Frame worry

tdgator

New poster, long time lurker.  I am really wanting to open up the wallet for a new High Country but the new frame has me worried.  I know bending problems can be avoided by lifting with wider pads, but shouldn't a frame be strong enough to withstand any lift regardless of pads?  No long term proof of reliability is keeping me away.  Valid concerns?  Am I just being paranoid?  Can someone with more knowledge than me help me out?  Thanks in advance.

New frame is heavily based on the Colorado / canyon midsize truck frame. I wouldn’t worry. GM has had plenty of time to engineer 1/2 ton frame from the Colorado frame.

3 hours ago, Camario said:

what happens when you need to change a flat? will the frame bend? lol. 

This is part of my concern.  I am going to have to bring it to the Chevy dealership for everything or risk damaging the frame?

48 minutes ago, tdgator said:

This is part of my concern.  I am going to have to bring it to the Chevy dealership for everything or risk damaging the frame?

I highly doubt it will bend the frame if you lift it yourself.  I have already lifted mine when I swapped out the tires and rims, using a 4 ton jack and had no issues at all.  As long as you lift from the lift points, you should be fine.

The bending as I understand it, is more from the lift rails (from being too narrow) pinching inside the frame.  Not from the weight being lifted.  I imagine the lift on the jack that comes with the truck is flat so the weight isn't on two very thin rails, thus distributing the weight.     

Edited by lrtexasman
  • Like 2