First GM truck since my 14 LT

vrhaines

Just picked up my 19 Red Hot Trail Boss LT Crew. Had a Ram and an f150 since and it’s good to be back in a bow tie. I ALMOST went tundra but this was a lot of truck for the money! Now for exhaust! Ideas?
1C9691FC-1EA3-4BB6-9075-E56AF147AF29.thumb.jpeg.86b4de88e14cbc1b32a34601219de210.jpeg

Things you may want to think about. Are you familiar with the new cylinder deactivation technology? Different sounds will be coming out of your exhaust you may not expect with loud exhaust. I’d check with the dealer to see if they’d addressed that with tuned exhaust. Just throwing a loud muffler on may not get results you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Things you may want to think about. Are you familiar with the new cylinder deactivation technology? Different sounds will be coming out of your exhaust you may not expect with loud exhaust. I’d check with the dealer to see if they’d addressed that with tuned exhaust. Just throwing a loud muffler on may not get results you want.

Very familiar. My ‘14 had it. I am fine with the Truck sounding not so great in high gears as long as I can stand on it and it sound good. 

Do folks get an exhaust for the additional sound or minimal power bump? Maybe I’m getting to be an old fogy but loud exhausts kind of annoy me. And the drone on the highway would make me insane. Not criticizing, just wondering.

• Like 1

Do folks get an exhaust for the additional sound or minimal power bump? Maybe I’m getting to be an old fogy but loud exhausts kind of annoy me. And the drone on the highway would make me insane. Not criticizing, just wondering.

I had (have) tuned exhaust on every V8 I’ve owned. Until fairly recently you could get up to 30HP just with duel exhaust. GM finally muffles their exhaust with a series of high flow cats, mufflers and resonator. Back in the day even high performance vehicles had restricted exhaust, not so much now. The people that like tuned exhaust it’s like a symphony.

If the new gm dual exhaust has small resonators near the bumper your cheapest approach would be to have an exhaust shop weld in a straight pipe to replace the muffler. The adaptive valve if you leave it will still knock down the v4 noise and the cats and resonators by the bumper will keep the note from being too loud. If you don't like it you can always swap in an aftermarket muffler or entire cat back system.

Whatever you post up a few videos so everyone can enjoy

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Happy with my magnaflow 12909 / 14909 stainless. These are 3.5” pipe diameter for 6.2. 5.3 pipe diameter is different and you could go with another magnaflow. 

No drone. Sounds near stock in v4. I could always hear v4 even in stock.

Nice low tone and I can now hear it cold start in the house. 

https://youtu.be/1lBvLiwhdaE

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

One problem, it’s not just V4 anymore.

Right. That’s the only thing about these new ones but I feel like it wouldn’t be too invasive as long as you don’t go too too aggresive on exhaust. 

6 hours ago, vrhaines said:

Just picked up my 19 Red Hot Trail Boss LT Crew. Had a Ram and an f150 since and it’s good to be back in a bow tie. I ALMOST went tundra but this was a lot of truck for the money! Now for exhaust! Ideas?

1C9691FC-1EA3-4BB6-9075-E56AF147AF29.jpeg

I have an electronic cutout on my Trail Boss and it honestly sounds great at all speeds.  You dont hear or feel it shift to the different cylinder modes.

I have an electronic cutout on my Trail Boss and it honestly sounds great at all speeds.  You dont hear or feel it shift to the different cylinder modes.
Did you make any YouTube videos of what it sounds like or any pics from under the truck?

20 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Did you make any YouTube videos of what it sounds like or any pics from under the truck?

Yep.  Scroll down through the 1st page, there should be 3 videos.

Yep.  Scroll down through the 1st page, there should be 3 videos.

Sounds sweet. Magnaflow has an off-road exhaust with a turn down tip you might want to look at. Are you concerned about exhaust gas heat and condensation with just a regular tip like that? Or do you only open it when you want to hear some extra noise?

2 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Sounds sweet. Magnaflow has an off-road exhaust with a turn down tip you might want to look at. Are you concerned about exhaust gas heat and condensation with just a regular tip like that? Or do you only open it when you want to hear some extra noise?

Honestly, I'm not concerned about it really.  The exhaust travels straight up between my cab and the bed.  I had a similar setup on my K2 and didnt have any issues.  Originally on this truck, I had a cherrybomb extreme after the cutout but it was not much louder than stock so I got rid of it.  I drive with it open 98% of the time cuz I love the sound.