Which tonneau. BAKFlip MX4 or Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite?

On 3/31/2019 at 6:38 AM, Daverado said:

I went the same way for my MX4.    On the outside I pushed the tubes over into the air deflector channel to help keep them pointed them downward.

I did this routing during the install today.

Ok, for this MX4, it seems like the prop rods are too long when trying to secure it folded up against the cab. I have to completely take off the knobs to slide the rail up enough to get the prop rod under. And once in there it doesn't seem secure. Definitely not like as easy as they show in the demo videos. Anyone else have same or different experience?

Edited by UGADawgs

Just installed a Bakflip MX4 on my CCSB Sierra. It fits perfectly and everything was super smooth with the install, with one exception. The rubber bumpers that are designed to keep the cover resting on the glass when it's folded against the cab aren't big enough with the way the glass is recessed into the body work, with painted areas sticking out on the left and right sides. I called BAK and they weren't aware of the issue, but they said the bumpers from the Revolver are bigger and might help, and they're sending me a set free of charge.

I'm pretty convinced that the install will be mostly water tight, except for the seam in the multipro tailgate, but there's not much that can be done about that. It does seem like most of that water should run down and out of the crack between the tailgate and the bed floor anyway.

So far, I'd recommend it.

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

3 hours ago, relevante said:

Just installed a Bakflip MX4 on my CCSB Sierra. It fits perfectly and everything was super smooth with the install, with one exception. The rubber bumpers that are designed to keep the cover resting on the glass when it's folded against the cab aren't big enough with the way the glass is recessed into the body work, with painted areas sticking out on the left and right sides. I called BAK and they weren't aware of the issue, but they said the bumpers from the Revolver are bigger and might help, and they're sending me a set free of charge.

I'm pretty convinced that the install will be mostly water tight, except for the seam in the multipro tailgate, but there's not much that can be done about that. It does seem like most of that water should run down and out of the crack between the tailgate and the bed floor anyway.

So far, I'd recommend it.

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

On my Silverado, I put the bumpers further out since the cover touches the window frame before the window. The only issue I have are that the prop rods are too long. I have to remove the knob to use it. Doesn't seem right, I probably need to call bakflip.

IMG_20190416_172752.jpg

Edited by UGADawgs

2 minutes ago, UGADawgs said:

On my Silverado, I put the bumpers further out since the cover touches the window frame before the window. The only issue I have are that the prop rods are too long. I have to remove the knob to use it. Doesn't seem right, I probably need to call bakflip.

IMG_20190416_172752.jpg

Cool, yeah i thought about doing that but I just finished a five day project doing paint correction and ceramic coating so I didn’t want to risk creating more stuff to buff out later. I’ll post when I get the bigger bumpers and let you know how they work out.

Now that you mention it my prop rods seemed pretty long too, but I didn’t get to fully test them. I’m pretty sure they did engage though, but just barely.

I just got the MX4 and so far my experience matches everyone else's. Seems to fit tight enough. Looks factory. Took 20 minutes to install by myself. No word on how waterproof it really is yet but that will be tested soon enough. I assumed the rods at the front require the loosening of the knobs every time but maybe I'm wrong? Based on my experience so far I'd buy this again.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:42 AM, OnTheReel said:

I was very happy with the MX4 on my last truck. It was basically water tight and well made. I went to the Revolver on this truck and it’s also very good quality.

I also went with a Revolver X4 and have been happy with it.   

17 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

IMG_20190416_172752.jpg

Spoke to BAK today. They said they will send instructions for me to measure the bracket. All their prop rods are the same size, so most likely the side rails were rivoted wrong. If I take measurements and the rod bracket is out of spec, then they'll have to send me new rails. Wow. Seems like they didn't test fit these.

I'm saving some greebacks for a Truxedo Sentry CT for my 2019 RST. I like that it locks to the rails in the middle of the cover (new feature), and that it's black and not polished aluminum like the Revolver. 

Anyone have opinions for or against the Sentry CT vs. the Revolver X4? 

That's why I went with the Undercover Ultra Flex.  Same idea as the Bakflip but it stays upright and does not rest on the window.  It's also very solid at high speeds and I've had no issues so far.  Best cover I've ever owned.

20181105_164911.jpg

20181105_164915.jpg

I'm saving some greebacks for a Truxedo Sentry CT for my 2019 RST. I like that it locks to the rails in the middle of the cover (new feature), and that it's black and not polished aluminum like the Revolver. 

Anyone have opinions for or against the Sentry CT vs. the Revolver X4? 

That’s what I have for my AT4. Only gripe is I have to unlatch the rear lock on the sentry in order to shut the tailgate (rubber seal gets in the way) otherwise awesome looking cover and extremely low profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro