Which tonneau. BAKFlip MX4 or Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite?

The BAKFlip allows more complete access to the bed by folding up against the back window. The Fold-A-Cover however allows access from the front of the bed. They are both about $900-1000. I’m having a tough time deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had Elite for over 4 years. Very dependable, well-made and not a drop got through over that time, but looks kind of meh. 

Now I have MX4. Looks way better, but it's not waterproof and can't be due to construction - some water gets inside. Not much, but enough to notice. Also it doesn't look like anybody took pride in making them - metal shavings, rough edges everywhere and overall workmanship is not impressive for the price.

I went with MX4 this time because after Elite I know that unrestrained access to the full bed length is more important for me. If fold-a-cover would make a cover of the same style as MX4 I'd go with them though.

I have the Backflip MX4. Looks and works great. It’s easy to install and remove if needed. The only thing I didn’t like is water gets into the bed. Not from the cover itself but from the cheap seal they give you for the front of the bed. I replaced it with a rubber seal from Lowe’s and no more leaks. 

I have an MX4 as well.

PROS:

Sits flush and looks good

Keeps 99.9% of the water out. (I get a little water around the tailgate, but not at the top.)

Can use virtually the entire bed if you fold it up against the window.

Installation is easy.   It took me less than 30 minutes to install it.

CONS:

Rails were bent out of the box.  BakFlip replaced them - but (this leads to concern number 2)

BakFlip's customer service leaves something to be desired.  I had an issue where one of the panels was delaminating.  Reached out to BakFlip customer service who asked for pics.  I sent pics and they responded that it was defective and would be replaced under warranty, but not until "I demonstrated in video that I was removing the cover from the truck and then destroying the cover."  Since I didn't want to be without a cover for a week I went back to 4 wheel parts and after some arm twisting, got them to get it swapped.

5 minutes ago, z1boss said:

I have the Undercover Ultra Flex too and love it

I had originally been shopping for hard tonneau's - but there's not much available for 2019's.   I'll probably like this much better anyway, being able to remove if needed, etc.

Does yours leak?

7 minutes ago, bcato said:

I had originally been shopping for hard tonneau's - but there's not much available for 2019's.   I'll probably like this much better anyway, being able to remove if needed, etc.

Does yours leak?

There was a little leak but I cut some pieces from the foam strip that they provided in the package to seal those areas and now it barely leaks at all

i was looking around when I had a 2018 Denali, the tonneau dealer pointed out all the holes around in the bed - I had never noticed.   This 2019 doesn't seem to have all of the openings, or maybe they all have the plastic plugs in them.   They actually sold a big bag of foam made to stuff in the openings....

i have the bakflip. had a soft roll upon my 2015silverado so i decided to try something different. so far i love it. i felt that acessing the bed was tedious with soft cover haveing to roll it and unroll it from each side. i went thru winter with the bakflip with no issue. if u get a firamount of ice it takesa little work to clear it off and open it. it also complements the look of the truck very well. ill seehow it performs over time as i use the bed more. as far as water...ive no issues. if your getting significant water, i suggest checking ur install and make sure everything is lined up. 

I've got the Bakflip G2 on my 19 Denali. Well built, relatively water tight, easy install. I'd definitely recommend it. Had one of those high dollar Retrax on my Lariat and like the Bakflip better. Plus the G2 was less than half the cost as the Retrax.