issue with melted housing box for Side Blind Zone Alert.

First post here and I wasn't quite sure where to post.  This isn't really troubleshooting because we know what is wrong, I'm mainly wanting to know if there are large scale issues regarding this and how do we get in touch with GMC about it as our mechanic isn't much help at this point other than charging $1100 to fix it. 

We bought a used 2015 GMC Yukon last year with 20k miles on it.  A month ago, the Side Blind Zone alert on the side mirrors came on and have stayed on permanently, even when the car is turned off.  Because of that, it drains our battery when the car is parked longer than 2-3 days.  I took it into the shop a couple of days ago and we find out that the box that houses the sensors, in the right rear quarter panel, had become detached and was dangling close to the exhaust pipe.  Because of this, it totally melted the box housing the sensors.  The mechanic tells us that the sensor box is only glued in and can become detached easily.   This is costing us $1100 to fix because the sensor is over $300, and then labor for the past 2 days to get it back in place. 

Is there a thread in here from others who have had this issue?  Is this a wide spread issue?  Should GMC pay to fix this and if so, what are my next steps?   

Thanks!

Contact GMC customer service. The number should be in your owners manual or on line manual if you don't have a hard copy. A quick Google search should also provide the number. With all the electronics on these vehicles I would suggest an extended warranty and I would purchase from an on line Dealer who will have better pricing. Try to stay with the GMEPP warranty. Sounds like the Dealer is screwing you on labor. Good luck.

12 hours ago, qwank said:

I usually see this happen after someone bumps the bumper and the bracket for the module breaks off. If it was glued on it's already been repaired once.  

Ditto. Almost always accident related or poor body shop repair.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi. I came on this forum for something else but I noticed your post regarding the melted housing box. I have a 16 suburban but with the same exact issue - i don't have the blind spot sensor but it is the connecting box to the rear parking sensors. I have no idea how it was affixed to begin with...I think it was just dangling there underneath the plastic, and finally I had a look one day and the thing had pretty much been melted to smithereens...so yeah, I've had the same problem.

I can't even tell how it was held in in the first place - there is nothing to attach it to.I've tried looking this part up online but can't find it anywhere. All it does is control the parking sensor, which I don't really need anyway and I'm sure not shelling out to get that fixed...

• 7 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 2:30 PM, love3guys said:

First post here and I wasn't quite sure where to post.  This isn't really troubleshooting because we know what is wrong, I'm mainly wanting to know if there are large scale issues regarding this and how do we get in touch with GMC about it as our mechanic isn't much help at this point other than charging $1100 to fix it. 

We bought a used 2015 GMC Yukon last year with 20k miles on it.  A month ago, the Side Blind Zone alert on the side mirrors came on and have stayed on permanently, even when the car is turned off.  Because of that, it drains our battery when the car is parked longer than 2-3 days.  I took it into the shop a couple of days ago and we find out that the box that houses the sensors, in the right rear quarter panel, had become detached and was dangling close to the exhaust pipe.  Because of this, it totally melted the box housing the sensors.  The mechanic tells us that the sensor box is only glued in and can become detached easily.   This is costing us $1100 to fix because the sensor is over $300, and then labor for the past 2 days to get it back in place. 

Is there a thread in here from others who have had this issue?  Is this a wide spread issue?  Should GMC pay to fix this and if so, what are my next steps?   

Thanks!

I have the same issue.  On a 2015 Yukon XL.  Part came unstuck or glued and burned up on the tale pipe. 

• 8 months later...

I purchased a used 2015 Yukon XL and noticed that the blind spot alert icons in the mirrors were only working intermittently. I found that the bracket for the passenger side radar module inside the right rear bumper corner had broken loose and the module was pointed upward instead of toward the rear bumper corner. The brackets seem to be heat welded in several places into the rear bumper plastic and I guess this one had vibrated loose over time. With some zip ties I was able to secure and align the bracket back into place, more or less, and now both sides are working correctly. The real fix would be to replace the entire rear bumper plastic assembly which I would guess to be well over $1000. 

• 5 months later...

I know this is old but I have the same issue. I must have purchased your old vehicle (joke). 2015 yukon with right rear  zip tied in place.

The message I see on the screen is: Service Side Detection System.

I replaced the blind spot sensor in the right rear but am still seeing the service message.

The coupling on the wiring harness is melted some where it was laying on the muffler. I managed to get the it apart but I don't see any problems.

Is there a fuse or something I should be checking?

For what it's worth, the left one seems to work as it vibrates the seat and puts arrows on the screen if a vehicle is on the left.

Additionally, the park assist doesn't work either. I was hoping I would find a problem in the melted harness connection to explain all of the issues.

Can someone please provide any ideas as to what to check next?

Is there something I can check with a multimeter?

• 7 months later...

Reading your posts I see I am not the only one with this issue.  I have had the same problem, I noticed the box hanging near/on the exhaust pipe and now have many electrical issues.  Has anyone had any luck getting assistance in paying for the repair?  Sounds like there are many 2015 Yukons/Suburbans with this same issue.  Thanks all,