OEM Off-Road Light Switch Install

It is actually a simple install if you take your time and think it through.   Watch Tinkering Fox's video 2 or 3 times. If you are handy with a soldering iron, make your own harness.  If you want Plug-n-Play, then order a harness from Phil Gamboa.  Main thing to be careful of, the driver side interior fuse panel cover can be difficult to remove, so don't get too aggressive.   Make sure the terminals you put into the headlight plug, BCM X5 and X1 plugs are oriented right, otherwise you may not get good connections and the frustration sets in.  Keep in mind that the signal from the headlight switch to X1:12 supplies ground to the BCM.  With that input, the BCM then supplIes +12v to the X5:5 terminal to light up the back light indicator on the headlight switch and the BCM will also supply a software command to light the off road light icon in the instrument panel.  The wire that goes to the headlight switch back light indicator (yellow wire) is also run into the engine compartment and supplies +12 volts to the off road light relay.  The BCM latches or maintains the signal, until the headlight switch button is pressed again.  Keep in mind that the off road light button on the headlight switch must be pressed for 4-5 seconds to make the BCM activate or deactivate the signal.  You can also interlock this signal with an interposing relay triggered by the high beam relay so your off road light only runs when your high beams are on.   Pay special attention to Tinkering Fox's description of unlocking the tpa's on the all the wire plugs in the YouTube video, otherwise you may not get good connections at the various wire terminal plugs.  Good luck!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rock1500 said:

How hard is this install? I kind of like the idea and im on the fence. Currently I you the home link switch to turn on and off the led lights.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I had a light bar on my '14 Silverado.  Originally,  I used a wireless remote to turn on/off. I changed to a wired setup, once it quit working.  I'd leave yours alone,  until you need to change, if it's working for you.

Rigidhorse 32" .  Put 2 washers behind the brackets. Bought longer bolts to mount them to shutter shroud.  The brackets ended up a little crooked, throwing off the lineup for the bar end brackets.  Bent them a little with a hammer. Lined up perfectly. Didn't want to chance spacing too far out. 

Edited by Lnafree

On 1/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, bndawgs said:

Oh man, that's not bad at all.  I'm going to call them up to order one.  Thanks for the info.   

Shoot me a PM with how much you are looking to get for your extra switch.  I might be interested in it. 

Did you get your led bar mounted ?? if so what bar did you used ?? Thanks

19 hours ago, slj2008 said:

Did you get your led bar mounted ?? if so what bar did you used ?? Thanks

Not yet. I haven't had a chance to mess with my truck lately.  I went with a mictuning 32" led from Amazon.  I caught it on sale for $35.  

If I think of it, I'm going to try and call Rough Country this week to see about ordering their mounting kit.  That looks to be the best option besides a diy route. 

• Like 1