Block heater in 2019s?

MikeNH

Does anyone have a block heater installed? I downloaded a manual for the 2019s and instead of the usual crappy cord hanging from the grill, the manual indicates that there will be a power port in the lower bumper you connect the power cord to. I haven't found a great photo of it yet but you can make out the door in some pics I found from a random dealer in Alberta where block heaters are probably real common. Anyone have a good picture of the connector? Toyota in Canada has done this for years so it's nice to see GM catch on.

Does anyone have a block heater installed? I downloaded a manual for the 2019s and instead of the usual crappy cord hanging from the grill, the manual indicates that there will be a power port in the lower bumper you connect the power cord to. I haven't found a great photo of it yet but you can make out the door in some pics I found from a random dealer in Alberta where block heaters are probably real common. Anyone have a good picture of the connector? Toyota in Canada has done this for years so it's nice to see GM catch on.
I have seen this.. I don't have any pictures, but I'll try and get one and post it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have seen this.. I don't have any pictures, but I'll try and get one and post it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here is the photo from the user's manual.daf6c2bdb76808f0ab97011cf326148c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/14/2018 at 3:32 PM, KA0S said:

Here is the photo from the user's manual.daf6c2bdb76808f0ab97011cf326148c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

That illustration doesn't look anything like my truck.  My port is between the left fog light and tow hook.

I have this, and have had to use it many times already (damn cold LOL)

Location is as shown in the pictures above. I find it cheaply made (plastic housing / cold weather) I am just waiting for it to crack or break.

I actually removed the flap as it was annoying to open and close, you need a tool or something you are not doing it with your fingers and really not in the cold. 

But I love the idea behind it. 

9 hours ago, Taz56 said:

I have this, and have had to use it many times already (damn cold LOL)

Location is as shown in the pictures above. I find it cheaply made (plastic housing / cold weather) I am just waiting for it to crack or break.

I actually removed the flap as it was annoying to open and close, you need a tool or something you are not doing it with your fingers and really not in the cold. 

But I love the idea behind it. 

The problem with removing the protective cover is that now snow and water can get in there and you won't be able to plug the cord in.  When I drove through Alberta last October the cover was pretty much covered with snow.

5 minutes ago, AlaskaErik said:

The problem with removing the protective cover is that now snow and water can get in there and you won't be able to plug the cord in.  When I drove through Alberta last October the cover was pretty much covered with snow.

The logic is sound, however it is not correct in this case.

There are two covers. I removed the outer cover that requires you to pry it open, be it with a screw driver or a butter knife LOL or whatever you use. There is then another cover that is on a spring that just flips open and closed very easily and protects the plug from the elements.

IMG_9934.jpg

IMG_9935.jpg

Just now, Taz56 said:

The logic is sound, however it is not correct in this case.

There are two covers. I removed the outer cover that requires you to pry it open, be it with a screw driver or a butter knife LOL or whatever you use. There is then another cover that is on a spring that just flips open and closed very easily and protects the plug from the elements.

That's all I would expect it to have. What does the other cover look like? 

12 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

That's all I would expect it to have. What does the other cover look like? 

This is what it looks like from the factory.

The red arrow is the outer cap I removed. 

Plug.png

• Like 1