, the rake looks much better.  I put on wheel well liners and now it looks even better.  So I think I'm good with the way it looks right now, it's more of an aggressive type of stance now that it's higher overall.  But if I change my mind I will reach out for sure.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Looking for inputs on tires and wheels with a 2" leveling kit on the front and most likely a 1" block at rear on my SLT.

Will the stock rims still  fit?

I am  contemplating a 34" tire but i am afraid it will rub.

The tires i am looking at are Duratrac and KO 2's in the 275 65 r 20 size  which seems to show a height of  34".

What do you guys think ?any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

With any amount of trailer load on the rear of the truck it will be level. It is designed to be a truck and have a load in the bed and then be level and not shinning its lights into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

Lifting is for guys who have trouble picking up chicks (or women) and could care less about off-road or towing performance or their ability to put anything into the bed. With my 2500HD 4WD truck the bed is already 40 inches off the ground and I need to lean past a 24 inch tailgate to put anything into the bed and to get anything out. Now if all I carried were groceries in the cab of the truck it would not matter in the least.

I figure the higher the truck the lower the owner's IQ.

4 minutes ago, Wintersun said:

With any amount of trailer load on the rear of the truck it will be level. It is designed to be a truck and have a load in the bed and then be level and not shinning its lights into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

Lifting is for guys who have trouble picking up chicks (or women) and could care less about off-road or towing performance or their ability to put anything into the bed. With my 2500HD 4WD truck the bed is already 40 inches off the ground and I need to lean past a 24 inch tailgate to put anything into the bed and to get anything out. Now if all I carried were groceries in the cab of the truck it would not matter in the least.

I figure the higher the truck the lower the owner's IQ.

:nopity: