5 minutes ago, tbarn said:

Regarding PCV freeze up, it does happen. Not exactly pertaining to '14 and up but it does happen. Just sayin'

rear main.pdf

Well you know...I am not so proud I can’t admit when I’m wrong, I didn’t think it could happen but I’m obviously wrong. Thank you for posting this before I made more of an arse of myself ? I don’t know if those models had valve cover vent lines but regardless, I learned something today.

3 hours ago, paracutin said:

I couldn't agree more.  Further, removing a mod before going to the dealer is tantamount to fraud.  Especially when you suspect said mod might be the reason for the warranty trip.

LOL!  You're worried about committing fraud toward the dealer?!  How noble of you!  The rest of us are worried about the dealers defrauding US!  ?

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 8:26 AM, 14SierraZ71 said:

Ok so long story short I found a big oil puddle in my driveway after parking my 14 Sierra with the 5.3. The dealer I took it to said the rear main seal blew and the cause was the combination of cold temperatures and the oil catch can that I put on the vehicle. I installed the elite engineering e2 can with one way check valve. Has anyone else had this issue? They're telling me since I put that system on it voids the warranty and I have to pay for the rear main needless to say I'm pretty pissed

Yeah I removed mine this fall for this very region. Unless you check your can a minimum of one a week, it'll fill up with ice and cause the crankcase to pressurize. I know a guy that did the exact had the exact same thing happen to his Elite can on his F-150 3.5eb. I was lucky. The first time mine ice shut it caused the truck to stall, so I went right for the can knowing it must have blocked the PCV.

1 hour ago, SS502 said:

Well you know...I am not so proud I can’t admit when I’m wrong, I didn’t think it could happen but I’m obviously wrong. Thank you for posting this before I made more of an arse of myself ? I don’t know if those models had valve cover vent lines but regardless, I learned something today.

Very common on Equinox and Terrain also.

46 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Yeah I removed mine this fall for this very region. Unless you check your can a minimum of one a week, it'll fill up with ice and cause the crankcase to pressurize. I know a guy that did the exact had the exact same thing happen to his Elite can on his F-150 3.5eb. I was lucky. The first time mine ice shut it caused the truck to stall, so I went right for the can knowing it must have blocked the PCV.

Yea I wish I would've had some sort of warning sign because it hasn't been running any different that's why I was so surprised when I saw all that oil in my driveway. So when I went to the dealer today to take some pictures the service manager told me they just recently had a customer with a Z06 vette that the same exact thing happened to him because of a catch can. But aftermarket aside he said there's been a lot of customers with equinoxes and Acadias etc that are bone stock having problems with the rear main seals this winter. It's been pretty brutal lately up here in upstate NY

Edited by 14SierraZ71

Still going to run one. I am very sorry to the people who seem to have catch can issues but seems like all of a sudden this is an issue when these things have been around for years. I guess everything is subject to an occasional failure but I’m still trying to figure out how air can’t vent out but that’s just my prehistoric brain. I remember when the only issue was whether they served any purpose...is the air that goes through the PCV a sealed system independent from the air that flows out the valve covers into the air plenum? If it’s all part of the same system this makes no sense at all to me.

Edited by SS502

15 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Still going to run one. I am very sorry to the people who seem to have catch can issues but seems like all of a sudden this is an issue when these things have been around for years. I guess everything is subject to an occasional failure but I’m still trying to figure out how air can’t vent out but that’s just my prehistoric brain. I remember when the only issue was whether they served any purpose...

It's more of an issue for those of us that live in regions were below zero temps are normal in the winter. Some of us northerners won't have an issue with the CC icing up if they drive the truck long enough to burn off most of the moisture. BUT if you do a lot of idling to warm the truck up and only drive 5 or 10 miles before getting to your destination, a lot of that moisture leaves the crankcase and fills the CC up with water condensation. It will ventually turn into a solid block of ice.

Even where it's mounted can make icing problems more common. The guy in the video below mounted his in front of the radiator. It probably works awesome in the summer since the CC is getting tons of cool air to help pull more oil vapor out of the gases leaving the crankcase, BUT it's going to have constant problems with ice in the winter as long as he keeps it mounted there. Even if he didn't did too much idling and short trips, it's probably going to ice up a lot.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

1 minute ago, HondaHawkGT said:

It's more of an issue for those of us that live in regions were below zero temps are normal in the winter. Some guys won't have an issue with the CC icing up if they drive long enough to burn off most of the moisture. BUT if you do a lot of idling to warm the truck up and only drive 5 or 10 miles before getting to your destination, a lot of that moisture leaves the crankcase and condenses in the ice cold CC.

Even where it's mounted can make icing problems more common. This guy mounted his in front of the radiator. It probably works awesome in the summertime since the CC is getting tons of cool air to help pull more oil vapor out of the gases leaving the crankcase, but it's going to have constant problems with ice in the winter as long as he keeps it mounted there.

Thanks HondaHawkGT...I probably was adding this as you were replying: ...is the air that goes through the PCV a sealed system independent from the air that flows out the valve covers into the air plenum? If it’s all part of the same system this makes no sense at all to me.

2 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Thanks HondaHawkGT...I probably was adding this as you were replying: ...is the air that goes through the PCV a sealed system independent from the air that flows out the valve covers into the air plenum? If it’s all part of the same system this makes no sense at all to me.

The PCV system draws metered air (air that's been sensed by the MAF) from the intake, pulls it in on the passenger side valve cover, exits the driver's side valve cover, and enters the intake manifold. The CC is typically installed between the PCV outlet and the intake manifold although there are some newer CC designs that change the way the system is plumbed. I have an early EE can that's much simpler than the later (and much more expensive) CC that EE came out with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, paracutin said:

I couldn't agree more.  Further, removing a mod before going to the dealer is tantamount to fraud.  Especially when you suspect said mod might be the reason for the warranty trip.

See your catching some heat. Sorry to see that. 

Well it isn't tantamount to fraud; it IS fraud. So I admire your moral code and say "Hats off"! 

One of your detractors says: 

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

LOL!  You're worried about committing fraud toward the dealer?!  How noble of you!  The rest of us are worried about the dealers defrauding US!  ?

I find it interesting that ALL people hate being lied to but many of those same people don't mind lying.

This fella ridicules good behavior? Don't even know what to say to that. Especially since he seems truly proud of it.

He also indicates that it is his belief that 'rest of us' is in the majority. 

Don't look now but he is correct. 

Sad isn't it? 

Even if no one else noticed. If they did notice and didn't speak up then they, in principle agree with him. 

Again, Hats off! :thumbs:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

The PCV system draws metered air (air that's been sensed by the MAF) from the intake, pulls it in on the passenger side valve cover, exits the driver's side valve cover, and enters the intake manifold. The CC is typically installed between the PCV outlet and the intake manifold although there are some newer CC designs that change the way the system is plumbed. I have an early EE can that's much simpler than the later (and much more expensive) CC that EE came out with.

Question sir. Since the crankcase pressure, thus the valve cover pressure is higher than that between the MAF and the TB what device is moving the gasses? Since both the, as you say, inlet to PS valve cover and the DS outlet share the same inlet tube where is the pressure differential coming from that drives the circulation? 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Well I would say just add a quart of antifreeze to your oil but someone might take me seriously ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Question sir. Since the crankcase pressure, thus the valve cover pressure is higher than that between the MAF and the TB what device is moving the gasses? Since both the, as you say, inlet to PS valve cover and the DS outlet share the same inlet tube where is the pressure differential coming from that drives the circulation? 

Thank you Grumpy for asking what my noodle can’t seem to articulate into comprehensive meaning.

• Like 1