When do trucks get updated interior?

Everyone is giving the Ram interior raving reviews. Sure it looks nice new but again it is a Ram and long term it will turn into a rattle trap. The T1 interior is nicely laid out and functional!

• Like 3

My neighbor has got a new Ram. I checked it out and to me it looks like a somewhat garish, fingerprint loaded pinball machine. I'm sure some of its features are great.It is very impressive. He likes it so far, but hasn't really got to know it yet. My wife's got an 18 Cad CTS Prem Lux with a beautiful, but sticky mess of a dash. All touch controls. I'd rather have knobs for most controls.

I had a 14 SLT. My new 19 Denali is very similar in design to the K2 as everyone knows. Hate the brushed Denali knobs. They look cheap.  Hate the plain jane graphics on the nav screen. Love the HUD and camera mirror. Love the simple layout. Over all, I'm happy with it.

I can't see GM doing anything major until the next full blown redesign.

• Like 2

I think the interior is fine. It's very usable and durable. The GM is also mostly soft touch even though it's very understated. I had a 2014 Longhorn and I agree that visually the interior was head and shoulders better than any truck on the market (let alone the even better 19's) but in the end it did nothing for reliability or for for my overall enjoyment being in it day after day. A comfortable seat is a comfortable seat and the wing dings become pedestrian. Using mine for work (80,000-100,000km's/year at the time) showed how quickly the Ram's lost it's luster (I had a 2012 prior). My two GM's since then, as 'dull' as they are, held up much better and my current truck looks like new today. I know everybody's definition of quality will differ but for me it has less to do with how visually stimulating it is and more on how well it actually works and wears.

Having said that, I can't say how well a 19'GM or a 19' Ram will wear but I wouldn't be surprised to see my 16' 6.0 in somebody's driveway 20+ years from now with the original drive line and interior.

I’ve sat in a nicely equipped T1, to be honest, I like the k2 interior better, but I also like T1
I still like the GM interior best of all
I can bet you won’t see a T 1 interior change for at least a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m too attentive when I drive and usually brain fatigue before physically tired. These newer vehicles have way too much going on. Lane departure, active braking, vibrating seats etc. The whole media center they want in the dash, why? My phone does everything I want. My music, navigation, radio everything comes through it. People are paying for redundancy there. I save a ton of money buying a lower option vehicle this time and didn’t miss a thing. Well maybe one. The butt massages I use to get swerving between the yellow lines with lane departure.

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2019 at 8:37 AM, KARNUT said:

The whole media center they want in the dash, why? My phone does everything I want. My music, navigation, radio everything comes through it. People are paying for redundancy there.

Phones are terrible for use in cars, that's why. :smash:  They are not glove friendly (digital touch is still terrible), they are tiny (and highly distracting as a result of being hard to read), and they lack car-oriented features for most apps.

My Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX never sees CarPlay in use because the Pioneer Nav is a better UI than anything CarPlay could do.  For music it's SD card far exceeds my phone's storage, and I don't use LTE data for music.  It's audio quality is far superior to anything Bluetooth.

Android Auto and CarPlay are getting there.  Slowly.  They aren't there yet though.  In the meantime, I need a driver-focused device.  Maybe next generation CarPlay and apps will finally make the car stack less necessary.  With so many vehicles integrating Android Auto and CarPlay  it's certain to get there. The car stack has it's own usability issues to deal with for sure, but driver focus is far better in every example I've seen.

Phones are terrible for use in cars, that's why. :smash:  They are not glove friendly (digital touch is still terrible), they are tiny (and highly distracting as a result of being hard to read), and they lack car-oriented features for most apps.

My Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX never sees CarPlay in use because the Pioneer Nav is a better UI than anything CarPlay could do.  For music it's SD card far exceeds my phone's storage, and I don't use LTE data for music.  It's audio quality is far superior to anything Bluetooth.

Android Auto and CarPlay are getting there.  Slowly.  They aren't there yet though.  In the meantime, I need a driver-focused device.  Maybe next generation CarPlay and apps will finally make the car stack less necessary.  With so many vehicles integrating Android Auto and CarPlay  it's certain to get there. The car stack has it's own usability issues to deal with for sure, but driver focus is far better in every example I've seen.

I have a phone mount that allows my phone be at a quick sideways glance. When on a trip a can see and hear my navigation screen on the phone fine. My I heart- pandora music functions are on my steering wheel all going through Bluetooth or USB. My 63 year old eyes have no problem seeing my I phone 5. There’s no reason to do anything more while driving. And the best part, I can turn my phone a little if sun glare become a problem. A little issue that happens often with built in navigation- info center.

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I have a phone mount that allows my phone be at a quick sideways glance. When on a trip a can see and hear my navigation screen on the phone fine. My I heart- pandora music functions are on my steering wheel all going through Bluetooth or USB. My 63 year old eyes have no problem seeing my I phone 5. There’s no reason to do anything more while driving. And the best part, I can turn my phone a little if sun glare become a problem. A little issue that happens often with built in navigation- info center.

Congrats on being special I guess?

7 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Different strokes, no need to be cynical.

Not cynical at all.  I just understand that I didn't buy a car tailored to my own specific needs.  I bought a truck designed to sell in the millions, and therefore has to function in a manner well beyond my own limitations and abilities.

I'm special too.  That also doesn't matter.

• Like 1