3 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Do these cans require periodic maintenance?  i.e. do they have to be opened up and cleaned or looked at for flow impedance issues?  Thanks, Catch Can posse!

I can't speak from a manufacture's standpoint but regular empting is a no brainer and I plan on doing an annual take apart and carb cleaner treatment to mine, but that's a darn good question and now I want to know LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elite Engineering said:

No.  Other than emptying the contents, they are pretty maintenance free.

Thanks!  I was just curious because I have the ball valve and every week or two I open it up and out comes the usual amount of sludge/liquid etc.  until last week and not much came out?  But I did what every noble American does at that point....Scratched my head, lit a cigarette and said, "F it get in the truck lets go"  That was hundreds of miles ago?  I would rather wrench on women than all these other things I seemingly have to wrench on........................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I can't speak from a manufacture's standpoint but regular empting is a no brainer and I plan on doing an annual take apart and carb cleaner treatment to mine, but that's a darn good question and now I want to know LOL

Right?  We all have these cans and hooked up in same manner as the poster?  Unless, check valve was malfunctioning installed incorrectly etc?  What is the worse that can happen other than swallowing up all the contents on combustion and stumbling and blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe for brief second?   So something is not correct 100% restriction of PCV? 

7 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Right?  We all have these cans and hooked up in same manner as the poster?  Unless, check valve was malfunctioning installed incorrectly etc?  What is the worse that can happen other than swallowing up all the contents on combustion and stumbling and blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe for brief second?   So something is not correct 100% restriction of PCV? 

That's what I was saying (I think lol) even if the check valve failed and stuck closed, the system would not just blow a rear main seal, it would run like crap and kick a CEL first. If the can was completely full/frozen solid/welded shut the system would not just blow a rear main seal, it would run like crap and kick a CEL first. if there was no can and the stock line failed/clogged/froze the system would not just blow a rear main seal, it would run like crap and kick a CEL first! I think the valve cover vent ports would allow excess garbage into the air plenum causing...(you already know) it to run like crap and kick a CEL.

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SS502 said:

That's what I was saying (I think lol) even if the check valve failed and stuck closed, the system would not just blow a rear main seal, it would run like crap and kick a CEL first. If the can was completely full/frozen solid/welded shut the system would not just blow a rear main seal, it would run like crap and kick a CEL first. if there was no can and the stock line failed/clogged/froze the system would not just blow a rear main seal, it would run like crap and kick a CEL first! I think the valve cover vent ports would allow excess garbage into the air plenum causing...(you already know) it to run like crap and kick a CEL.

Yup...Dealers anything to push the blame?  

4 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I just replaced a 9yr old PCV on a Nissan with check engine light on and have no idea how long that light was on?  The Valve was plugged and car did not have a RMS LEAK?

1 hour ago, SS502 said:

Well, can't see the lines but trust you. I just don't see how that could happen even if the can was completely filled with lead and allowed no flow at all. Wouldn't it just start running like crap, kick a CEL and push a lot more through the valve cover vents into the air-box? I mean, lets take the can out of the equation...if that one little stock line (that's removed for the can install) were to somehow get clogged or blocked you're just gonna blow a rear main? 

Well from what I read online is that the can just holds the moister leading to the lines freezing and not allowing pcv airflow. And once that happens it over pressurized the crank case and blew out the rear main. There's a couple different forums where guys report this happening. Not only on our vehicles but a wide range of engines with catch cans. I'm not slandering elite because up until now I liked the system it just seems than any catch can could potentially do this it doesn't matter who it is

• Like 2

I was really good about cleaning my catch can too I did it every 3,000 miles and currently it has almost exactly 2,000 since I did it last. As far as the check valve it and everything on the system was installed correctly. I'm too anal to over look something like that.

25 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

If the check valve failed for what ever reason there would not. Be another path for pressure relief. Unless I'm missing something.?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

When you pull the valve covers off and look at the valve train (on any engine I am familiar with) the oil comes off the rockers, valves and springs, seeps into the valley and then down into the crankcase, it's like one big chamber sealed under the valve covers. Think about where you add oil...into the valve cover. So there is a pathway for oil to move and if it started blowing into the valve cover (from over pressure) area it would go into the air plenum and right down the TB to be ingested and cause a badly running condition and kick a CEL. I'm sure there is a situation (ask GM) where this RMS could blow but I think there would be advanced warning signs...could be wrong, I am not a see all know all, just an old fart thinking out loud. Remember the old days before PCV...all we had was a valve cover breather.

Edited by SS502

Well from what I read online is that the can just holds the moister leading to the lines freezing and not allowing pcv airflow. And once that happens it over pressurized the crank case and blew out the rear main. There's a couple different forums where guys report this happening. Not only on our vehicles but a wide range of engines with catch cans. I'm not slandering elite because up until now I liked the system it just seems than any catch can could potentially do this it doesn't matter who it is
This is true. It has to go somewhere.

When you pull the valve covers off and look at the valve train (on any engine I am familiar with) the oil comes off the rockers, valves and springs, seeps into the valley and then down into the crankcase, it's like one big chamber sealed under the valve covers. Think about where you add oil...into the valve cover. So there is a pathway for oil to move and if it started blowing into the valve cover (from over pressure) area it would go into the air plenum and right down the TB to be ingested and cause a badly running condition and kick a CEL. I'm sure there is a situation (ask GM) where this RMS could blow but I think there would be advanced warning signs...could be wrong, I am not a see all know all, just an old fart thinking out loud.
Hey bud your logic is sound. Having said that if this was completely true no manufacture would install said (positive crankcase ventilation)valve correct?

9 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Hey bud your logic is sound. Having said that if this was completely true no manufacture would install said (positive crankcase ventilation)valve correct?

Yes they have too...EPA dictates this because it's all about NOT venting to the environment and being ingested back into the combustion cycle, through the cats, muffler and out the tailpipe.

Either way this sucks for the OP and I hope he doesn't get taken for a lot of money :(

Edited by SS502