2019 Motor Trend truck of the year

aha1987

44 minutes ago, Likarok said:

Again, didn't they pick the Honda Ridgeline last year! Or the Japanese El Camino as someone here calls it! haha.

MT does Not a lot of credibility IMO!

No.  They did not name the Honda Ridgeline Truck of the Year last year, or the year before, or the year before that.

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 1

I had a 2019 Ram as rental car; 4WD. It was definitely much nicer and comfortable inside than anything else. I’ll give them that and it rode nice. I did have few occasions where I flipped dial to gear and hit gas m, didn’t move, then jerked into gear.

7a1dd74eb7e1a2f25c2ed01731689aaf.jpg

I think aesthetically it’s pleasing and interests me but reliability concerns me. The new Chevy is growing just wish they had thought better of interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 10:05 AM, Aycock1987 said:

I agree. I just hate it when awards are given out on vehicles that you have no clue of its reliability and durability. From past experiences and track record.... the Ram has not proven either.

I am curious to see how the leather dash/interior holds up to the sun beating on it from the panoramic sunroof and front windshield.

This is not the old Ram this is the New Ram and reliability has been as good as Chevy for years. The better materials is a good thing instead of the plastic a lot of the Manufacturers  still go with and still charge more than the Ram apples to apples

6 hours ago, J HINKLEY said:

This is not the old Ram this is the New Ram and reliability has been as good as Chevy for years. The better materials is a good thing instead of the plastic a lot of the Manufacturers  still go with and still charge more than the Ram apples to apples

The new ram has had 13 recalls in its first year.  That doesn't include all the other known issues that aren't part of the recalls, such as poor air conditioning, various leaks, all sorts of infotainment issues that often prevent it from being used at all (they are telling people just to wait for them to come up with a fix for over a year).  Transmission shudders and jerking, brakes squealing, excessive wind noise/whistling, etc.  

They are very comfortable and well thought out cabins, but definitely having major reliability problems. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

The new ram has had 13 recalls in its first year.  That doesn't include all the other known issues that aren't part of the recalls, such as poor air conditioning, various leaks, all sorts of infotainment issues that often prevent it from being used at all (they are telling people just to wait for them to come up with a fix for over a year).  Transmission shudders and jerking, brakes squealing, excessive wind noise/whistling, etc.  

They are very comfortable and well thought out cabins, but definitely having major reliability problems. 

That pretty much explains my sierra ownership since 2014 to be honest lol.

-Poor air conditioning, check

-Infotainment issues like blank screens and hangups, check

-transmission shudder and overall poor driveability a double to quadruple check, nothing drives worse then this god damn 6 speed, i don't want to go test drive anything because i will most likely buy on the spot once i see how something smooth drives again.

Overall it has still been a decent truck and exterior looks while starting to age, still looks relatively good imo. Much better than anything ford currently makes other then the Raptor or top end model Rams.

14 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

15 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

From my research reliability on average on gmc and chev trucks is 3.5 3.6 out of 5 and Ram is a little higher example edmonds, Jd powers and many other websites. 56 recalls Gmc and Chevy. 39 for Ram. Do not take my word look it up. I am a Gm guy but lets be real. The old Ram is no longer. The new Ram is very impressive 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J HINKLEY said:

From my research reliability on average on gmc and chev trucks is 3.5 3.6 out of 5 and Ram is a little higher example edmonds, Jd powers and many other websites. 56 recalls Gmc and Chevy. 39 for Ram. Do not take my word look it up. I am a Gm guy but lets be real. The old Ram is no longer. The new Ram is very impressive 

Many of those sites use the jd power rating (ie us news, etc), consumer reports ranks them all poorly.  While the previous generation ram was definitely improved on reliability by the time the new model came out, the new one has had a ton of problems. You can also check car complaints to see reported issues.  For the new models, the ram has had way more recalls and many of them are for major issues.  

The new gm probably isn't the most reliable vehicle, none of the American brands really are, but its issues have been much more minor overall and has only had 1 or 2 recalls vs the 13 for ram. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 11:38 AM, J HINKLEY said:

That probably takes into account the last gen Ram, which is still on sale as the "classic" or something. Those have been very reliable since they switched to the ZF 8-speed and considering they've been in production over a decade, all the bugs have been worked out. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 12:14 PM, Mikedfw said:

Many of those sites use the jd power rating (ie us news, etc), consumer reports ranks them all poorly.  While the previous generation ram was definitely improved on reliability by the time the new model came out, the new one has had a ton of problems. You can also check car complaints to see reported issues.  For the new models, the ram has had way more recalls and many of them are for major issues.  

The new gm probably isn't the most reliable vehicle, none of the American brands really are, but its issues have been much more minor overall and has only had 1 or 2 recalls vs the 13 for ram. 

I was looking at one site (may have been the same one you're referencing, I can't remember) that had a few issues that made me not trust it:

- Supposedly there are 17 different trucks on the market, though I couldn't get a full list to see what all they included. I was only able to find 5 of the top 7.

- They ranked those trucks from 1st (most reliable) to 7th despite giving them all an identical score of 3.5 out of 5.

- The Ram was ranked first, Nissan was ranked 2nd and Toyota was ranked 6th.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I was looking at one site (may have been the same one you're referencing, I can't remember) that had a few issues that made me not trust it:

- Supposedly there are 17 different trucks on the market, though I couldn't get a full list to see what all they included. I was only able to find 5 of the top 7.

- They ranked those trucks from 1st (most reliable) to 7th despite giving them all an identical score of 3.5 out of 5.

- The Ram was ranked first, Nissan was ranked 2nd and Toyota was ranked 6th.

Not sure which one that is but I definitely wouldn't trust that. Ram first and toyota last?  No way. 

• Like 1