Torque converter problems

So i just recently started to get this somewhat vibrating noice in between 1500 amd 2000 RPMS and was doing some research and found out that it might be my torque converter going out. Than i seen some sort of lubricant called SHUDDER FIXX and was just curious if any one has tried it? Also if youve replaced your torque converte, mind giving me a ball range price on what you guys paid? Thanks in advance

So i just recently started to get this somewhat vibrating noice in between 1500 amd 2000 RPMS and was doing some research and found out that it might be my torque converter going out. Than i seen some sort of lubricant called SHUDDER FIXX and was just curious if any one has tried it? Also if youve replaced your torque converte, mind giving me a ball range price on what you guys paid? Thanks in advance
What year? Engine? Trans?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but get it checked out ASAP if you haven't already. I have a '14 5.3L that started having shuddering issues. Stopped by my local mechanic and had him test ride with me with the truck hooked up to a computer. Diagnosed that it was likely bad torque converter as well as separately that there were misses - likely due to carbon build-up. (Plugs and wires were just recently replaced as it was coming due)

I've got a pretty good relationship with him, so I left it with him to clean out the carbon and then take it to the dealer for the torque converter as it was still under the 5yr/100K power train warranty. Stopped by his shop today and heard that the dealer was going to have to re-build the transmission. I'm guessing the torque converter shat metal bits into the fluid and chewed everything else up.  TL:DR - I'm getting the transmission rebuilt under warranty with like 1200miles left on the 5yr/100,000.  

• Like 1

Late to the party, but get it checked out ASAP if you haven't already. I have a '14 5.3L that started having shuddering issues. Stopped by my local mechanic and had him test ride with me with the truck hooked up to a computer. Diagnosed that it was likely bad torque converter as well as separately that there were misses - likely due to carbon build-up. (Plugs and wires were just recently replaced as it was coming due)

I've got a pretty good relationship with him, so I left it with him to clean out the carbon and then take it to the dealer for the torque converter as it was still under the 5yr/100K power train warranty. Stopped by his shop today and heard that the dealer was going to have to re-build the transmission. I'm guessing the torque converter shat metal bits into the fluid and chewed everything else up.  TL:DR - I'm getting the transmission rebuilt under warranty with like 1200miles left on the 5yr/100,000.  

Damm good thing you still have warranty lol! I put that shudder fixx stuff in my truck and has been driving real smooth!! Im still thinking about replacing my torque converter but with a higher stall. Would you know anything about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, sorry no. I actually had to look up what you were referring to. I do know that there is a TSB out for 15-18 torque converters. Basically implying that torque converter failure is a known issue. From memory the recommendation is to not replace the torque converter at this time as it will not necessarily fix the problem. Service techs are supposed to flush the entire system three times. Apparently they are expecting a fix sometime first quarter of 2019. Anecdotally, I've heard that the the fluid that has been used is the issue. Either way I would seriously suggest getting it check at a reputable shop and if there is an issue getting the truck to a dealer if it is under warranty. 

• Like 1

Lol, sorry no. I actually had to look up what you were referring to. I do know that there is a TSB out for 15-18 torque converters. Basically implying that torque converter failure is a known issue. From memory the recommendation is to not replace the torque converter at this time as it will not necessarily fix the problem. Service techs are supposed to flush the entire system three times. Apparently they are expecting a fix sometime first quarter of 2019. Anecdotally, I've heard that the the fluid that has been used is the issue. Either way I would seriously suggest getting it check at a reputable shop and if there is an issue getting the truck to a dealer if it is under warranty. 
You're talking about the 8 speed here that has fluid issue causing shudder and vibration.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Fishbait said:

I had my converter replaced for the shudder at 37k on 08-2016 in my 2015 8 speed. I am at 100,300 miles and the shudder is back.:sigh: Should have bought a 2018 with all the end of year deals going on.

From what I understand, some of the 2018 trucks are having the same problem. I know that doesn’t help you but not sure if I’d want to go through that all over or cross my fingers and hope I got a good one. I’m wondering if the new 10 speed could be fitted into the 18 ?

3 hours ago, Fishbait said:

I had my converter replaced for the shudder at 37k on 08-2016 in my 2015 8 speed. I am at 100,300 miles and the shudder is back.:sigh: Should have bought a 2018 with all the end of year deals going on.

I’m sure those deals are still available.  The Chevy dealerships that I drive by regularly are still loaded with 2018 trucks on the lot.

• 7 months later...

I have the exact same issue with a 2018 Sierra I just bought! The Converter!.  Truck shook from day 1. dumb me listened to the sales jerk at Starling Buick in Venice Fl, saying it just needs breaking in.

Took me a month to get a service appointment but its in the shop now with 3000 miles on it and they are replacing the converter tomorrow they say and pick it up tomorrow.

Sounds like we all got a LEMON when we bought the GMC !!  I may be stuck with this for the moment but will get rid of it ASAP !

DONT GO WITH A GMC OR STARLING BUICK OF VENIC since they knew this was a shit truck from the get go!!. 

• Like 2

I have the exact same issue with a 2018 Sierra I just bought! The Converter!.  Truck shook from day 1. dumb me listened to the sales jerk at Starling Buick in Venice Fl, saying it just needs breaking in.

Took me a month to get a service appointment but its in the shop now with 3000 miles on it and they are replacing the converter tomorrow they say and pick it up tomorrow.

Sounds like we all got a LEMON when we bought the GMC !!  I may be stuck with this for the moment but will get rid of it ASAP !

DONT GO WITH A GMC OR STARLING BUICK OF VENIC since they knew this was a shit truck from the get go!!. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with my 2017 2500 He Sierra  6.0.  They told me the TBS 3 flush deal.  I have 53k miles, already replaced the entire rear end and now the tranny is looking bad.  I don't tow a thing with this truck, just a few bundle of shingkes in the bed on occasion.  You'd think an HD could handle that.  I'm taking truck in next Monday.  I'll let you know what I find out.  All these issues by 45,000, finally got a mechanic to ride with me at 53,000.  I'm starting to smell lemons.