Previous F150 owners inputs on the 2019 gm's

12 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Not really as the G80 is still the exact same piece of junk that it was when it came out in GM trucks in 1973... Its principle of operation is retarded being it shock loads to engage. Shock loading is the most ridiculous way to deal with something under power but GM just keeps on with it.  As long as it lives that big bad 60000 mile warranty not to mention if you did damage it Gm would just call it abuse and void it anyway.  Eaton designed them for low power applications with slow speed engagement... it's just GM thinks its smart putting over 400 hp engines in front of them.

Spools can be dangerous but an actual locker that works correctly is not.   I have a Detroit locker in every single truck I own (5 trucks 5 Detroits)... including my 2017.  My 2013 6.2 half ton will have one soon enough... I can't stand the operation or lack thereof of the Gov bomb. I actually dug the 9.5" carrier and bearing set I had in storage out today and will probably swap it in the next couple weeks.  Carrier swap is an easy job.   Fun fact.. GM used to actually offer the Detroit locker as a factory installed option in the 10.5" 14 bolt.. but times have changed. 

And no the Gov lock is a completely open differential unless the side gear gets locked to the cam plate.  But even then as I said it relies on clutch discs to lock.. not a mechanical engagement of any kind.  The Ford mechanically locks the side gear to the carrier with a lock plate.

The "limited slip" action you get nowdays is from the traction control playing with the rear brakes via the ABS.

I'm only stating what Eaton says right on the M-Locker web page: "During normal driving conditions, the MLocker (G80) functions as a light-bias limited slip differential." " When a low-traction situation occurs... cam plate ramping will continue to increase until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip."

So you say that the G80 isn't a locker. Then what exactly do you think it is? It isn't a limited slip diff. Both wheels get the same amount of torque and the wheels spin at the exact same speed, just like any other locker. The clutches don't slip once it's locked unless an idiot puts friction modifier in the gear lube. Generally they don't shock load unless the person running the go pedal floors it in low traction situations. If you want it to lock, gently increase throttle and it'll lock up gently. I've had it lock so gently I could barely tell it did until I started moving forward.

The G80 in the 10 bolt was absolutely a weak POS. Actually, the 10-bolt was a shitbox in general and the rear ends blew up even when they didn't have a G80. It helped build the reputation that the G80 carries with it yet today. The HD guys blowing up the G80 in their 14 bolt are using their trucks to pull sleds and blow it up or they're just being ignorant, throwing 37's on their Duramax and doing burnouts in the street when they blow up the diff. An E-locker wouldn't stand up to a diesel truck pulling sleds either. The G80 in the newer 9.5" 12 bolt held up well in my trucks while offroading. The carrier is bigger and thicker than the tiny thin one used in the 10B. I actually don't know anyone that's broken one in their 12-bolt. Even here it seemed pretty rare to see reports of a grenaded G80 in the K2 section. I'm sure there are half-ton guys have busted their 12-bolt G80,  but I've also heard of guys busting their E-lockers. They have plenty of problems in the Jeep Wranglers with big tires. The fact that Eaton has made so many design changes with the E-locker in the 20 years it's been around would suggest that they're still having reliability and durability problems with the design.

Spools can be dangerous of course. So can a locker that's still locked at high speeds in slippery conditions such as a wet or snow covered road and tries to go around a tight corner. They would end up spinning out or flying off the road and the manufacturer that put the locker in the vehicle would be sued because that's the kind of society we live in these days. That's why they unlock at 20-25 mph.

• Like 2

Once upon a time I gave my 18 year old female apprentice my one truck for an entire winter.  I live in northern Alberta and she did at least 100 miles a day on it which was pretty well all highway.  Never had a problem... so if an 18 year chick can handle a truck with a Detroit in the winter I would hope most "men" lol... maybe could. I know that's asking a lot for a dangerous device...

Put it this way because I have done it a lot.  Don't mention the traction device in the rear, let others drive it and then ask.  I have yet to have one person even notice I did anything to the truck.  

Yes they shock load to engage....  The only way that they wouldn't is if the diff was totally stationary and you moved the components by hand.  It needs wheel speed differential which it then "locks" together suddenly at around 100 rpm or so. Good thing those rock solid clutches can let it slip... maybe.  I know.. you should never floor your truck with a G80 in it ever from a stop... like who would even think of doing such a thing... The humanity.  Being serious I doubt most would even notice if they broke their G80 as really it's easy to strip the gears on the lock plate and the shaft.  Then it's just open which combined with the brake lock limited slip would get a good majority of buyers by with no issue.  Hell it's all Toyota does in the Tundras... even the TURD Pro Tindra is an open rear end.  The 9.5" is nothing special... don't remember the last 10 bolt truck I actually bought lol. 

The G80 is a joke and why guys defend it I will never know... it's a fragile poorly built piece of shit Gm gives the world of pavement pounders who might spin out on wet grass once in a while.  Off road... yeah okay... like what.. a moderately muddy gravel backroad lol.   I am pretty sure GM could install hand cranks on their trucks and guys on this site would go on about how much more reliable it was then a starter motor lol.  Seems about time GM goes back to rear drum brakes too.. maybe the mid model refresh of these 2019s will do just that.  

Edited by SierraHD17

2 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Once upon a time I gave my 18 year old female apprentice my one truck for an entire winter.  I live in northern Alberta and she did at least 100 miles a day on it which was pretty well all highway.  Never had a problem... so if an 18 year chick can handle a truck with a Detroit in the winter I would hope most "men" lol... maybe could. I know that's asking a lot for a dangerous device...

Put it this way because I have done it a lot.  Don't mention the traction device in the rear, let others drive it and then ask.  I have yet to have one person even notice I did anything to the truck.  

Yes they shock load to engage....  The only way that they wouldn't is if the diff was totally stationary and you moved the components by hand.  It needs wheel speed differential which it then "locks" together suddenly at around 100 rpm or so. Good thing those rock solid clutches can let it slip... maybe.  I know.. you should never floor your truck with a G80 in it ever from a stop... like who would even think of doing such a thing... The humanity.  Being serious I doubt most would even notice if they broke their G80 as really it's easy to strip the gears on the lock plate and the shaft.  Then it's just open which combined with the brake lock limited slip would get a good majority of buyers by with no issue.  Hell it's all Toyota does in the Tundras... even the TURD Pro Tindra is an open rear end.  The 9.5" is nothing special... don't remember the last 10 bolt truck I actually bought lol. 

The G80 is a joke and why guys defend it I will never know... it's a fragile poorly built piece of shit Gm gives the world of pavement pounders who might spin out on wet grass once in a while.  Off road... yeah okay... like what.. a moderately muddy gravel backroad lol.   I am pretty sure GM could install hand cranks on their trucks and guys on this site would go on about how much more reliable it was then a starter motor lol.  Seems about time GM goes back to rear drum brakes too.. maybe the mid model refresh of these 2019s will do just that.  

I can't remember the last 10 bolt I bought either. Probably because I never wasted money on a truck with that garbage axle. Yet that's the axle that helped build the reputation that any G80 since then has earned whether or not it was warranted. Kinda like the guys that thing that  modern GM V8's still use a 2 bolt main. Too stupid to actually learn anything about the state of a manufacturers design. They just assume what was fact 30 years ago is still fact today.

Gravel roads? Somehow TFL managed to get up this hill without busting a G80:

That alone is more than 99% of trucks will ever see. It's as if there's a small subset of guys that think that every half-ton should be built to rock crawl through the complete Rubicon trail or it's a piece of shit. In reality anyone expecting to be able to use a modern full-size truck made by ANY manufacturer, to do some hardcore rock crawling, is a moron. They're terrible for that purpose. Even a Power Wagon is terrible for rock crawling due to its weight.

If the 12-bolt G80 is a fragile poorly built piece of shit as you claim it is, go ahead and provide a bunch of links to demonstrate evidence of the floods of people that have had their Silverado/Sierra 1500 9.5" or 9.75"  12-bolt G80 blow up. I'll be waiting.

Edited by HondaHawkGT
  • Like 1

Generally in the 40 years working pipeline, utilities ROWs my trucks carried 1KLBs in the back. I had the top 3 brands. I wasn’t gentle on trucks, wasn’t stupid either. My trucks were modified, a couple had S/Cs. I didn’t break anything in the 125K-150K I drove them. Some even got passed around and stayed around longer. Generally through the years the manufacturers would have build issues that had nothing to do with the end user. I never went oversized on tires or changed the suspension. My mods were performance related. I worked around people who would keep their trucks much longer than me, upwards to 300K miles. Like me there were lots of HWY miles getting to job sites. Some people must really go out of their way to (test) their trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

I can't remember the last 10 bolt I bought either. Probably because I never wasted money on a truck with that garbage axle. Yet that's the axle that helped build the reputation that any G80 since then has earned whether or not it was warranted. Kinda like the guys that thing that  modern GM V8's still use a 2 bolt main. Too stupid to actually learn anything about the state of a manufacturers design. They just assume what was fact 30 years ago is still fact today.

Gravel roads? Somehow TFL managed to get up this hill without busting a G80:

That alone is more than 99% of trucks will ever see. It's as if there's a small subset of guys that think that every half-ton should be built to rock crawl through the complete Rubicon trail or it's a piece of shit. In reality anyone expecting to be able to use a modern full-size truck made by ANY manufacturer, to do some hardcore rock crawling, is a moron. They're terrible for that purpose. Even a Power Wagon is terrible for rock crawling due to its weight.

If the 12-bolt G80 is a fragile poorly built piece of shit as you claim it is, go ahead and provide a bunch of links to demonstrate evidence of the floods of people that have had their Silverado/Sierra 1500 9.5" or 9.75"  12-bolt G80 blow up. I'll be waiting.

Don't worry... my one employees 2014 doesn't work anymore... well it clunks and bangs a lot and sometimes locks up lol.  That mighty 9.5" 12 bolt G80 is dying behind a 5.3 that doesn't get driven that extraordinarily hard.. it just engages a lot and they don't work well with that.  Our work environment isn't kind but I will never get anyone to understand that except maybe Karnut lol.  Mine never get a chance to die because they are long gone in the metal bin before that time.  

Has nothing to do with rock crawling or hard core off road... like my trucks are mostly stock suspension and tire wise... its just a stupid design that is half assed and waiting to fail.  

Why guys get so mad over this inferior junk is funny.  So please just keep waiting lol.  

Edited by SierraHD17

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:26 PM, Robwcormack said:

I was always a GM guy on trucks till I decided to give it a try on that '15 F150 eco I had.  I got it over a GM at the time because I have a kid and the back seat of an F150 up until this year was vastly bigger than any GM truck.  Don't get me wrong, I love my new 6.2 LTZ, but to be completely honest having owned and driven both if I could have found a Lariat with 502A pkg for the same price or less I'd probably still be driving a Ford.  I will say that while the Z71 does have the 2 speed transfer and the skid plates that are very nice, the ride quality suffers to me with those crap rancho shocks.  My co-worker's '16 LTZ ride WAY softer and smoother.  I know some people like a stiffer "more responsive" suspension, but I personally prefer the plush ride that I don't feel every bump in the road.

Try some Bilstein  5100s to level the front and same to smooth out the rear. They are firm but not harsh like ranchos. Then some LTX Michelins . Should really help the handling and ride. All this has nothing to do with the OPs post. I just  figured this thread is so gone now,  I might try to help you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stex said:

Try some Bilstein  5100s to level the front and same to smooth out the rear. They are firm but not harsh like ranchos. Then some LTX Michelins . Should really help the handling and ride. All this has nothing to do with the OPs post. I just  figured this thread is so gone now,  I might try to help you.

Thanks for the info.  When you say use 5100s to level the front, you mean you're leveling it with just shocks, no spacers or anything else?  

15 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Don't worry... my one employees 2014 doesn't work anymore... well it clunks and bangs a lot and sometimes locks up lol.  That mighty 9.5" 12 bolt G80 is dying behind a 5.3 that doesn't get driven that extraordinarily hard.. it just engages a lot and they don't work well with that.  Our work environment isn't kind but I will never get anyone to understand that except maybe Karnut lol.  Mine never get a chance to die because they are long gone in the metal bin before that time.  

Has nothing to do with rock crawling or hard core off road... like my trucks are mostly stock suspension and tire wise... its just a stupid design that is half assed and waiting to fail.  

Why guys get so mad over this inferior junk is funny.  So please just keep waiting lol.  

A truly half assed response by someone too eager to talk out of their ass. Where are all the 12-bolt gov bombs blowing up? I don't want to hear your own claims. If they're such junk, it should be trivial to find evidence that challenges even the "Chevy shake" thread in the K2xx section. A thread filled with tons of guys blowing their G80's up.  Surely you should be able to do a basic google search quickly dozens of links to forum threads filled with blown G80's.

The G80 isn't great. Neither is the shitty E-locker. Yet those are the best you'll get in a factory truck today.

So personal experience is invalid?  Well it figures... its the internet and all.

I will give you props as you finally admitted they are pretty crappy... and so easy to change thus mitigating the problem.  

As for the rest of your reply... have a good one.

Edited by SierraHD17

F-150’s have no issue with the brakes failing like the GM vacuum pump failure issue.

Go on Ebay and search “2014 Silverado rear axle” and look at all those 2014-2016 crashed trucks. Get a locker rear axle complete for a lowly $1k with less than 60,000 miles. 

Pretty good deal. If you wanna risk your life with that belt driven vacuum pump that might fail and you will have no brakes. 

2 hours ago, Paintor said:

F-150’s have no issue with the brakes failing like the GM vacuum pump failure issue.

Go on Ebay and search “2014 Silverado rear axle” and look at all those 2014-2016 crashed trucks. Get a locker rear axle complete for a lowly $1k with less than 60,000 miles. 

Pretty good deal. If you wanna risk your life with that belt driven vacuum pump that might fail and you will have no brakes. 

Lay off the crack.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-f-150-master-cylinder-problems-lawsuit.shtml

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-f-150-brake-pedal-goes-to-floor.shtml

All 2013-2018 Ford F-150s use master cylinders supplied by Hitachi, with the pistons fitted with just a single cup seal responsible for containing pressurized brake fluid. The lawsuit alleges this is unusual because pistons within master cylinders are usually fitted with two cup seals to ensure that fluid does not leak out of the master cylinders.

The Hitachi master cylinders allegedly place twice the sealing loads on its single piston cup seals. But the plaintiffs also claim the design relocates the usual placement of the cup seal from the piston to the master cylinder’s bore where the single cup seal rests in a groove machined into the bore of the master cylinder.

Even when a vacuum pump fails on a GM truck, the brakes still work, they just aren't power assisted brakes. When F-150 brakes fail, it's usually a total loss of hydraulic pressure, hence why the brake goes to the floor and the brakes do nothing. That's a significant difference.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

16 hours ago, Robwcormack said:

Thanks for the info.  When you say use 5100s to level the front, you mean you're leveling it with just shocks, no spacers or anything else?  

Yes just the front and just by the shock. You retain full shock/coil over  function and does not over stress the ball joints. The rears are just 5100s with no ride height adjustment.

I assume they are available for the 2019s. I got mine at four wheel parts. Recommend a shop to install the fronts as you have to remove the strut and use a spring compressor to replace the shock in the strut with the 5100s. I set mine on the lowest lift grove and it leveled my '09.

16 hours ago, Robwcormack said:

here is link

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/bilstein-2-5100-series-struts-2-5100-series-shocks-for-most-lifted-trucks-shockingbil5100w-frtstrut/_/R-BBGL-SHOCKINGBIL5100W-FRTSTRUT

On 5/20/2019 at 4:31 AM, HondaHawkGT said:

Lay off the crack.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-f-150-master-cylinder-problems-lawsuit.shtml

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-f-150-brake-pedal-goes-to-floor.shtml

Even when a vacuum pump fails on a GM truck, the brakes still work, they just aren't power assisted brakes. When F-150 brakes fail, it's usually a total loss of hydraulic pressure, hence why the brake goes to the floor and the brakes do nothing. That's a significant difference.

I know. I was being sarcastic. Smart people don’t run America anymore. Downsizing cut out the old farts with seniority that kept Navy Officers from crashing ships...Air Force Officers from screwing up....and GM and Ford Engineers from killing people. Helluva Cocaine spree for those few people running the shitshow tho.