Our 2019 Silverado LTZ has gone ON THE RAILS & GM comments

Zane

2019_Chevy_Silverado_First_Drive_SHIPPED.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

9/17/18

What's new with GM-Trucks.com's new project 2019 Silverado? Well, it SHIPPED. As I type, our truck is chugging along the Midwest United States via train. It's en route to a CXS Rail Yard in Selkirk, New York just barely south of Albany. Best yet, it's scheduled to arrive in two days (This Wednesday). Selkirk is only a brisk 3.5 hour drive from our dealer, so once it arrives at the yard delivery could be only a few days away. 

Our dealer gives the chances of us taking delivery next week as pretty high, but as we've learned, who knows what delays may happen.  

What happened to our truck that delayed it at the factory for over a month after production? It sounds like the windshield was replaced. We were offered an interview with Chief Engineer Tim Asoksis but that never materialized. Eventually we were given a statement from Tim that read in part:

The launch of the new Silverado/Sierra at Fort Wayne is going exceptionally well. We are ahead of our key launch metrics and quality targets for the next-gen truck launch, and your truck is an example of the strict quality-control process we have in place.

With any launch, there are challenges as you ramp up both the plant and the supply base. To minimize this on Silverado, we have implemented a staggered launch. As you know, we are currently producing only crew cab V-8 models and will introduce other engines and cab configurations later this fall.

What you might not know is we are performing quality audits on every single truck built, often auditing the same truck multiple times. We have had up to 300 people dedicated to this process at Fort Wayne Assembly, and the team will not ship a truck to a customer until it’s perfect. 

A great example of this process is the first windshields delivered to Fort Wayne did not meet our expectations.   We worked with the supplier to rapidly fix and expedite defect-free windshields while repairing any vehicles subject to the issue.

We are making great progress bringing the line up to speed and delivering great trucks from the Fort Wayne Assembly Plant. 

Tim Asoklis

Chief Engineer

Hopefully our next update in this saga is that we're on our way to the dealership. Wish us and our truck luck. 

• Zane changed the title to Our 2019 Silverado LTZ has gone ON THE RAILS & GM comments

I know in our line of work, an error caught in house is Far better than the customer catching it when they receive product.

So in this case Kudos to GM for taking care of the issue before the consumer and dealer do!

Thanks for the update Zane! :thumbs:

On 9/17/2018 at 3:20 PM, Zane said:

2019_Chevy_Silverado_First_Drive_SHIPPED.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

9/17/18

What's new with GM-Trucks.com's new project 2019 Silverado? Well, it SHIPPED. As I type, our truck is chugging along the Midwest United States via train. It's en route to a CXS Rail Yard in Selkirk, New York just barely south of Albany. Best yet, it's scheduled to arrive in two days (This Wednesday). Selkirk is only a brisk 3.5 hour drive from our dealer, so once it arrives at the yard delivery could be only a few days away. 

Our dealer gives the chances of us taking delivery next week as pretty high, but as we've learned, who knows what delays may happen.  

What happened to our truck that delayed it at the factory for over a month after production? It sounds like the windshield was replaced. We were offered an interview with Chief Engineer Tim Asoksis but that never materialized. Eventually we were given a statement from Tim that read in part:

Hopefully our next update in this saga is that we're on our way to the dealership. Wish us and our truck luck. 

Good Luck!  My 2019 has been sitting waiting for transport for 3 weeks now and it is only a 3 hour drive away!!!

1 hour ago, Nargg said:

On a trip through Kansas City last weekend (attending the American Royal BBQ Event, dang am I stuffed!) I saw two new GMC Denali in separate occasions.  Easy to spot with that double tailgate.

Ahhh,,, yesss….   The American Royal BBQ. :drool:

Staple of KC here my whole life.

I wish they still held it down at the Royal, but the event outgrew the space so it had to be moved to Kansas Speedway.

As far as the 2019 Denali, do not forget the Mack Truck Grille.

Hard to avoid spotting the front end as well :thumbs:

About time they start checking what they're selling!

Too little too late for me. My '07 Silverado arrived on the lot with the passenger side trim falling off the side of the truck, and the brakes pulsating so bad it just about caused kidney damage and knocked my fillings out. Quite the feat with just 40 miles on the clock ... :sick:

Edited by Jsdirt

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...