trailer backup lights

j-ten-ner

I'm thinking about to install backup lights on my boat trailer.

Since the back of the trailer will dip into the water when launching the boat, I'm looking for water proof lights. Preferable LED.

Can you recommend any?

My trailer is equipped with surge brakes. When I put the truck in reverse, it'll trigger a solenoid which is opening a bypass for the brake fluid so that the brakes won't lock up.

My thought is to tap the backup lights into the wire for the solenoid. The question is, will that have an impact on the performance of the solenoid?

Excuse my ignorance, but that would be a parallel circuit, right?

Also, I'd have to tap in a wire for each light separately. I can't just run one wire to both of the backup lights because that would be a series circuit and impact the output of the lights, right?

Maybe someone can help me to clarify that.

I don't want to just hack-job the lights on the trailer.

Thx.

so long

j-ten-ner

You're correct that wiring in reverse lights would be in parallel, and therefore not have any effect on your reverse solenoid on the trailer. If you're going LED, you can run one wire from the front of the trailer to the rear, and split it to both lights, as even a single 18gauge (though bigger is better) wire can handle about 10 amps, and a pair of those LED pods/ cubes only draw about 1-2 amps, depending on how big you go. As to where to get them, just search Amazon for a highly rated set and you should be good to go for less than $20 worth of lights.