bFGoodrich all terrain Tire wear

On 3/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, MaverickZ71 said:

Those are no longer manufactured.  BfG could not keep up with the warranty claims on them, and decided to throw in the towel and quit making them, when they came out with the new K02.  

When was it stopped? I know the rugged trail is gone but the terrain was still being made as of a few weeks/months ago.

We get new shipments in every week with DOT dates from within a few months of today (2019).  Probably have over 1,500 is stock in several sizes and they just sit there  They will be too old long before they every reach the road, wasted rubber.

The BFG website still lists as a tire you are able to purchase. It's a garbage tire in my eyes but hit up your local wally world if you want a set lol.

I have a set of K2O's on my 16 and have 100K KM on them with still lots of tread. I would buy them again, I rotate them every 10K KM and they have been great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

When was it stopped? I know the rugged trail is gone but the terrain was still being made as of a few weeks/months ago.

We get new shipments in every week with DOT dates from within a few months of today (2019).  Probably have over 1,500 is stock in several sizes and they just sit there  They will be too old long before they every reach the road, wasted rubber.

The BFG website still lists as a tire you are able to purchase. It's a garbage tire in my eyes but hit up your local wally world if you want a set lol.

The BfG website lists only one size being available anymore for both the Rugged Terrain and Rugged Trail. All other sizes of those tires have been discontinued. As you indicated, WalMart does currently offer the Rugged Terrain for sale, over a year after Tire Rack stopped selling them. Not being a BfG fan, from having many cases of belt separations and blisters on their tires in the past, I have not examined the ones at my local ‘Wally World’ to see what size they are and if they are new manufacture or old stock.

I have noticed in the past that some of WalMart’s tire ‘specials’ have been from manufacturers clearing out their warehouses of problem or discontinued tires, such as with the Firestone Wilderness and the replacement original Goodyear Wrangler tires during the Ford Explorer lawsuits back in the ‘90s.  They had those tires stacked in the center aisles of the stores (not just in the automotive dept) priced at $45 and later $30 a tire here. 

Edited by MaverickZ71

There is only like 4 sizes left out there if I recall because that is all that gets shipped out and in. I stopped caring after there was like 500 of each size in stock and they just sit in the racks.

In the first few thousand miles I ran the KO2s too low on air and they wore pretty quickly.  BFG said to run them at 50 psi and I eventually did and wear dropped to almost nothing.  Now they have 27K on them and 9/32 of tread left.  They have been rock solid in the worst of rain storms even flying through two inches of standing water during a monsoon at 80 mph.  Mine are Load Range C and 2 of the 3 have been patched and another has a nail sticking out of the tread currently!    

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, swathdiver said:

In the first few thousand miles I ran the KO2s too low on air and they wore pretty quickly.  BFG said to run them at 50 psi and I eventually did and wear dropped to almost nothing.  Now they have 27K on them and 9/32 of tread left.  They have been rock solid in the worst of rain storms even flying through two inches of standing water during a monsoon at 80 mph.  Mine are Load Range C and 2 of the 3 have been patched and another has a nail sticking out of the tread currently!    

I also run mine at 50psi but mine are load range D, I find mine are a little slippery in the rain but they are awesome in the snow! Something you don't have to worry about but they are really good in it. Plus they are snow rated tires so we get a discount on our insurance for having snow tires on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diver6 said:

I also run mine at 50psi but mine are load range D, I find mine are a little slippery in the rain but they are awesome in the snow! Something you don't have to worry about but they are really good in it. Plus they are snow rated tires so we get a discount on our insurance for having snow tires on.

why do the tires not good in the rain?  Is it the load rating or the PSI?  I'm new to trucks and am looking into getting these tires.  I live where there is no snow.  Just want them for the looks lol.  Which load rating should I get? 

11 hours ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

why do the tires not good in the rain?  Is it the load rating or the PSI?  I'm new to trucks and am looking into getting these tires.  I live where there is no snow.  Just want them for the looks lol.  Which load rating should I get? 

Well, what size wheels do you have?  The 20" wheel and the 275-55-20 only come in Load Range D for example.  The 265-70-17s that I run, come in C and E.  I bought the Cs for their lighter weight and less rolling resistance but have been surprised that three tires have been punctured by large screws. 

The last time I ran LT flotation tires on my F-150, soon as I put those 30x9.5s on all road hazards stopped!  Prior to that I had to replace 7 tires in one year due to them and the nature of my work.

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Well, what size wheels do you have?  The 20" wheel and the 275-55-20 only come in Load Range D for example.  The 265-70-17s that I run, come in C and E.  I bought the Cs for their lighter weight and less rolling resistance but have been surprised that three tires have been punctured by large screws. 

The last time I ran LT flotation tires on my F-150, soon as I put those 30x9.5s on all road hazards stopped!  Prior to that I had to replace 7 tires in one year due to them and the nature of my work.

Well right now I have the stock 265/65R18 wheels but I am looking at new wheels and tires.  275/60R20 is the setup I like the most so far.  Looks like they come in Load range D at least as far as the setup I'm looking at on customwheeloffset.com.  

My main concern is the wet performance.  Is this a trait of all AT tires or what particularly makes them slippery in the rain?  

2 hours ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

Well right now I have the stock 265/65R18 wheels but I am looking at new wheels and tires.  275/60R20 is the setup I like the most so far.  Looks like they come in Load range D at least as far as the setup I'm looking at on customwheeloffset.com.  

My main concern is the wet performance.  Is this a trait of all AT tires or what particularly makes them slippery in the rain?  

I have a feeling that Diver6 might be running his with a little too much air.  Mine have been fantastic in the rain down here in Florida.  We've driven right into torrential storms at full speed on the highway and the truck never budged.  When they were new, the wheel would not even pull to the side of the puddle you were driving through, just went through them like a hot knife through butter.  Now that they are worn to almost half, the wheel moves a little crashing through those puddles and holds steady at 70 mph or so through heavy rain still.  I don't normally run at 80 but my wife likes to!

A little story about air pressure.  When first put on I dropped them down to the door sticker, 30 psi.  Like riding on marshmallows!  Then figured out that at 42 psi they met the minimum gross rear axle weight if I were towing so I put them there.  They wore very quickly.  Brought them up to 46 psi and still wore too fast for my liking.  Called BFG and they said to run them at 50 psi.  I demurred and kept wearing them down until I finally ran them at 50 psi.  Then the quick wear was arrested.  Also saw a door sticker for a 2500 Suburban with LT tires, said to run them at 50 psi up front and 60 psi in the rear for LR E tires.  So then I figured I was good.  Those 2500s weigh about 600 pounds more than mine though.

Went through a long spell where I didn't rotate the tires like the usual 3k to 5k and went 8k miles.  Center of treads on all was 1/32nd less then the outside of each.  Going to drop them to 48 in a few hours after it cools off and keep them there until the next rotation and check the tread depth again.  28K miles now, the center of the tires have 9/32 of tread left.

Edited by swathdiver
grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

A little story about air pressure.  When first put on I dropped them down to the door sticker, 30 psi.  Like riding on marshmallows!  Then figured out that at 42 psi they met the minimum gross rear axle weight if I were towing so I put them there.  They wore very quickly.  Brought them up to 46 psi and still wore too fast for my liking.  Called BFG and they said to run them at 50 psi. 

Hey!  I was just on BFGs website checking out the new KM3s and saw that BFG is now saying to run LT tires on my truck at 42 psi!  Hmm...

@TXGREEK

18 hours ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

I read through the post and Swathdiver is correct on the tire pressure I run a higher load range and higher pressure because I tow a fifth wheel trailed with it and have a heavy load in the truck. If your just normal day to day driving then pic the appropriate load tires and run lower pressure, I'm sure you will love them. I'm just to lazy to keep changing the pressure so I suffer in the rain! LOL.

• Like 2