Rear window leak

Demon

I picked the truck up from the dealership on Wednesday, they said the repair had been completed. We ran into a rainstorm last night and apparently they didn't fix the issue. Back to the dealership it goes. 

20181123_202246.jpg

Update: Has been 18 days at the dealership and still not fixed. Removed and resealed the rear window only to find out today that the whole window needs to be replaced now because it’s leaking at the sliding window top rail even though it was confirmed by the dealer that the window seal itself was leaking due to poor job by factory in applying sealant. May be another two weeks to get the window from the factory. Then they have to take the windshield out in order to replace the headliner. Doubt I buy another GM after this one. Don’t what I’d get into because it seems automotive quality is degrading to the level of the 1980’s again. 

I hand wash also, but use the want to soak the truck down first to remove any light dust.
Black is not great for auto car washes! LOL

Black is not great for any washes lol. I can draw swirl marks in my mind and they appear on the truck lol. I don’t even really touch it i foam cannon and power wash clay bar. I tried a ton of waxes and swirl removers. Best I have found is griots garage best of show wax really helps a lot to tone them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaychevy81 said:

Black is not great for any washes lol. I can draw swirl marks in my mind and they appear on the truck lol. I don’t even really touch it i foam cannon and power wash clay bar. I tried a ton of waxes and swirl removers. Best I have found is griots garage best of show wax really helps a lot to tone them down.

Lol, I’m finding out how much work a black vehicle is. Been doing a lot of research and it’s going to cost some money to get the paint corrected. Gonna do it myself since I don’t trust anyone else these days! ? Yes, the foam cannon and the two bucket wash method with grit guard is a must for dark finishes. But damn it looks good when clean. Thanks for the tip on Griots products. I use some of their products but have mainly used Zaino for years. I think Griots is just as good and is available at local parts store which is a big plus. Any recommendations on a good but cost effective DA polisher?

Lol, I’m finding out how much work a black vehicle is. Been doing a lot of research and it’s going to cost some money to get the paint corrected. Gonna do it myself since I don’t trust anyone else these days! [emoji38] Yes, the foam cannon and the two bucket wash method with grit guard is a must for dark finishes. But damn it looks good when clean. Thanks for the tip on Griots products. I use some of their products but have mainly used Zaino for years. I think Griots is just as good and is available at local parts store which is a big plus. Any recommendations on a good but cost effective DA polisher?

Yea I am learning myself lol I use the griots garage polisher 6in orbital sander Pep boys stocks there products. I have used it for 2 years now on my trucks jet skis boats never had an issue. In between a deep wax I use the griots garage spray on wax. I have to say the glass shine and feel lasts for a long time. Also I use chemical guys soap with hydrophobic. It don’t strip off the wax it’s the citrus Walmart sells it. So far it’s been a good system to keep it as new looking as I can.

1 hour ago, Jaychevy81 said:

I use Griot's Best of Show Detailer and Speed shine.

So far it is the best light dust remover I have used. Comes off super easy compared to Meguiars quik detailer.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:13 PM, JKD said:

Update: Has been 18 days at the dealership and still not fixed. Removed and resealed the rear window only to find out today that the whole window needs to be replaced now because it’s leaking at the sliding window top rail even though it was confirmed by the dealer that the window seal itself was leaking due to poor job by factory in applying sealant. May be another two weeks to get the window from the factory. Then they have to take the windshield out in order to replace the headliner. Doubt I buy another GM after this one. Don’t what I’d get into because it seems automotive quality is degrading to the level of the 1980’s again. 

This is the exact same thing I'm being told except that my dealership isn't telling me that it will be two weeks, they're saying it will be in at any time. 

22 hours ago, JKD said:

Lol, I’m finding out how much work a black vehicle is. Been doing a lot of research and it’s going to cost some money to get the paint corrected. Gonna do it myself since I don’t trust anyone else these days! ? Yes, the foam cannon and the two bucket wash method with grit guard is a must for dark finishes. But damn it looks good when clean. Thanks for the tip on Griots products. I use some of their products but have mainly used Zaino for years. I think Griots is just as good and is available at local parts store which is a big plus. Any recommendations on a good but cost effective DA polisher?

I use Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher for a few years now. I use Blackfire Products on my vehicles you can get them at www.Autogeek.com I gave up on the color black on vehicles a few years ago. Just to much work. Try putting a paint sealant on that will last longer than wax, then after paint sealant curing time then add some wax on top always seems to give my vehicles a great shine and long lasting wet look !

Back to window leak so the leak is from top rear passenger side or sliding window or both ?

Edited by Borntorun

2 hours ago, Borntorun said:

I use Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher for a few years now. I use Blackfire Products on my vehicles you can get them at www.Autogeek.com I gave up on the color black on vehicles a few years ago. Just to much work. Try putting a paint sealant on that will last longer than wax, then after paint sealant curing time then add some wax on top always seems to give my vehicles a great shine and long lasting wet look !

Back to window leak so the leak is from top rear passenger side or sliding window or both ?

Thanks! Was actually checking out that Porter Cable at Autogeeks night before last. They offer some pretty good “how to” videos as well. ??

Hi Guys

i have a 2019 GMC Sierra Denali

my rear window is leaking on the passenger side (a lot) and driver side ( little) 

leak seems to be coming from the top

emailed the dealer today, hope to get this in and completely fixed Monday.

will update

1 hour ago, TommyboyATL said:

Hi Guys

i have a 2019 GMC Sierra Denali

my rear window is leaking on the passenger side (a lot) and driver side ( little) 

leak seems to be coming from the top

emailed the dealer today, hope to get this in and completely fixed Monday.

will update

Thanks for sharing. Be prepared to wait a while since the parts are not readily available. I’m going on day 21 that my Denali has been out of service and at the dealership. Unfortunately, I believe my fears have been realized that this issue is more prevalent than not. GM has passed on a real engineering problem to its customers. Tommy, be sure to contact GM customer service to ensure the dealer works diligently to resolve this issue. I find using the chat session is best since you can save a copy on your computer. May come in handy later ?

• Like 1

My truck is on it's second trip to the dealership for the leaking window. The first time it was there for seven days, they said the problem was a bad window seal. The truck leaked again a couple days later when we hit some rain. I dropped it off again and they've had it for six days now. They are saying the window frame had micro cracks in it, their words. They haven't given me a timeline on repair this time. I like the truck but I'm seriously considering making them buy it back under the lemon law. By NC law once they've had it for a total of 20 days for the same problem the vehicle falls under the lemon law. Seeing other people having the same issue is giving me some serious reservations about keeping this truck. 

Call me crazy, I would be encouraged by the problem being a little more prevalent. They're forced to come up with a real resolution. I'm curious if the trucks with the problem were all built around the same time with a bad batch of frames, or if it's a problem with the process that installs the frame.

I hope so and that they have engineered a fix. I really like the truck. It’s truly heart breaking and infuriating to buy a vehicle and have to endure this process of discovery and repair which happens at a snail’s pace. Meanwhile, payments are being made for a vehicle that can’t be used. Then having to endure the embarrassing  comments from others, “you should have bought” a Ford or Toyota. As earlier stated by another member, this has completely ruined the ownership experience. If they’d give me another Denali as a loaner, couldn’t care how long it takes. Otherwise, either fix it now or give me a new truck GM.

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎30 at 11:17 AM, Jaychevy81 said:

Yea I am learning myself lol I use the griots garage polisher 6in orbital sander Pep boys stocks there products. I have used it for 2 years now on my trucks jet skis boats never had an issue. In between a deep wax I use the griots garage spray on wax. I have to say the glass shine and feel lasts for a long time. Also I use chemical guys soap with hydrophobic. It don’t strip off the wax it’s the citrus Walmart sells it. So far it’s been a good system to keep it as new looking as I can.

I've owned 3 Black vehicles including my current Silverado. And as sweet a black is (for 10 minutes) I'm never getting black again. Ordering my next truck in North Sky Blue.

• Like 1