Short Bed or Standard bed???

Ultra54

1 hour ago, Imcrazy said:

Can't fit much in a 6.5' bed,  might as well get the 5.5' bed and be able to fit it easier in your garage... I have a 6.5' bed on my DBL cab and my next truck will be a crew with a 5.5' bed because a crew with a 6.5' won't fit in my garage and I'm not going to park a $50k machine outside lol.... If I need to haul bigger stuff I use a trailer... That's just my .02 if you don't park in many tight spaces and it will fit in your garage I guess you need to decide if the extra 12" of cargo space is important to you, if you don't haul a lot of large loads I'd get the short bed, it will be easier to sell probably.

I can't fit my 6 foot DeWalt miter box saw stand in the shortbed not to mention the rest of my tools 

Edited by dieselfan1

Yea, looks of a truck is major things for everyone except Dougfl I guess lol.  And dont worry about parking your 50k-60k machine outside. My house cost significantly more and it's been fine being outside for the past 14 years.  Haven't even buffed or waxed her yet either. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I prefer the look and functionality of the standard bed. I was so happy to learn they added the std box length to the 14+ 1500s. Had a 07 crew short box with 8"lift and 35s. I hated the look and lack of space of the short bed. I use my bed a lot so the extra is necessary for me. I understand not everyone needs it. I just dislike the proportion of a crew cab and short bed. Looks off. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For the Trail Boss, how does the 10" longer standard bed (and wheelbase?) affect towing specs for towing, tongue, and payload compared to the short bed? 

Since I'll probably order vs get off the lot, I'm intrigued by this option. 

From someone in a northern climate- I like parking inside just so I don't have to deal with frost on all the windows every day from october to march. I know I could park outside and remote start and wait til it warms up to melt all the windows. but the ability to park inside leads me to really be happy with my CC short bed.

Now if I had a shed to park in, I would rather have more bed, BUT I have a trailer for large loads, and my truck turns like a battleship already. So unless you daily need 6' of bed length, just make life easier and get the short bed.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, UGADawgs said:

For the Trail Boss, how does the 10" longer standard bed (and wheelbase?) affect towing specs for towing, tongue, and payload compared to the short bed? 

Since I'll probably order vs get off the lot, I'm intrigued by this option. 

Chevy site states 9500lb for short bed and 9400lb for standard bed. So not much difference. 

• Like 1

I'm having a similar debate but for me it's double cab standard box vs crew cab short box. I'm not really interested in trying to drive and park a crew cab standard box as I live in the city and it will be my daily. 

Advantage of the double cab is hauling, obviously, which is one of my two reasons for getting a truck (the other being towing). However, the wife and I are thinking of having a couple kids and I usually run errands, such as pick up groceries on the way home, so I'm thinking the crew cab might be a bit nicer for that and for our bags when we go camping in the time between when we get the truck and when we get a trailer. 

I would appreciate any advice or experience you guys have with both body styles. Thanks. 

34 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I'm having a similar debate but for me it's double cab standard box vs crew cab short box. I'm not really interested in trying to drive and park a crew cab standard box as I live in the city and it will be my daily. 

Advantage of the double cab is hauling, obviously, which is one of my two reasons for getting a truck (the other being towing). However, the wife and I are thinking of having a couple kids and I usually run errands, such as pick up groceries on the way home, so I'm thinking the crew cab might be a bit nicer for that and for our bags when we go camping in the time between when we get the truck and when we get a trailer. 

I would appreciate any advice or experience you guys have with both body styles. Thanks. 

For kids I would say crew cab all the way.  Especially if you plan to keep the truck for a long time.  The crew also holds lots of groceries and camping stuff (i haul both regularly).  I still prefer the crew/standard bed because I haul kayaks, fishing gear, camping gear, coolers, etc. often.  To me kids trump all and a crew cab/shortbed would be better than a doublecab/standard bed if the choice was limited to this.  The short bed can still handle plenty.  If you dont use the truck bed often, its enough.  As far as maneuvering them, I dont see a big deal in the longer truck.  But Ive driven dualies and towed cattle in goosenecks more than a few times.  So I guess my comfort levels for bigger trucks is a bit different than most.  But once you get used to a bit of a longer truck, its second nature.  Just take your time parking and turning until you get comfortable.

Edited by DirtyMarcus
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DirtyMarcus said:

For kids I would say crew cab all the way.  Especially if you plan to keep the truck for a long time.  The crew also holds lots of groceries and camping stuff (i haul both regularly).  I still prefer the crew/standard bed because I haul kayaks, fishing gear, camping gear, coolers, etc. often.  To me kids trump all and a crew cab/shortbed would be better than a doublecab/standard bed if the choice was limited to this.  The short bed can still handle plenty.  If you dont use the truck bed often, its enough.  As far as maneuvering them, I dont see a big deal in the longer truck.  But Ive driven dualies and towed cattle in goosenecks more than a few times.  So I guess my comfort levels for bigger trucks is a bit different than most.  But once you get used to a bit of a longer truck, its second nature.  Just take your time parking and turning until you get comfortable.

Thanks for the input. The other issue with the crew cab standard box is that it will hang off my driveway onto the sidewalk but, since a couple of my neighbours do that, it's obviously not actually a problem. 

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Thanks for the input. The other issue with the crew cab standard box is that it will hang off my driveway onto the sidewalk but, since a couple of my neighbours do that, it's obviously not actually a problem. 

Ugh!  People in my neighborhood act like its the end of the world if your vehicle blocks the sidewalk.  Even if its in your own driveway.  

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Ive had all cab and bed configurations. Crew cab longbed is nice but it barely fits in my garage. Has to be a 3/4 ton though. Double cab longbed is almost as big but small in the backseat. Again 3/4 ton only.

The Crew cab standard bed is the perfect truck if you ask me. I have this and a Double cab standard bed and prefer the crew. You get the roomy cab with a bed large enough to haul most stuff.  Get a trailer if you have to haul something bigger.

The shortbeds are totally worthless. They look stupid too. Yuppie truck. Kids hauler.

As a rule the longer the wheelbase the better ride.

As for parking , well you're on your own there. I don't have any trouble.

Can't haul anything in the useless  short bed? Huh, how was I able to get camping gear, my mountain bike and other off road essentials in my short bed for a two week long back country excursion? How do I fit a long pallet of 2,200 lb flooring in my short bed or sod or crushed granite? How do I fit my tools or other home improvements in my short bed for building the patio or shed? Oh, I do just fine and a bed extender adds even more. 10" aren't making that much of a difference, especially when it still fits in the garage. Now the next house will have a much larger garage as I do prefer the longer bed, but the short bed is far and away not useless...

As far as picking a bed based on looks, that is just silly. You have trouble deciding as it is based on looks, who cares what others think. Half will think a long bed looks silly and the other half a short. In the end of the day it is a truck and should be bought for such reasons, looks should be way down the list...

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970

39 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Can't haul anything in the useless  short bed? Huh, how was I able to get camping gear, my mountain bike and other off road essentials in my short bed for a two week long back country excursion? How do I fit a long pallet of 2,200 lb flooring in my short bed or sod or crushed granite? How do I fit my tools or other home improvements in my short bed for building the patio or shed? Oh, I do just fine and a bed extender adds even more. 10" aren't making that much of a difference, especially when it still fits in the garage. Now the next house will have a much larger garage as I do prefer the longer bed, but the short bed is far and away not useless...

As far as picking a bed based on looks, that is just silly. You have trouble deciding as it is based on looks, who cares what others think. Half will think a long bed looks silly and the other half a short. In the end of the day it is a truck and should be bought for such reasons, looks should be way down the list...

Crew cab short box it is. 

1 hour ago, DirtyMarcus said:

Ugh!  People in my neighborhood act like its the end of the world if your vehicle blocks the sidewalk.  Even if its in your own driveway.  

What's stupid is they ran the sidewalk through the middle, so my 30 ft driveway is a 20 ft section and a 10 ft section, separated by the walk.

• Confused 1