Truck Package Headaches

6 hours ago, Chris walker said:

Im a little confused by people stating that you only adjust your seat once...Isnt the point of 10 way power seats to have more adjustment points? It doesnt matter how many times you plan on adjusting the seats its that you have 10 different adjustments to get the seats comfortable. If you get the manual seats you will have less adjustment points and potentially significantly less comfortable driving position....and at the end of the day you can add every gadget to the truck you want but if the miles driven arent comfortable, then its all for not. 

Am I missing something with my understanding of automatic seats...and when I ask that Im not being a smarty pants, Im asking  honestly.

Smarty pants away, only way you learn is by asking questions. You are completely correct on you take on the seats, a ton more positions to be had with the power options, whether you use them or not.

4 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Smarty pants away, only way you learn is by asking questions. You are completely correct on you take on the seats, a ton more positions to be had with the power options, whether you use them or not.

6 hours ago, Chris walker said:

Im a little confused by people stating that you only adjust your seat once...Isnt the point of 10 way power seats to have more adjustment points? It doesnt matter how many times you plan on adjusting the seats its that you have 10 different adjustments to get the seats comfortable. If you get the manual seats you will have less adjustment points and potentially significantly less comfortable driving position....and at the end of the day you can add every gadget to the truck you want but if the miles driven arent comfortable, then its all for not. 

maybe I'm an example of ignorance is bliss when it comes to power seats. But here's my thought. My couch doesn't have 10 way adjustment. My desk chair only has 4 manual adjustments. I spend more time sitting on my couch and my desk chair than in my truck. I don't know why I would need my padded truck seat to adjust any more than forward, back and recline. But I don't need lumbar support or anything special for my back. Maybe people at a certain age value that more than I do. At this point in my life I say keep the power adjust seat and give me a lower purchase price. 

The custom was ordered Friday, I'll be sure to post pic's in the other thread when it arrives. 

Custom.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/18/2019 at 2:21 PM, aseibel said:

maybe I'm an example of ignorance is bliss when it comes to power seats. But here's my thought. My couch doesn't have 10 way adjustment. My desk chair only has 4 manual adjustments. I spend more time sitting on my couch and my desk chair than in my truck. I don't know why I would need my padded truck seat to adjust any more than forward, back and recline. But I don't need lumbar support or anything special for my back. Maybe people at a certain age value that more than I do. At this point in my life I say keep the power adjust seat and give me a lower purchase price. 

When you're on your couch, are you constantly engaging pedals with your feet, and constantly manipulating a steering wheel, that are both relatively fixed in place?

How often do you go over bumps in your office chair? 

Edited by txab

On 1/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, allison said:

The custom was ordered Friday, I'll be sure to post pic's in the other thread when it arrives. 

Nice choice.  The custom delivers strong value in my opinion. 

On 1/24/2019 at 6:57 AM, SierraAT4 said:

When you're on your couch, are you constantly engaging pedals with your feet, and constantly manipulating a steering wheel, that are both relatively fixed in place?

How often do you go over bumps in your office chair? 

Yikes....no wonder Trump is our president. 

Do you readjust your seat every time you turn the wheel or press the gas? and what do bumps have to do with adjusting a seat? do you put your seat in a different position on a bumpy road than on a straight highway? you make no sense.

You set the seat in the proper position once and leave it there. I can move my seat forward and back to achieve the proper reach distance. I also have elbows and knees that allow my arms and legs to reach to the steering wheel and pedals.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aseibel said:

Do you readjust your seat every time you turn the wheel or press the gas? and what do bumps have to do with adjusting a seat? do you put your seat in a different position on a bumpy road than on a straight highway? you make no sense.

You set the seat in the proper position once and leave it there. I can move my seat forward and back to achieve the proper reach distance. I also have elbows and knees that allow my arms and legs to reach to the steering wheel and pedals.

Of course you don't. The need to have 10 different ways to adjust the seat has absolutely nothing to do with the frequency that you adjust the seat position. 

At the same time, you ignored my point which is that trying to draw an analogy between your couch (where you passively sit) and your truck (where you're actively using your arms and legs) is absurd. Anybody who thinks those are similar situations are the ones participating in the "ignorance is bliss" movement.

Has nothing to do with appearance. If you are just going to trash it and use it for work, of course get the custom. 

But, you lose out on all the creature comforts--power seats, leather wrapped wheel, tilt/telescoping column, etc. 

To me, its not that much more for the LT and I would miss all of those things, therefore, why spend 5-10 years wondering why I didn't get what I wanted. It's not that much more. You're already spending 40k on a truck what's 45k to get all that stuff. 

4 hours ago, protovack said:

Has nothing to do with appearance. If you are just going to trash it and use it for work, of course get the custom. 

But, you lose out on all the creature comforts--power seats, leather wrapped wheel, tilt/telescoping column, etc. 

To me, its not that much more for the LT and I would miss all of those things, therefore, why spend 5-10 years wondering why I didn't get what I wanted. It's not that much more. You're already spending 40k on a truck what's 45k to get all that stuff. 

Those are excellent points, as much time as we spend in out vehicles, 5K isn't that much to make the time more enjoyable.

But....this truck is being paid for by my employer. I can see why they don't want to pay for the LT package for all of their trucks. I'm fortunate they let me make any changes. They were going for the work truck package, and let me make a few changes that added maybe $1,500.00. I could have paid the difference to go to the LT, but don't really want to pay 5k for a truck that isn't mine.

This brings me to another problem with the way the packages are set up. The first step is to configure the drive-train. The 4.3 V6 was around 3k less than the 5.3 V8, so i knew I was stuck with the V6. It has basically the same power as my 2002 5.3 Silverado, so I wasn't too worried about it. 

I was playing with the build page after the truck was ordered and found that because of other options that I had selected (trailer package, locking rear, etc.), the 5.3 would have added less that $1,400.00. I would have paid out of pocket for the V8 if I had known it was only $1,400.00.

56 minutes ago, protovack said:

I wouldn't have paid $1500 out of my own pocket for the V8. I think your employer would have paid that had they felt it was necessary for the truck to do what it needs to do, no? 

The V6 will absolutely do what I need, but the V8 will do what I want:D. Sometimes extra power is nice when you are trying to merge in traffic. The listed fuel mileage is the same with both engines.