WHY? 4-6-8

SS502

In my very early 20’s, the 4twin turbo slant nose roared, the TType turbo roared but now the turbo 4’s sound likes a wet pc of rubber losing air. Btw, back then that’s when I realized deep down that I was going to be a 4x4 truck guy, fast cars don’t weather well hopping curbs and running through bushes lol [emoji23]

Sent from above

• Haha 1

My 262 V6 has more horsepower to the rear wheels than a 1980's 454 had at the crank.

That is has more torque at the rear wheels than a 1980's 350 had at the crank.

(Information source Wiki) 

That is gets twice the mpg of either. 

That I've never used 100% of it's power even to pass. Not even in emergencies. I'm a happy camper! 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

My 262 V6 has more horsepower to the rear wheels than a 1980's 454 had at the crank.

That I've never used 100% of it's power even to pass. Not even in emergencies. I'm a happy camper! 

In the mid 80s there would be gas pedal marks on my carpet. Even in my Toyota I barely ever mash it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Depends. If someone is able to tune these things, and they are putting out 6.2-like numbers reliably, I could see a lot of people being interested. After the warranty is up, of course. 

It would help if this engine winds up in some other things like the next gen Colorado. Hard to imagine it wouldn’t. It’s probably more expensive to build than the 5.3 so why do it if there isn’t other targets in the future.

• Like 1

Weird... I drove a 2018 5.3 6 speed 3.42 truck and a 2019 5.3 8 speed 3.23 truck and they both felt about the same.  Both had about 50 miles, same day.  

The 2019 had 20s to the 2018s 18" wheel, but it didn't feel one bit faster.  

23 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I think just about everything today has more hp than a 1980s 454.  I certainly wouldn't benchmark the 80s for performance.  

I think just about everything today has more hp than a 1980s 454.  I certainly wouldn't benchmark the 80s for performance.  

The most coveted car by most. The 70 Chevelle in its rarest form had 450 HP, with 0-60 and 1/4 miles times that are pretty easy today. Was and still is a pretty big deal. Even in the 80s there’re vehicles people wouldn’t mine having in their garage. Bench mark of their times. In the next ten years electric cars will probably out perform the gas today. We will still be happy with a 2000s Vette in the garage. We’re never happy. Well I am, my regular Camry is quicker than most of my 80s-90s rides. Can’t wait for what’s next.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:41 AM, SS502 said:

....may as well go Electric :D have you seen the eCOPO? That noise, oh that beautiful noise you hear is not from the Camaro :(

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/chevys-electric-ecopo-camaro-goes-wheels-up-first-time-at-the-drag-strip

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

The most coveted car by most. The 70 Chevelle in its rarest form had 450 HP, with 0-60 and 1/4 miles times that are pretty easy today. Was and still is a pretty big deal. Even in the 80s there’re vehicles people wouldn’t mine having in their garage. Bench mark of their times. In the next ten years electric cars will probably out perform the gas today. We will still be happy with a 2000s Vette in the garage. We’re never happy. Well I am, my regular Camry is quicker than most of my 80s-90s rides. Can’t wait for what’s next.

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/chevys-electric-ecopo-camaro-goes-wheels-up-first-time-at-the-drag-strip

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yondu said:

There is a difference between a benchmark and a comparison....right?

An entire decade of trucks pulled travel trailers, car carriers and so on all over the world with that anemic excuse for a Bow Tie and if the Ecotec3 V6 would have poked it's head up in that time period with the matching 6L80E....well....history would have been different. Darn few Rat motors would have been sold, eh?  The current 262 isn't a dog compared (not benchmarked) to any generation of like sized motors ever used to power an American half ton pickup. 

I think I am probably among the first non-media to have some seat time behind a 2.7L. My only 5.3 experience in a truck is with our '99 Sierra RCLB with the 5.3 (so 270 HP/315TQ... an oldie) - and the 2.7 would stomp it hands down across the board - not an accurate comparison for the current 5.3, just a point of reference.

I've been stalking them within a 250 mile radius of DC for the better part of a month. My local dealer happened to get one of the first in the area in yesterday, and I drove it last night.

It definitely sounds like a big 4 cylinder. It is unique, a bit throaty with some audible turbo noise, and definitely not trying to pretend to be a V8 (fine by me... call me odd, but I hate the sound of a V8 or V6 - mechanical or exhaust). The flat torque curve is very apparent - it just pulls along without effort around town, and it is reasonably quick when you floor it. Based on the butt dyno, it should have no problem towing up to its limit if not a bit over if needed. I was waiting on the Duramax, but am tired of waiting and will be ordering a loaded 2.7 RST Double Cab tomorrow as an upgrade from my 2015 Colorado (tuned 2.5L/6MT).

• Thanks 1