3.0l duramax Numbers leaked

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

So how much does the constant purchase of DEF add to the cost of ownership on a diesel?

How far will 2.5 Gallons of DEF go? A couple of tanks or more?

Going off my experience with my Colorado, 7000-8000 miles per 5 gallons.  2011-2016 HD trucks 4500-6000 miles per 5 gallons.  The tank on the Colorado and the 1500 Silverado is 5.3 gallons.  2017+up HD is 7 gallons. 

All new deliveries come with a full tank, filled by the dealer at delivery. 

Dealers retail a 2.5 gallon jug for $22, but DEF can be had for $2-3/gallon at truck stops. 

One concern with bulk DEF is quality.  DEF also has a shelf life.  If stored under 86 degrees, its good for up to 2 years un-opened.  The hotter it gets, the lower the shelf life.    

1 minute ago, Sierra Dan said:

So not Terribly Expensive it sounds.

Just a pain to have to purchase and use.

Too bad there is no workaround other than buying an older diesel truck.

I wouldn't call it a pain honestly.  I've only filled my DEF tank 3 times in that 23000 miles.  Plus the Colorado and 1/2 ton trucks have the filler in the gas door unlike the HD which has it under the hood.   

I would assume that the HD guys go through it much faster due to less MPG and larger displacement.

Is there scented DEF out there? Seems like I have been behind some diesel trucks that has a grape smell LOL

Sorry but 7800 lb towing from 450 ft of torque is weak wanna be Louisiana hot sauce. Heck the ole 420lb of torque eco diesel was around 9k and this was the old model.  If this is true though I can see GM doing it to preserve the ole gm hierarchy and that the 5.3 is the undisputed 2nd most power gm truck engine. 

12 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Only time will tell when the official ratings come out.  To me if you want a reliable 1/2 ton diesel the Nissan would get my vote due to it having a Cummins in it.  Not sure about the rest of the truck but the engine would be bullet proof.  It is 310hp and 555lb-ft torque.  Not trying to sell one but has anyone tried to build a Titan?  So many different options and configurations. GM could take a lesson from this.  Kind of a confusing mess but then you can pick or choose and not have to settle for a package you don't want just to get an option only in that package so to speak.

Torque: 555 lb-ft
MSRP: From $46,450
Towing capacity: 12,030 to 12,310 lbs
Transmission: 6-speed automatic
Bed length: 78 to 79.2″
Payload: 1,850 to 1,975 lbs

The Cummins XD is actually a giant turd. Gets horrible fuel economy and is terribly underpowered for its displacement. The gas 5.6 XD outperforms the Cummins in every metric. There is a reason Dodge shelved that engine years ago when Cummins made it for the 1/2 ton Ram.

the biggest problem with the Titan is its weight.  

First it was we are bringing out a bigger truck for more then what your half ton can handle now 

Then it was ohh by the way we tow and payload about the same as any other half ton. 

11 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

The 3.0 Diesel is clearly not made for towing, but rather fuel economy.

it can tow, but it's a matter of what a 1/2 ton truck can tow SAFELY. 

4 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

the biggest problem with the Titan is its weight.  

First it was we are bringing out a bigger truck for more then what your half ton can handle now 

Then it was ohh by the way we tow and payload about the same as any other half ton. 

I honestly just think Nissan made the XD as heavy as they could to make the GVWR meet the threshold to be exempt from government fuel economy ratings like the heavy duty trucks. That way they could mask the poor fuel economy of the 5.0 but still tug at the hearts of Cummins loyalists based on the name itself. It sounded cool in theory. A cummins v8. But i guess there is a reason Cummins' bread and butter is a straight 6.

New Ranger with 2.3 turbo rated to tow up to 7500. Again if the 7700 numbers are true in the GM 3.0 I shall call it pathetic. Weak sauce. And don’t give me safely crap. 

Why is GM being so secretive about this engine? Do they think it will build hype? Anyone with half a brain will research and make an informed decision before purchasing, but this isnt possible with this engine. 

FAIL.

Archived