2017-2019 Gas or Diesel

Morning,

I am trying to make an educated decision concerning buying a new truck. I  am looking at a 2500-3500 Silverado 2017-18...   I was sold on the 6.6 Diesel but to be honest the price is holding me back.  I have found a few deals and this months incentives are fabulous.  BUT that is not the question.

The question is I'd like to hear from owners who have the 6.0 Gas version and the 6.6 Diesel. How do your trucks preform?  Mainly the Gas because I have no doubt the Diesel is a Beast.  But with a 10k higher price....   and about .40c a gallon more for fuel plus Def....  and Maint.  What type of mileage are you Gas owners getting under towing conditions?  I will be towing about 13k loaded. Even though not near as powerful does the 6.0 give good overall performance to your needs?  Longevity?

Thanks I really appreciate actual owners thoughts and experiences.

DS

Keith M  SW Ohio

The 6.0L gasser is a GREAT motor, very reliable, and makes plenty of power. You won’t win any street races, but that’s not what it’s for. 

Now if your towing every day, go diesel. But if you’re towing as weekend warrior, the gasser will keep you satisfied while towing. 

As a daily driver, it’s thirsty, so be prepared for that. 

I had a 99 with the 6.0 in it and had very few problems from it and it would tow fine unless you got into some hills and then you needed to let a small block do what small blocks do and that is rev and look for gas.  I didn't have any real problems with mine got 186,000 miles out of it, traded it for an 11 Duramax and oh man the difference!!  It would pull the same roads with cruise set and never back down, yes maintance was higher but I think that if I wanted to do some of the small stuff, oil changes, fuel filter changes it would have helped keep the cost down but Ive gotten older and it is just easier for me to trust the guys I know at the dealership to take care of it for me.  Now that I have a L5P time will tell but so far this one is the best yet!!!  If you are worried about cost of repairs then stick with the 6.0, but if you can save $10,000 by the time you get to 100,000 miles and need to start paying then you should be ok, the worst problem you here about is the CP4 failure and its replacement cost runs about $10,000 so that is where I set my truck repair savings to be, and this is just my thoughts on it.  On my 99 truck it took 10 years to go 186,000 on my 11 truck it took 6 years to get to 168,000.  :jester:

2 hours ago, dodge stomper said:

Morning,

I am trying to make an educated decision concerning buying a new truck. I  am looking at a 2500-3500 Silverado 2017-18...   I was sold on the 6.6 Diesel but to be honest the price is holding me back.  I have found a few deals and this months incentives are fabulous.  BUT that is not the question.

The question is I'd like to hear from owners who have the 6.0 Gas version and the 6.6 Diesel. How do your trucks preform?  Mainly the Gas because I have no doubt the Diesel is a Beast.  But with a 10k higher price....   and about .40c a gallon more for fuel plus Def....  and Maint.  What type of mileage are you Gas owners getting under towing conditions?  I will be towing about 13k loaded. Even though not near as powerful does the 6.0 give good overall performance to your needs?  Longevity?

DS

Keith M  SW Ohio

Keith,

You might want to post this in the dedicated HD truck section.

Good luck! :thumbs:

1 hour ago, doverarjim said:

I had a 99 with the 6.0 in it and had very few problems from it and it would tow fine unless you got into some hills and then you needed to let a small block do what small blocks do and that is rev and look for gas.  I didn't have any real problems with mine got 186,000 miles out of it, traded it for an 11 Duramax and oh man the difference!!  It would pull the same roads with cruise set and never back down, yes maintance was higher but I think that if I wanted to do some of the small stuff, oil changes, fuel filter changes it would have helped keep the cost down but Ive gotten older and it is just easier for me to trust the guys I know at the dealership to take care of it for me.  Now that I have a L5P time will tell but so far this one is the best yet!!!  If you are worried about cost of repairs then stick with the 6.0, but if you can save $10,000 by the time you get to 100,000 miles and need to start paying then you should be ok, the worst problem you here about is the CP4 failure and its replacement cost runs about $10,000 so that is where I set my truck repair savings to be, and this is just my thoughts on it.  On my 99 truck it took 10 years to go 186,000 on my 11 truck it took 6 years to get to 168,000.  :jester:

Thanks very much for your time,  And opinion.  Though I think the engines in the 2017 are very much upgraded from  1999....

Depending on how much you tow is a big factor but my vote would be diesel if doing really any towing, especially if you tow through hilly/mountainous terrain.  A diesel is always more efficient when towing and hearing a gasser drop a gear or two and is wrapping 5k rpm to maintain speed has always been unsettling to me.  The 6.0 is a great engine which is why it's been around for nearly 20 years with minimal updates but the biggest fault with it is the mileage.  The 6.0s I've driven never average better than 14mpg.  When I towed with them, I'd see anywhere from 5-9mpg depending on the load and that was on flat terrain.  The best my dad ever got on a road trip with his 6.0 was just under 16mpg unloaded.  I have a 2016 LML so I dont have much personal experience with the L5P.  I can easily get 18-20mpg hand calculated unloaded.  When I regen though, it drops to 12-14mpg for the +/- 30 miles it seems to take to complete the regen cycle.  My brother has a 2018 L5P and he says his cluster shows 20-22mph unloaded but he hasn't hand calculated.  With the L5P, they no longer have the CP4 that was mentioned above so that wont be an issue but I haven't stayed up with other issues they are seeing with the L5P.  With my experience in the automotive industry, I'll never own a first model year for a drivetrain as there's to many bugs that they work out and that's with any manufacturer.  The 2nd year is questionable depending on how the first year went.  If I was looking to upgrade I'd personally find a later 2018 but more than likely a 2019.  I've seen plenty of dealers with $10k off the HDs by quickly looking around on the internet.  Yes initial cost is higher along with maintenance but the 6.0 won't come close to the efficiency or capabilities of the L5P.

9 minutes ago, BlkSS said:

Depending on how much you tow is a big factor but my vote would be diesel if doing really any towing, especially if you tow through hilly/mountainous terrain.  A diesel is always more efficient when towing and hearing a gasser drop a gear or two and is wrapping 5k rpm to maintain speed has always been unsettling to me.  The 6.0 is a great engine which is why it's been around for nearly 20 years with minimal updates but the biggest fault with it is the mileage.  The 6.0s I've driven never average better than 14mpg.  When I towed with them, I'd see anywhere from 5-9mpg depending on the load and that was on flat terrain.  The best my dad ever got on a road trip with his 6.0 was just under 16mpg unloaded.  I have a 2016 LML so I dont have much personal experience with the L5P.  I can easily get 18-20mpg hand calculated unloaded.  When I regen though, it drops to 12-14mpg for the +/- 30 miles it seems to take to complete the regen cycle.  My brother has a 2018 L5P and he says his cluster shows 20-22mph unloaded but he hasn't hand calculated.  With the L5P, they no longer have the CP4 that was mentioned above so that wont be an issue but I haven't stayed up with other issues they are seeing with the L5P.  With my experience in the automotive industry, I'll never own a first model year for a drivetrain as there's to many bugs that they work out and that's with any manufacturer.  The 2nd year is questionable depending on how the first year went.  If I was looking to upgrade I'd personally find a later 2018 but more than likely a 2019.  I've seen plenty of dealers with $10k off the HDs by quickly looking around on the internet.  Yes initial cost is higher along with maintenance but the 6.0 won't come close to the efficiency or capabilities of the L5P.

Thanks so much,

Though not familiar with the LP4 and LP5... I'm guessing that was the upgrade in 2017?  I have steered away from the 16 just for that reason. Numbers say horsepower and tongue double in 17....   Other than Def fluid is there actual more Maint?  I mean both need oil changes.... 

34 minutes ago, dodge stomper said:

Thanks so much,

Though not familiar with the LP4 and LP5... I'm guessing that was the upgrade in 2017?  I have steered away from the 16 just for that reason. Numbers say horsepower and tongue double in 17....   Other than Def fluid is there actual more Maint?  I mean both need oil changes.... 

The CP4 is the injection pump for the LML (2011-16) and it doesn't like contaminated fuel (water) or draining the fuel rails (tuning without a lift pump on big HP tunes).  I run fuel additives every tank to help the pump out.  CP4 failures are blown out of proportion but when they do, its catastrophic and expensive.  A lot of people will get their insurance involved due to the cost because nearly always, there is water in the fuel (save receipts from filling up and fill up at high volume stations, aka truck stops).  The L5P is the new Duramax for 2017+.  GM said it's 95% new and has a completely new fuel system.   Numbers didn't double.  LML was rated at 397hp 765lbft.  L5P is 445hp and 910lbft if I remember correctly.  The LML is a very capable engine and I love mine.  My brother had 2 LMLs and loved them both and likes his L5P as well.

When it comes to maintenance, diesels take more oil.  The oil filter alone costs more.  You also have the fuel filter, DEF and if you're like me, fuel additive.  The Allison transmission also has an external filter which the 6L90Es on the gassers don't.

I recommend fuel additive in any diesel but that's my opinion.  If properly maintained, diesels will last virtually "forever" and have minimal breakdowns.  Anything can break, just remember that and diesel's cost more to repair in general because the are built more heavy duty.

The biggest issue on today's diesels are the emission system components.  Whey they fail, you can be left stranded depending on what fails.  You can easily be derated with a failure.  If you drive a lot of short distance, stop and go driving or idle a lot, the emission system won't like it and it will regen more frequently.

Edited by BlkSS

34 minutes ago, BlkSS said:

The CP4 is the injection pump for the LML (2011-16) and it doesn't like contaminated fuel (water) or draining the fuel rails (tuning without a lift pump on big HP tunes).  I run fuel additives every tank to help the pump out.  CP4 failures are blown out of proportion but when they do, its catastrophic and expensive.  A lot of people will get their insurance involved due to the cost because nearly always, there is water in the fuel (save receipts from filling up and fill up at high volume stations, aka truck stops).  The L5P is the new Duramax for 2017+.  GM said it's 95% new and has a completely new fuel system.   Numbers didn't double.  LML was rated at 397hp 765lbft.  L5P is 445hp and 910lbft if I remember correctly.  The LML is a very capable engine and I love mine.  My brother had 2 LMLs and loved them both and likes his L5P as well.

When it comes to maintenance, diesels take more oil.  The oil filter alone costs more.  You also have the fuel filter, DEF and if you're like me, fuel additive.  The Allison transmission also has an external filter which the 6L90Es on the gassers don't.

I recommend fuel additive in any diesel but that's my opinion.  If properly maintained, diesels will last virtually "forever" and have minimal breakdowns.  Anything can break, just remember that and diesel's cost more to repair in general because the are built more heavy duty.

The biggest issue on today's diesels are the emission system components.  Whey they fail, you can be left stranded depending on what fails.  You can easily be derated with a failure.  If you drive a lot of short distance, stop and go driving or idle a lot, the emission system won't like it and it will regen more frequently.

I really thank you for your time here,

To be totally honest I am planning to retire this winter and plan to Tow a 5th wheel that weighs about 15k loaded. I also hate to admit it but unlike some money really is an issue.  But I don't want to make a big mistake in trying to save.  I have read the gas 2500 is rated at 15k towing... the Diesel is rated at 18.5k  The thing is on can get a 3500 dual for about the same price. My second biggest problem is the wife wants the High Country, or the LTZ which is putting me at about 58k  versus 49 k for the same truck in gas.....      Head spinning.....   

Thanks again

24 minutes ago, dodge stomper said:

I really thank you for your time here,

To be totally honest I am planning to retire this winter and plan to Tow a 5th wheel that weighs about 15k loaded. I also hate to admit it but unlike some money really is an issue.  But I don't want to make a big mistake in trying to save.  I have read the gas 2500 is rated at 15k towing... the Diesel is rated at 18.5k  The thing is on can get a 3500 dual for about the same price. My second biggest problem is the wife wants the High Country, or the LTZ which is putting me at about 58k  versus 49 k for the same truck in gas.....      Head spinning.....   

Thanks again

No problem, anytime.  That's what these forums are for. 

I fully understand money being an issue.  Towing a 5th wheel at that weight, I wouldn't even consider a gasser.  I've never towed with a dually but they say it makes it easier to handle loads, but more maintenance with the 2 extra tires.  There's not as big of market for duallys so you can usually find deals if you're not set on a certain color.  I'd find out what interior options are a must for you and your wife and go from there.  Most duallys however seem to be fully loaded unless you get commercial WT trim.  One last note, even though they have a higher initial cost, diesels have a lot higher resale value than a gasser.  They also hold up to the mileage better if maintained properly.

I’m usually trying to convince guys to go with the 6L cause they don’t “need the D” In your case like stated above already the dirty D would be the way to go. You’ll be disappointed in the long run once you start hitting the hills and mountains fully loaded. Another thing to consider if you go new is the D is 100K 5 year powertrain/roadside assistance as opposed to 60K 5 year something to consider depending on what your anticipated yearly mileage will be. 

Another thing to think about is between now and the end of the year is the time to buy, I just got a new 2019 because there were no Blue single rear wheel long wheel base diesels left from 2018.  But some of the trucks I looked at were around $50-55 price range and I did see some dually's that were between $48-52, I would search far and near I drove 800 miles to get this truck because I felt it was my best deal.  Since you are in Ohio I would look to Laura Buick GMC in St. Louis, they just dropped the price on the 3500 I was looking at.  :jester:

Morning,

DS

Keith M  SW Ohio

My recommendation would be diesel, only because you tow. I’ve owned quite a few diesels and the DMax has been the best. I’m only recommending the diesel because you tow otherwise get a half ton. My 16, Z71 4x4 CC while towing approx 10K gave me 10-11mpgs which isn’t bad considering I was getting 4-5mpgs with a 5.3 towing 7K trailer.
The downside of owning a diesel or just a 3/4 ton that you’ll get a rough ride as a daily driver and eventually “may” get to you. After just three road trips pulling a 5th wheeler my family decided hotels only for future travels. Towing, definitely get the diesel, better mpg’s while towing, not towing, get the 1500 6.2, it’s a beast especially when tuned and excellent highway mpg’s without having to find or add DEF fluid or worried looking for Diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk