Bigger gas tank for 1500 Crew cab

.02   Dream or complain all you want......GM is simply not going to modify their basic design for the 1500 to squeeze a larger tank in place of the DEF tank.......spent all their design money shrinking the tank to allow space for a DEF tank option. Extra 100+ lb of fuel would require new EPA, CAFE numbers and crash testing for a larger volume tank.

A 24 gal tank, so what? At 16 mpg on a 24 gal tank gives a range of 380 miles, not good enough for today? At 60 mph that's 6 hours of constant driving and my bladder's full a long time before that gas tank is empty so time for a service stop anyway. And about that mileage the hood should be popped and a walk around safety check for leaks should be done anyway.

And distance from a gas station is no excuse.......if you run out of gas it is your own fault.

Distances of service from in Interstates:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/08/longest-distances-between-exits-on-US-freeways-415029/1?csp=34money&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+UsatodaycomMoney-TopStories+(Money+-+Top+#.XsqyEcApBPY

Longest stretch in lower U.S. without gas:

https://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?46489-Longest-stretch-without-a-gas-station-in-the-lower-48-us

My dad's pig '65 Chrysler 383 4bbl which was wider, longer and 200 lb heavier than a 5.3l 1500 got 6-7 mpg on a good day going downhill with a 32 gal tank for a range of 225 miles..... considered about average in those days.....about the same range as a '64 Nova I6 , a lighter, smaller car with a smaller gas tank........and I don't remember anyone complaining about the range, or the price of gasoline......occasionally might get a braggard boasting he was getting 10+ mpg. So what's the big problem today?

Want more range, buy a Jerry can.

https://www.amazon.com/VALPRO-Liter-Gallon-Jerry-Flexible/dp/B07541SV4Y/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=jerry+can&qid=1590343736&sr=8-9

• Like 1

I can understand the guys that are towing using a gas engine wanting a bigger tank and I think a transfer tank is probably the only option.

However with my 6.2 LTZ the tank is plenty big enough for me, 90% of my driving is highway and I can get 400 miles, I can't hold my pee any longer than that ?

Tom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/17/2018 at 11:56 AM, Rhino19 said:

Any one out there know of a supplier making a larger capacity than stock replacement gas tank for 2019 Silverado/ Sierra 1500 4WD?  Preferably in the 32 gal + or -  range. 

Thanks 

a 36 gal out of a 2500 wont fit 1500?

On 5/24/2020 at 11:22 AM, Thomcat said:

.02   Dream or complain all you want......GM is simply not going to modify their basic design for the 1500 to squeeze a larger tank in place of the DEF tank.......spent all their design money shrinking the tank to allow space for a DEF tank option. Extra 100+ lb of fuel would require new EPA, CAFE numbers and crash testing for a larger volume tank.

A 24 gal tank, so what? At 16 mpg on a 24 gal tank gives a range of 380 miles, not good enough for today? At 60 mph that's 6 hours of constant driving and my bladder's full a long time before that gas tank is empty so time for a service stop anyway. And about that mileage the hood should be popped and a walk around safety check for leaks should be done anyway.

And distance from a gas station is no excuse.......if you run out of gas it is your own fault.

Distances of service from in Interstates:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/08/longest-distances-between-exits-on-US-freeways-415029/1?csp=34money&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+UsatodaycomMoney-TopStories+(Money+-+Top+#.XsqyEcApBPY

Longest stretch in lower U.S. without gas:

https://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?46489-Longest-stretch-without-a-gas-station-in-the-lower-48-us

My dad's pig '65 Chrysler 383 4bbl which was wider, longer and 200 lb heavier than a 5.3l 1500 got 6-7 mpg on a good day going downhill with a 32 gal tank for a range of 225 miles..... considered about average in those days.....about the same range as a '64 Nova I6 , a lighter, smaller car with a smaller gas tank........and I don't remember anyone complaining about the range, or the price of gasoline......occasionally might get a braggard boasting he was getting 10+ mpg. So what's the big problem today?

Want more range, buy a Jerry can.

https://www.amazon.com/VALPRO-Liter-Gallon-Jerry-Flexible/dp/B07541SV4Y/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=jerry+can&qid=1590343736&sr=8-9

First we are not in 1965 - but sure wish we were for gas prices at $0.20 per gallon! 

For those of us who tow with our truck we want a reasonable range - at 8 mpg towing you are looking at 200 miles of range +/-, that is simply not enough.  A 36 gallon replacement tank would get you to about 300 miles - which is bare minimum.  400 miles would be ideal, just like the truck not towing.   A Jerry can requires a stop and fill, which we are trying to avoid, to keep our time of travel to a minimum. 

We could buy a diesel and get more range, but we don't want to drive around a 3/4 or 1 ton truck everyday and don't tow enough of a load to warrant the added torque of the big trucks diesel motor.  The Duramax for the 1/2 ton does not get any better mileage towing a 8,500 lb. enclosed trailer like I do, so that offers no additional range and worse performance on the street. 

So end of the day it is all about how you use your truck.  I like driving a 1/2 ton everyday for ride quality and size, I like having V8 rumble and the performance that goes with the 6.2L and 10 speed.  I have no issue paying for gas or accepting lower mileage to get what I want.  Only thing I can't get is "decent" range when towing.  That is the one compromise this thread is trying to address. 

GM won't be offering a larger tank, due to cost to certify.  Most aftermarket tank builders won't touch it due to EPA and CA CARB rules and extreme penalties for messing with the emission, which the gas fuel tank is a part of.   So for now we will live with poor range and jerry cans, unless we can find an alternate solution.  I am working on tank on passenger side that will transfer fuel to the main tank.  Hoping to add 20+ gallon tank there with fuel fill just like the main tank and call it a day at 46 gallons total.  Now just finding someone who can do that and make it safe is the challenge. 

Edited by Supercup
  • Like 1

As someone who frequently drives ~600miles/8-10hr trips across my province, as well as 2hrs to and from work each day, I wish there was at least 30gal/120L tank option. Time is money. I would sacrifice 3-4" of the bed for a clean slip tank install, or maybe even the dead space around the one(or both) sides of the wheel well. That's probably all the volume that's required to make the truck reach my points of destination.

I like the flo n go idea as a backup but I hate the idea of unsecured fuel in the bed, in plastic containers, with poor ventilation.

As someone who frequently drives ~600miles/8-10hr trips across my province, as well as 2hrs to and from work each day, I wish there was at least 30gal/120L tank option. Time is money. I would sacrifice 3-4" of the bed for a clean slip tank install, or maybe even the dead space around the one(or both) sides of the wheel well. That's probably all the volume that's required to make the truck reach my points of destination.

I like the flo n go idea as a backup but I hate the idea of unsecured fuel in the bed, in plastic containers, with poor ventilation.

Someone made a caddy tank for in the bed over the wheel hump. I also think there was a tank where the spare tire goes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

http://titanfueltanks.com/titan-sidekick-15-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On 6/28/2020 at 2:19 PM, J A K said:

They have a 28.3 gallon tank for the 1500's, it is only available in the Regular Cab with the 8 foot bed.  Don't now if it will fit in any of the others.

John K

You may be able to get it to fit if you moved the fuel tank crossover.  We just pulled the 28 gal tank out of my regular cab to do a short bed conversion.  We had to go with the smaller crew cab tank and move the crossover towards the engine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...