Truck wont start. PassLock Security issues

On 4/12/2020 at 7:05 PM, JJP442 said:

Does the 30 minute reset work or is still needed if the truck starts after the first 10 minutes?

My truck is an ‘01 Yukon with 278,000 miles.

I’m wondering if it’s just time to replace the housing you mention due to age and mileage.

TIA,

Big John NYC

If it cranks after 10. No you don't have to do the 30.

• 4 weeks later...

Having somewhat same issue.  05 Tahoe LT.  Checking fuses and this happened. Radio just shows rearview cam. Key fob, door locks windows HVAC n stereo not working except rear cam view on. Even w no key.  Starts then dies.  However, if I pull radio fuse under hood everything back to norm except stereo. Replace fuse n back to nothing working?  Can anyone help.  Aftermarket HU

• 4 months later...

These Trucks can be a real problem.  I was wondering if you could give me some advice.  I'm working on a 2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0l.  It was driving down the road and got a reduced power message then shut off.  When checking it out we had no communication with the computer.  So I replaced it programmed with the proper data and VIN#.  It would not re-learn the key.  I did what I should not have done and shorted the two wires on the passlock.  It learned and ran fine for two days and then the same thing happened.  Difference now is that the computer communicates fine.  I reconnected the passlock wires but the security light will not go out.  Every time I try to start it the starter kicks in then immediately kicks back out and so does the starter relay.  When testing the circuits the thing started, 20 times.  The next morning I went out and same thing starter just kicked in and out.  An hour later when I went to check voltages again it started, again I started it several times.  I'm afraid to take it anywhere because it may shut off or just not start again.  Could this now be a passlock problem?  Usually if its a passkey problem it will still start for 3 seconds and not just kick the starter back out like this truck is doing.  I'm not getting any codes but don't have a device that will check the BCM.  Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2019 at 5:35 PM, carnau said:

Terrible Idea! Reconnect the wires properly and do a 30 minute relearn. Here is how. Also 90% of the time when this happens it is a passlock sensor located in the housing. Replace the housing and relearn the sensor and you won't have any more issues.

Here is the housing you need. https://amzn.to/2E9k4LB

If you want to bypass the passlock install this - https://amzn.to/2E9W6Qo

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1.) Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2.) Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.

3.) Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4.) Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5.) Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

6.) Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.

7.) With a scan tool, clear any DTCs, if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

I have an 02 Sierra 1500 sle 4.8l. I've tried just about everything. Researched this issue numerous times though it seems to happen during season change. I've replaced key cylinder, computer, alternator, starter, battery, checked wires, fuel system, fuses/relays. I bought a code reader and have done the relearn process with the new computer. Replaced the wires at the lock cylinder as well. The only thing I haven't done is replace the cylinder housing you've  mentioned, you seem to know what your talking about. I will try this and let you know. Granted my truck has 367,000+ miles on it and I probably could use an upgrade. I hope this works!

• 3 months later...

Hello I have a 99 Chevy Silverado1500 the battery was dead n I went n got a new battery installed the new battery n then it started right up ran it for 30 minutes shut off n started back up went in house n came out the next morning n it won't start no crank nothing when I bought the truck the old owner said u have to push in the button on the wiper switch n then put key in to start it I have done all this but nothing now pls help

• 9 months later...

I installed an aftermarket remote start on an '03 Burban. The passlock security would not allow it to work properly, due to the ignition security.

I bypassed the ignition security, by connecting the wires together using a resistor - then I did the relearn.

Worked great. No more security issues.

I also installed a hidden kill switch, which is even more effective than the passlock security.

• 8 months later...

Here's the steps without modification... should only take 10 seconds.

1. Get in your vehicle, but leave your door open. Put your key in the ignition and leave it inserted, do NOT turn your key to any position yet. You will hear the rapid dings, let it go for about 3-4 seconds.

2. Turn your key to the ON position only, do NOT start the engine yet. Wait until you hear the dinging sound change to slow dings, you will see the lights on your dash go out and the dinging sound will stop.

3. Now turn your key to the START position and start your engine.

Hope this helps someone. 🙂