6 inch lift and 35s...

I am trying to decide between a trailboss/AT4 and a lifted LTZ 6.2. I test drove a 2018 with a 6 inch lift and 35s tonight to understand what the LTZ option would be like. To be honest the 6 inch lift with 35s was pretty shocking. The truck had zero power with the 5.3 .In addition the truck was basically like driving a canoe down a river. I would suggest where it would go with the steering wheel and sooner or later it would make up its mind to go there....I could see if someone pulled out in front of you in one of these trucks very bad things would happen. 

For those that have a 2019 with a big lift/tires is the steering any tighter and or is the acceleration better? I know the 6.2 will have more power but Im still not sure its going to have a sufficient level of pickup with the gearing options. If the 2019 experience is anything like the 2018, I think it closes the big lift and tire option for me.

The lift was a zone

The tires were dick cepeks 

Wheels were XD

Edited by Chris walker

I am trying to decide between a trailboss/AT4 and a lifted LTZ 6.2. I test drove a 2018 with a 6 inch lift and 35s tonight to understand what the LTZ option would be like. To be honest the 6 inch lift with 35s was pretty shocking. The truck had zero power with the 5.3 .In addition the truck was basically like driving a canoe down a river. I would suggest where it would go with the steering wheel and sooner or later it would make up its mind to go there....I could see if someone pulled out in front of you in one of these trucks very bad things would happen. 

For those that have a 2019 with a big lift/tires is the steering any tighter and or is the acceleration better? I know the 6.2 will have more power but Im still not sure its going to have a sufficient level of pickup with the gearing options. If the 2019 experience is anything like the 2018, I think it closes the big lift and tire option for me.

The lift was a zone
The tires were dick cepeks 
Wheels were XD

I’ve got an 18 6.2 with a 4.5” CST Lift running 34” Nitto Ridge Grapplers and it hauls ass!

6.2 is a power house and even with a canned tune adding 25+ HP and Torque adds to its already highly sought after abilities.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

This is going to sound a little counter-intuitive but off road tires are probably 90% of the problem with the steering feel.  They actually "tighten" up if you will after a few thousand miles.  It's strange but you can put a new set on a truck and it will "waggle" so bad that you think it's unsafe, but after some break in they get better.  If you have reservations go with the AT4 though they drive great (well at least the Trail Boss does for what I know).  

• Like 1

6.2L is a no brainer, I have driven both from both generations, owned both a 6.2 (2015) and 5.3 (2017) from the last generation, own a SLT DFM 6.2 2019 and driven the new DFM 5.3 2019 as a loaner.  

Get the 6.2L.  My advice would be just get the 6.2L AT4 and be done with it.  It will drive without any compromise while still allow you to put 35s under it.  Best of both worlds without sacrificing anything.  

• Like 2

Good feedback..I had a hunch the steering would have to tighten up. I cant see anyone dealing with that on a daily basis.

My wife has the 6.2 in a Tahoe RST and I think Im just spoiled. Going to take the suggestion and try the AT4 6.2 today...

Thanks for the feedback and advice! Greatly appreciated

Edited by Chris walker

Good feedback..I had a hunch the steering would have to tighten up. I cant see anyone dealing with that on a daily basis.

My wife has the 6.2 in a Tahoe RST and I think Im just spoiled. Going to take the suggestion and try the AT4 6.2 today...

Thanks for the feedback and advice! Greatly appreciated

Btw, I’ve never been in a new lifted truck that drove in anyway like a canoe. It had to be over inflated or under inflated tires. Aside of shock absorbers, there’s really nothing to break in, either the tires are a right fit or wrong fit. Now, there’s always a small chance the installer forgot to do a front end alignment, that’s it. Tires, being over or under inflated or in need of alignment.

Sent from above
  • Like 1