Adding In Dash six Disc Cd Player

I added the 6-disc changer to my 96 Yukon (also without Bose), and it works flawlessly. I have the stock cassette head unit and had the stock single remote CD player. I simply unplugged the single and plugged in the 6-disc (of course there was significant inner-dash mods to be made to alow the 6-disc to fit as it is a full inch wider than the single).

Here's an 'after' pic:

6-Disc In Dash CD Changer

As you can see in the picture, the head unit recognizes the multi-changer by displaying Disc 3 Track 6.

Someone else here has added this changer to a new body style truck into the top bay of the floor mounted center console...I just can't find the link.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Big Blue -

I started with the factory single disc plus cassette on my 03, bought a six disc 03 model off of eBay and put it in. It plays, but I have not taken it to the dealer yet to have the ECM (or is it BCM?) reprogrammed/fixed to recognize the player.

So, basically, right now I have the six disc, with all functionality, except when I first turn the truck on it says "Cal Error". There are some odd programming steps the dealer will have to take, apparently if the serial number of the new radio unit does not match what is programmed into your truck's computer, GM has to be contacted in order to obtain some sort of code to keep the radio from saying "Cal Error". I was told this was to track the radio parts themselves, but who knows if it is true.

In sum, you can add the 6 disc without any real troubles. The steering wheel controls still work, and it fits right in the space your current CD unit is mounted in.

good luck.

Big Blue -

I started with the factory single disc plus cassette on my 03, bought a six disc 03 model off of eBay and put it in. It plays, but I have not taken it to the dealer yet to have the ECM (or is it BCM?) reprogrammed/fixed to recognize the player.

So, basically, right now I have the six disc, with all functionality, except when I first turn the truck on it says "Cal Error". There are some odd programming steps the dealer will have to take, apparently if the serial number of the new radio unit does not match what is programmed into your truck's computer, GM has to be contacted in order to obtain some sort of code to keep the radio from saying "Cal Error". I was told this was to track the radio parts themselves, but who knows if it is true.

In sum, you can add the 6 disc without any real troubles. The steering wheel controls still work, and it fits right in the space your current CD unit is mounted in.

good luck.

I have been wanting to do this too, but was told that it wouldn't work because I don't have the Bose amplifier and speakers. But what you say is promising. Please keep us posted when you get the code removed at the dealer.

I replaced my original cd, cassette radio with a 6 disc cd radio. I have the bose system in my truck. When I installed the 6 disc cd radio it went into lock mode. Door chime and Onstar stopped working. My dealer reprogramed the PCM with a "tech 2" tool. It cost me $40.00. Door chime, Onstar, steering wheel controls all work as before. Now on to XM. :confused:

well, I do NOT have the bose system, but the 6 disc still works? What I did is I bought a 6 disc, took out my single disc/cassette, and popped the 6 disc in. It did not lock at that point, but it did show "Cal Error." I took it to the dealer, they told me they needed it for about an hour, and I told them I would bring it back. I haven't done that yet, but everything still works fine, including the steering controls.

I have heard that doing what I did will cause the radio to go into lock mode, but for some reason mine did not. I think the 6 disc does have an internal amp, but I believe if you use the bose system there is a separate plug interface which does NOT use the 6 disc's internal amp (thereby allowing the bose system to do what it is supposed to do).

Hope that helps -- if anybody's interested in buying my single disc w/ cassettee, shoot me an email with an offer. I'm going to put it on eBay in a week unless I can get a good offer from here.

Thanks.

Jon

[email protected]

jth7186,

Were did you purchase your 6 disc cd changer, and how much did it cost? I have the same setup as you did with the CD\Cassette, and would like to go with the 6 disc changer. I have XM with mine will that work with the 6 disc changer? Thanks for the information. :confused:

1999GMCZ-71,

If it's me you're asking, you should have no problems putting one in your 1999. If it's the older body style like my 96 Yukon, it will look just like my picture above. If it's the new body style, I have seen the same unit installed in the upper bay of the floor-mounted console with good results.

Email me if you have any questions.

Big Blue -

good luck.

Was that my six disk I sold on eBay? Are you in So-Cal I got the CAL ERROR (kinda like the state we live in today...) when I tried to put it in my 03 reg. cab but I cannot remember if it fucntioned ok besides the cal error, I think the tech just tried to reprogram it right away and then it locked after that. Later after they said they talked to GM it wont work because the reg. cabs never had the 6 disc as an option they wont work, all this because the radio talks to the bcm and knows its not the right vin or vic code some such nonsense.....i want that friggen six disc!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Big Blue -

good luck.

Hey has anyone else done this yet? I just got my hands on another 6 disc and threw it in and it INSTANTLY LOCKED!!! :lol: I went by the dealer and he said could come back tommorow when he had a tech there who knew what was up. I would be happy if I could get it unlocked and fucntional, even if its says "cal error"

So basically, does anyone know if the dealer can simply unlock the radio via the Tech 2 and I will be good to go?

Archived