Trail Boss vs AT4 vs Elevation

I have an '08 HHR SS and I am thinking about selling it this year to get a new Silverado or Sierra. I like the look of the Trail Boss but there are so many models and trim packages I cant keep them all straight.  I want to get a nice 4x4 and keep it under $40k so I have been eyeing the Custom Trail Boss but I saw the AT4 is the GMC equivalent but around $50k is the elevation similar to the custom trim level? So many trims and damn are they all expensive...

Edited by Jricharc
added text

Elevation is a little more Upscale than Custom.

The GMC SLE is the base version so that package is similar to the Chevy Silverado Custom.

Elevation is about the same as Silverado RST. Painted Bumper, handles , mirrors etc.

GMC trucks always fetch more than Chevrolet for comparable trim packages.

The average price of an AT4 is closer to 60K

Average Trail Boss LT price is probably 55K

Bottom line is which body style/grille do you like more?  Then go from there.

Trucks are a second mortgage these days no matter what! LOL

Like GM said during T1's launch last year...… " We have a Truck for everyone "

Thanks for the clarification, yes the prices they have these trucks at is pretty outrageous.  $40k+ and cloth seats seems odd to me, I will explore the different trims more and see if I can find a specific one that checks all the right boxes without having to sell a kidney to get it haha.

10 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Good luck with your search :thumbs:

At least you are not in the market for a 2500HD

Some of these trucks will no doubt eclipse the 90K mark.

Certain Escalade models have surpassed 100k

Yea it's crazy, I would hate to spend that kind of money on a truck  to abuse it so I have my '86 Squarebody for my work truck and I can actually get a full sheet of drywall in that one...

1 hour ago, Jricharc said:

I have an '08 HHR SS and I am thinking about selling it this year to get a new Silverado or Sierra. I like the look of the Trail Boss but there are so many models and trim packages I cant keep them all straight.  I want to get a nice 4x4 and keep it under $40k so I have been eyeing the Custom Trail Boss but I saw the AT4 is the GMC equivalent but around $50k is the elevation similar to the custom trim level? So many trims and damn are they all expensive...

Elevation on GMC = RST on Chevy.  Elevation is a body colored SLE but its gets 20" wheels standard.  On Chevy, RST is a body colored LT.

AT4 > Trail Boss LT .  AT4 does have the option for 6.2 power as AT4 is based on SLT trim level.  Trail Boss are based either on Custom or LT trims. 

Custom Trail Boss vs. LT Trail Boss. 

Custom uses the old (but slightly updated) engines from 2018MY, the 4.3 LV3 and the 5.3 L82 (formerly L83), both with traditional AFM.  Both get the 6L80 and 3.42 gearing.  Custom TB is based on the Custom trim level, and has pretty much the same option packages as the Custom.

LT Trail Boss.  LT TB gets the new 5.3 L84 engine (Dynamic Fuel Management).  Transmission is the 8L90 8 speed, gearing is 3.23.  LT Trail Boss gets similar option packages to the LT/RST trims.      

I'd say it comes down to what features you really want/need, and then looks.  Oh, and obviously budget.  If you want leather, you'd go LT TB or AT4, or you can always add it to a Custom TB.  Radio optoins, heated seats, the trick rear seat storages, buckets with console, you'd have to stray to LT TB/AT4. 

Looking at the Chevy build and price, a Custom TB Double Cab with no options other than the 5.3, MSRPs at $42,390.  A regular Custom 4x4 5.3 DC would start at $39,790.  Rebates are thin right now, they just announced $7500 on Crew Cab LT with Allstar and Z71 though. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jricharc said:

So many trims and damn are they all expensive...

Yeah, if you look online there are endless combinations. I suggest you go to your nearest dealer and look at what is on the lot. there are a couple of the most popular packages that they keep plenty of. What is it you like about the Trail Boss/AT4? You can easily swap wheels and tires on your own, and a leveling kit is also fairly simple. So, I recommend you first shop for regular common packages to see what you like and what mods you want to make. Then price that out. Plenty of ways to make a truck your own. Those packages you listed are just a way for GM to take more of your money, IMO.

17 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Yeah, if you look online there are endless combinations. I suggest you go to your nearest dealer and look at what is on the lot. there are a couple of the most popular packages that they keep plenty of. What is it you like about the Trail Boss/AT4? You can easily swap wheels and tires on your own, and a leveling kit is also fairly simple. So, I recommend you first shop for regular common packages to see what you like and what mods you want to make. Then price that out. Plenty of ways to make a truck your own. Those packages you listed are just a way for GM to take more of your money, IMO.

I like the aggressive look of the wheel/tire package of the trail boss and I could live with both front end styles, but I did some digging and the custom doesn’t even have steering wheel controls for the radio or dash cluster screen.  That is beyond stupid by GM and I’m sure was done in some way to persuade people up to the LT trim.  I’m wondering if it’s a better option to get a loaded ‘18 model at a deep discount and add a lift and wheels. 

Edited by Jricharc

1 minute ago, Jricharc said:

I’m wondering if it’s a better option to get a loaded ‘18 model at a deep discount and add a lift and wheels. 

definitely. any of the common packages are going to offer more options at better prices. 

And I personally think the 18's look better than the 19's.

56 minutes ago, Jricharc said:

but I did some digging and the custom doesn’t even have steering wheel controls for the radio or dash cluster screen.  That is beyond stupid by GM and I’m sure was done in some way to persuade people up to the LT trim.  

Unfortunately they've always done this.  Dates to the GMT-800 era when they first offered wheel controls in 2003. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

If you get the trail boss or make sure you take it up on the highway as those DuraTrac tires are pretty loud. I have them on my 2016 they take a little getting used to but eventually you don't hear the noise anymore. it does seem like I lost one to two miles per gallon after I put on the duratrac tires.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

If you get the trail boss or make sure you take it up on the highway as those DuraTrac tires are pretty loud. I have them on my 2016 they take a little getting used to but eventually you don't hear the noise anymore. it does seem like I lost one to two miles per gallon after I put on the duratrac tires.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Compared to other trim levels, Trail Boss and AT4 will have reduced MPG due to the DuraTrac tires and factory 2" Lift.