Where's the PCV Valve? 2015 5.3L

19 minutes ago, SS502 said:

When you get all done can you post pictures? I’ve already seen your other pics and you were going to add more to your setup. Just would like to see the complete setup when you’re done if you don’t mind showing it.

I'm working on it this weekend. I have a smaller centrafugal separator off a small motorcycle, gonna try it out and see how it works , but I think the larger xr600 unit would be more appropriate. I will post pix up soon. so far my valve cover vent filter is doing its job.. but yes all the nastyness if straight from the pcv port.. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

got it mounted in a decent spot, next to hook up lines.

555.jpg

Making great progress! That’s where mine is being moved to. I live in a very warm weather climate so not concerned about utilizing engine heat to counter the condensation some people deal with.

9A28DA15-D51C-4E0D-96E9-FD3034013D52.jpeg

• Like 1

ok I'm finished, total cost on the PCV catch filter is $8 for cyclone trap + $10 for braided  tubing+ $2.50 brass drain plug = $22.50 

drove 15 miles and the drain hose is coated with oil so i can see the trap is working.. 

anyone interested the PCV separator is off a 1981 c70 Honda Passport , ebay motors for the part...

I have to say the valve covers work well on thier own, very little oil is captured by my secondary cyclone trap, I might go back to stock connection to the airbox just to clean things up under the hood. I'm sure if It was under boost or lots of high revving I would see more oil passing through the valve covers. but stock seems alright from what I see

IMG-2889.JPG

IMG-2890 (1).JPG

IMG-2889.JPG

Edited by flyingfool
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, flyingfool said:

ok I'm finished, total cost on the PCV catch filter is $8 for cyclone trap + $10 for braided  tubing+ $2.50 brass drain plug = $22.50 

drove 15 miles and the drain hose is coated with oil so i can see the trap is working.. 

anyone interested the PCV separator is off a 1981 c70 Honda Passport , ebay motors for the part...

I have to say the valve covers work well on thier own, very little oil is captured by my secondary cyclone trap, I might go back to stock connection to the airbox just to clean things up under the hood. I'm sure if It was under boost or lots of high revving I would see more oil passing through the valve covers. but stock seems alright from what I see

IMG-2889.JPG

IMG-2890 (1).JPG

IMG-2889.JPG

Thank you for the update!

• 1 year later...

I am interested in how the cyclone-style PCV trap ("catch can") works considering the change in application motor.  As most of you know PCV stands for "positive crankcase ventilation", which means the flow should be inwards of filtered air through the valve covers and out through the PCV valve into the manifold.

So, unless there is excessive blow-by, there shouldn't be much, if any, clean side vapor getting into the intake.  The problems arise after engine shutdown and also temporarily during hard acceleration (ie. low manifold vacuum combines with high cylinder pressure causing blow-by).  The shutdown vapors should be light, gasoline-type.  During hard acceleration, I am assuming the catch can will work, but . . . the cyclone style trap may not have the flow, due to low manifold vacuum to get good separation.  Cyclone traps (from my engineering experience) are very sensitive to flow rate to get good trapping.  Not sure how drastic the flow changes on the GM PCV system.  BMW uses a complex diaphragm vacuum regulator with their cyclone oil separator.

Anyone know if there regulation mechanism (and if it really works) in the GM PCV valve to account for the difference between high and low manifold vacuum levels (or is it simply a check valve+orifice)?

Also, can anyone recommend a no frills (not for looks) but highly-effective catch can kit for the 2015 5.3L?  I can definitely see the utility in the traditional catch can, but I am not ready to jump to the cyclone separator trap (yet!).

Edited by Outdoors_Guy_88
more information added about cyclone separators