New Advanced Trailer package for towing

dmatt13

I'm in the market for a new truck to tow a travel trailer.    Last year Ford enhanced their trailer towing packages and surround cameras.   While there are great discounts on 2018s out there, I'm really interested in the Advanced trailer package in the 2019 Silverado, and yes, I do really like the new design  :loser: .

It's not easy to find any real world comparisons to the two truck towing packages so has anyone got the new package on their '19?   Is it a big difference, especially the 360 cameras?   Thanks

if you are referring to the surround 360 camera, it isn't available when you get the towing cameras. I have a post on here asking for info also but didn't get much response. On the Denali you lose the HUD, rear view camera mirror and 360 camera when you add the towing package.

I am not sure how it compares to the ford, but I am curious. Maybe your thread will get more action. I am just disappointed with losing the technology package if you go towing cameras.

Edited by hurricanoday
can't spell

While I am not in the market for a half ton, I will be looking to upgrade next year when the HD’s are updated and there are a lot of areas that Chevy missed the mark with this new ‘19 that I’m hoping maybe they tweak before next year and this is one. 

The Max Tow Package is actually pretty legit...larger rear axle, bigger radiator, locking rear diff,  heavier rear springs, tuned suspension etc.  These are real life upgrades and not just a different axle ratio and a wiring harness. 

The fact that that you can’t get the trailing cameras and the other tech (360 camera, hud, dic, etc) together is very frustrating.  While I am used to large trailering mirrors on the HDs I would still like the option of the cameras and it would be a HUGE upgrade to the mirrors on the half tons that are crap when towing. 

Ford has been so far out in front of GM with their tech it’s embarrasing and this could have been GM’s chance to maybe have a leg up, if only for one year, but they decided to only catch up (if that even) after years of lagging behind. 

Thanks guys.   I'm not surprised that there isn't a lot of discussion on this new package as the 19s are just hitting the dealer's lots.  I didn't realize that you loss the cameras when you get the max trailer package......really doesn't make much sense at all!!    Getting all those upgrades to the rear end with the Max Tow is a huge benefit for towing heavier loads so I will be getting that for sure.   Would really like the cameras for better all around viewing of the trailer though.   

I think advanced Advanced Trailering Package just adds the auto park brake so the truck holds position, and some different camera views and trailer set up apps?  MAX trailer package is an entirely different thing.. 3.42 gears, etc? 

this is what my truck has.. 

• Trailer brake controller, integrated $275.00
  • Advanced Trailering Package $240.00

I was pretty disappointed to see how limiting the max trailering package is with the rest of the trims and options.  After careful evaluation I decided it wasn’t worth it to me for my needs compared to the other features I would give up. 

The lower gears would be nice but with the 10speed trans having extra low gears and 6.2L the truck has exceptional pulling power.  I suspect that the larger radiator (well all these changes really) has something to do with the conditions of the SAE standard towing test with its extreme AZ heat which I won’t see much of in Montana.  Speaking of  I wouldn’t be surprised if the obnoxiously small gas tank (and no option for a larger one) isn’t really due to the extra payload limits of this SAE towing test. 

Perhaps with at most some helper air springs to match up with the max trailering heavy springs my AT4 should be absolutely fine towing 100% of its 9k rating. 

I am not planning to tow 12000 lbs and if I was I would look hard at a 2500HD.  I do see myself pulling 7-8k lbs depending on what fluids are in the 25’ travel trailer. In my opinion the fact that the frame and brakes are capable of the 12k capacity justs indicates that the factory limits are exceptionally reasonable for what I am planning to pull.