3.0l duramax Numbers leaked

The Cummins XD is actually a giant turd. Gets horrible fuel economy and is terribly underpowered for its displacement. The gas 5.6 XD outperforms the Cummins in every metric. There is a reason Dodge shelved that engine years ago when Cummins made it for the 1/2 ton Ram.

Not to mention crap reliability.

It’s a great engine if frequent depowering/limp mode and constant dealer reflashes are your thing...

A Cummins diesel should be a simple, proven inline-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

I honestly just think Nissan made the XD as heavy as they could to make the GVWR meet the threshold to be exempt from government fuel economy ratings like the heavy duty trucks. That way they could mask the poor fuel economy of the 5.0 but still tug at the hearts of Cummins loyalists based on the name itself. It sounded cool in theory. A cummins v8. But i guess there is a reason Cummins' bread and butter is a straight 6.

They are not tugging at any hearts.  Their sales ratings are piss poor.

1 hour ago, pronstar said:

Not to mention crap reliability.

It’s a great engine if frequent depowering/limp mode and constant dealer reflashes are your thing...

A Cummins diesel should be a simple, proven inline-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cummins makes plenty of engines that are not inline 6....

1 hour ago, Saskquatch said:

Why is GM being so secretive about this engine? Do they think it will build hype? Anyone with half a brain will research and make an informed decision before purchasing, but this isnt possible with this engine. 

FAIL.

welcome to every new engine ever released.

2 hours ago, Saskquatch said:

Why is GM being so secretive about this engine? Do they think it will build hype? Anyone with half a brain will research and make an informed decision before purchasing, but this isnt possible with this engine. 

FAIL.

My guess is it's not ready for release yet. They don't want you holding out for it (which is what I'm doing). But even I've thought about just settling for the 5.3

I actually had a 2017 Ram Eco Diesel until 2 weeks ago when I bought my current truck.

Mine had the GDE tune wich brought it up to approximately 270 HP and around 480 lbs/ft torque.  Besides that the GDE disabled the EGR system (keeps the oil and intake tract clean).  I agree that they (all small diesel powered trucks) are made for economy not towing as the Hemi will out-tow the EcoDiesel, same goes for GM or Ford.  My Ram averaged easily mid to upper 20s MPG.  Why did I sell it...…...always had some long term reliability concerns although the truck ran great.  Besides that I only lost about 1K when I traded it after 5 month and 10K miles (and I do like the Denali much better).

If you really want to tow you buy a GM 6.2 or a Ford 3.5 EB. I had them all and the 3.5 EB is a tow monster (at the cost of a lot of fuel.  The best towing truck I ever owned was a Ram 2500 CTD (had 5.9 and 6.7).  With that said, I find it silly how the Big Three compete for the highest tow rating.  IMO if you want to tow 10K or more on a regular basis you need a 3/4 Ton truck.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:06 AM, newdude said:

I wouldn't call it a pain honestly.  I've only filled my DEF tank 3 times in that 23000 miles.  Plus the Colorado and 1/2 ton trucks have the filler in the gas door unlike the HD which has it under the hood.   

Not to get off subject of the Duramax but on my Cruze diesel I only filled my 5 gallon DEF tank three times in the 68k miles I have on the vehicle. So for me it isn't a major cost factor.  DEF at the truck stop pump here is $2.05 a gallon.

I see any additional new engine as a welcome thing.  These forums are filled with years of posts wishing for a small diesel for maximum fuel economy.   When it looks like we're about to get one, the whining starts about some thing or another.  It's true, we aren't at the point in technology that we can have a small diesel in a 6000lb truck gets 30 mpg, turn in a E.T. slip of 12.0 secs/115 mph, and can make a "half ton" pickup tow 10,000 lbs up a 100% grade at 80 mph.  That'd be cool, not that I need to tow 10,000 lbs up a 100% grade at 80 mph or get a 6000 lb truck going 115 mph,  but it would be a cool truck.  If I want to go 12.0/115 mph, I would get in a new muscle car.  If I wanted to tow 10,000 lbs, I would not use a "half ton" pickup nor muscle car.

Maybe we'll someday we'll see a "hybrid" or really an automotive version of a Electromotive Diesel. Probably happen in a big rig, if it happened.  That might get a half ton to 10,000 lbs tow with a relatively low E.T. too.

Yup, pay an extra $4k to spend $5 less per week to drive the diesel. It will only take you 800 weeks or 15.38 years to pay off that option! Sign me up, I can't wait for the DEF/aftertreatment issues, engine de-rates and downtime that come with modern clean diesels. I own many new Class 8 diesels, they spend more time getting fixed than they do working. I wouldn't buy the "ecodiesel" if I got a $2,000 credit to choose it. 

Archived