2002-2007 GMC headlight replacement / upgrade

Considering a couple of replacement options for the composite headlights in a new-to-me '02 Sierra 1500 - the original lenses have been polished and are not cloudy but are turning yellow, so the light units will need to be replaced sooner or later.

Option 1 is to replace them with standard headlights, and perhaps upgrade the bulbs.

Option 2 is to replace them with Yukon Denali projectors, with either standard or upgraded bulbs.

I have no prior experience with projector headlights, and am curious if there's a significant improvement in either light output or beam pattern control with the projector units versus the standard units, and whether there's a significant quality difference between factory light units and aftermarket reproductions.   I'm NOT interested in the "tuner" units with halos, led strip DRL's etc - just the factory style lights.

Edited by oldcarguy6547

On 2/20/2019 at 2:07 PM, oldcarguy6547 said:

Considering a couple of replacement options for the composite headlights in a new-to-me '02 Sierra 1500 - the original lenses have been polished and are not cloudy but are turning yellow, so the light units will need to be replaced sooner or later.

Option 1 is to replace them with standard headlights, and perhaps upgrade the bulbs.

Option 2 is to replace them with Yukon Denali projectors, with either standard or upgraded bulbs.

I have no prior experience with projector headlights, and am curious if there's a significant improvement in either light output or beam pattern control with the projector units versus the standard units, and whether there's a significant quality difference between factory light units and aftermarket reproductions.   I'm NOT interested in the "tuner" units with halos, led strip DRL's etc - just the factory style lights.

As inexpensive as headlights are now, I just replace them. I purchased a set for my 2000 Sierra 2 years ago and they are still in great shape.

Factory style 4 piece set $70 - https://amzn.to/2Eoqk2c

If you wanted brighter headlamps for them, I would just put me a set of silver stars in it. Will be plenty bright enough without all the extra heat. Or if you wanted the cheaper route the nighthawks are nice too.

Nighthawk $26 - https://amzn.to/2GYETLB

Silverstar $44 - https://amzn.to/2Xh94Dx

Hope this helps. As far as the projectors are concerned. I wouldn't do that to myself. Just a personal preference though.

I installed a used set of denali headlamps in my 2006 sierra 10 years ago and they still look and work good today.  There was a very noticeable increase in low beam light output when I put the denali's in, even with the stock halogens.  Xenon retrofit bulbs in the projector low beams give a good pattern and do not blind oncoming traffic at all (been running same Xenon kit for 8 years, lucked out with a good one!).   I have not yet found any LED or Xenon bulbs that give a usable pattern in the high beam reflector, stick with a halogen high beam.  I had also picked them because I didn't want any of the extra LED or halo stuff either.

7 hours ago, edon said:

I installed a used set of denali headlamps in my 2006 sierra 10 years ago and they still look and work good today.  There was a very noticeable increase in low beam light output when I put the denali's in, even with the stock halogens.  Xenon retrofit bulbs in the projector low beams give a good pattern and do not blind oncoming traffic at all (been running same Xenon kit for 8 years, lucked out with a good one!).   I have not yet found any LED or Xenon bulbs that give a usable pattern in the high beam reflector, stick with a halogen high beam.  I had also picked them because I didn't want any of the extra LED or halo stuff either.

besides the denali headlight housing, did you need any other connectors or relays for wiring? 

On 2019-02-23 at 6:24 AM, pat_this said:

besides the denali headlight housing, did you need any other connectors or relays for wiring? 

The denali assembly should come with the necessary wiring adapter already attached (both bulbs 9005, standard housing has 9005 HB/9006 LB) so make sure the ones you get have them.

48 minutes ago, edon said:

The denali assembly should come with the necessary wiring adapter already attached (both bulbs 9005, standard housing has 9005 HB/9006 LB) so make sure the ones you get have them.

Well, I'm looking to upgrade my stock headlights to denali projectors and just want to make sure I order the right parts. 

4 hours ago, pat_this said:

Well, I'm looking to upgrade my stock headlights to denali projectors and just want to make sure I order the right parts. 

The adapters are securely clipped to the housings and a "normal" person wouldn't take them off.  If you are getting used parts make sure they haven't been removed.  You can see the wiring plugged into the projector bulb at the bottom of the picture stolen off the net.

g100102_1ftbk.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, edon said:

The adapters are securely clipped to the housings and a "normal" person wouldn't take them off.  If you are getting used parts make sure they haven't been removed.  You can see the wiring plugged into the projector bulb at the bottom of the picture stolen off the net.

g100102_1ftbk.jpg

like these?

https://www.headlightsdepot.com/headlights-headlamps-denali-01-06-hl-asy-projector-pair-w-xenons.html?SID=6cae3248cd064aa0985421428c5af454&gclid=CjwKCAiAnsnjBRB6EiwATkM1XpxXA9oHZ95shEVsvpy-0Qj__Tq8ECzsUep9dRetnsZhwvEl9Mje_hoCwpYQAvD_BwE

Thanks for the response - sounds like the wiring connectors for the factory light should plug into the projector units - I've had to fabricate a lot of adapter pigtails for one thing and another over the years, and it's good to know that shouldn't be necessary in this case. 

Do you happen to remember what brand of Xenon bulbs you used for the low beams?

• 2 months later...

Well, I hope no one else ordered those Denali lights from Headlights Depot - they are not the original GM lights.  I ordered a set and they are made in Taiwan copies.  The low beam projector is very bad compared to the GM units that I have (made in Canada by Autosystems, say "GM" on front lenses).  The light thrown on the ground is very spotty, has shadows with both halogen and xenon bulbs.  I'm not sure what brand HID I have - the local shop I got them at has their own name printed on the packaging.