Who Wears It Better? Snorkels Are This Year's Fall Fashion

Gorehamj

tacoma trd pro desert air intake adder from config.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-26-2018

The new Bison is a very cool option for those already considering a new Colorado ZR2. The skidplates alone make the truck attractive and the bumpers with winch area and recovery hooks are easy to like. However, the really defining look of the new Bison seems to be the aftermarket snorkel that American Expedition Vehicles will sell as a kit. Just this week we realized that in some areas of the U.S. Toyota offers a factory (or dealer) installed TRD Desert Air Intake package for Tacoma TRD Pros. 

Tacoma TRD pro snorkel 2019.jpg

The package has a cost of $725 and is available in only certain zip codes. Unlike the ZR2 Bison's $459 snorkel kit, Toyota is offering this one installed. Considering the time to do the install, it seems like a fairly equivalent deal. We looked closely at the fine print of Toyota's desert air intake and noticed that the folks at Toyota say that if you take the truck to the automatic car wash it voids the factory warranty. That seems fair given that the rotating cloth may grab it and dislodge it. 

bison front driving.jpg

We realize the folks here lean GM's way, but who do you think wears the snorkel better? The TRD Pro or the ZR2 Bison?

Looks cool I guess if what you're going for is that "more off road capable look" and would be ok in the desert or in the mud, but the first time some idiot thinks they don't have to follow the turn around or drown axiom because they have the snorkel intake, the corporate lawyers will be saying to the marketers "what were you thinking?"

• Like 1

Looks cool I guess if what you're going for is that "more off road capable look" and would be ok in the desert or in the mud, but the first time some idiot thinks they don't have to follow the turn around or drown axiom because they have the snorkel intake, the corporate lawyers will be saying to the marketers "what were you thinking?"

No one in the desert runs a snorkel...just FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

Sorry, the snorkel was first and foremost designed to help with the desert dirt and silt that packs an air cleaner full. Later, people figured out if they seal up the electrics they can go very deep with the snorkel providing air to the engine when fully submerged. I think the Aussies came up with it first for their outback traveling.

Was that before WW II? Think late 30's, early 40's Dodge Power Wagon 1-3/4 ton troop carriers. Water proof electrics and a sealed inlet stove pipe/filter several feet above the cab. Tall enough it could run fully submerged with the driver standing in the seat. 

Lord are those things are ugly. :puke:

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Maybe if they were color matched it would help. The shape with all the bends trying to follow the lines of the truck makes them look like a cheap add on. If you actually need it, then have at it.

Sorry, the snorkel was first and foremost designed to help with the desert dirt and silt that packs an air cleaner full. Later, people figured out if they seal up the electrics they can go very deep with the snorkel providing air to the engine when fully submerged. I think the Aussies came up with it first for their outback traveling.

Go run the deserts in The American Southwest and tell me how many snorkels you see people running...normal folks or racers.

That was my stomping grounds for 15 years.

It may be different elsewhere in the world but not here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Totally agree with that,  it first started out for dust in the outback, the snorkel, that is. So it’s first use was for dusty conditions, not that it’s used in desert racing, have never seen a trophy truck with a snorkel, and to me, that’s the pinnacle of desert racing, and the Dakar vehicles. I think some of the Dakar Rally trucks have them, I think.