All:

A couple weeks ago I had a code thrown that indicated an oil pressure sensor fault.  My mechanic in analyzing the code noticed that my oil was burnt and filthy having been changed only a few hundred kilometres previous.  He thought that maybe the oil change place put the wrong viscosity oil in and with the recent cold weather caused the fault and poor oil movement thus the burn and the sensor fault.  We reset the code, change the oil to Mobil 1 0W-20 and off I went.

Less than a week later and the check engine light is back on with I assume the same oil pressure sensor code attached to it.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 128,000 km

m

Edited by mdk

13 hours ago, mdk said:

All:

A couple weeks ago I had a code thrown that indicated an oil pressure sensor fault.  My mechanic in analyzing the code noticed that my oil was burnt and filthy having been changed only a few hundred kilometres previous.  He thought that maybe the oil change place put the wrong viscosity oil in and with the recent cold weather caused the fault and poor oil movement thus the burn and the sensor fault.  We reset the code, change the oil to Mobil 1 0W-20 and off I went.

Less than a week later and the check engine light is back on with I assume the same oil pressure sensor code attached to it.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 128,000 km

m

Your screen is most likely partially clogged.  I would change that out 1st.  If it looks very good change the sensor too!

Silveradosid

It is making that whine.  Is there a definitive test for that pump failure?

I believe that is a fairly involved (expensive) repair.  It would be nice to be positive on that one.

Thanks for the good call.

• 1 year later...

Hi Silveradosid, 

I'm not aware of any specific test to confirm it without taking it apart and doing a visual inspection, but just others have said, if you hear a whine like a failing power steering pump it most likely is your engine oil pump and it is better to replace that sooner than later. 

Edited by Kulterkampf