2019 Z71 had to be towed yesterday

vucelick

Dads new 2019 Z71, 5.3l 8 speed had to be towed to the dealer yesterday during his 2nd week of ownership.  He relayed this info to me. 

He said he pulled into a parking spot, shifted into reverse to square up his parking job, put it in park and shut off the truck.  When he came back out the truck would not start.  Called the dealer and they sent someone who tried some procedure to start the truck unsuccessfully.  They towed the truck back to the dealer, and fixed it.  They told him that the spot where the factory locktite was applied to the shifter cable was not fully inserted, and that the truck was stuck in gear and would not start.

I thought these were all shift my wire? Is there some known issue or a TSB regarding this? He said it seems fine today.

Edited by vucelick

They are shift by wire (wires spun together in a cable form).

In this case, GM still uses actual shifter cables (wires) and not electronic wires.

2019 T1 trucks still have a mechanical column shifter. RAM for example... uses an electronically controlled shift knob.

Edited by Sierra Dan

3 hours ago, vucelick said:

Dads new 2019 Z71, 5.3l 8 speed had to be towed to the dealer yesterday during his 2nd week of ownership.  He relayed this info to me. 

He said he pulled into a parking spot, shifted into reverse to square up his parking job, put it in park and shut off the truck.  When he came back out the truck would not start.  Called the dealer and they sent someone who tried some procedure to start the truck unsuccessfully.  They towed the truck back to the dealer, and fixed it.  They told him that the spot where the factory locktite was applied to the shifter cable was not fully inserted, and that the truck was stuck in gear and would not start.

I thought these were all shift my wire? Is there some known issue or a TSB regarding this? He said it seems fine today.

GM still is shift-by-cable.  Cable runs from the shift lever, down the column, through the floor to the transmission case side.  Two piece cable, with an adjustment point where they meet.  It attaches to the manual shift shaft lever.  No shift by wire in the Ram sense.

No TSB's so seems like he is a first.  Hopefully the tech who looked at it sent a field product report so GM can put some eyes on it. 

Edited by newdude