OEM Off-Road Light Switch Install

On 3/12/2019 at 7:46 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

Looking at doing the "Sport Bar" on my Silverado.  What tonneau cover did you get?  Also, can you send me pictures of the top and under (between the pipes)?

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/2018/GMC/Sierra 1500/standard-box-premier-roll-up-tonneau-cover-by-advantage®---associated-accessories-19355363?categoryId=98027

I got this tonneau cover installed on my truck when I bought it from the dealer.  It fits well, but when rolling it up it gets a little tough where the back of the sport bar meets the bed rails.  Almost have to tilt it a bit to get it to go past.  Other than that, it works great.

Can't take any pics right now, truck is sleeping at home and we got some snow today.  I'll try this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to take this switch and reverse the fog light and orl buttons to have the orl button to be instant on/off and the fog lights be on/off hold for 3 seconds?  I'm guessing you would have to switch the wires from the switch at the BCM?   

Edited by bndawgs

On 9/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, TinkeringFox said:

Have you seen the Michael J Fox Edition Sierra/Silverado rolling down the road? Looks like the Toyota from Back to the Future. Anyway there is a really cool headlight switch with the option for Off-Road lights. Apparently with a long push of the button the BCM will latch the signal and provide a constant positive signal for triggering a relay. It will also illuminate the icon on the switch as well as send a signal to the cluster illuminating an amber light icon next to the fog light icon or “ORL” in amber.

I successfully installed this in my wife’s ‘16 2500 Denali yesterday but from what I’ve read it’s the same for 1/2 tons, HDs, and Colorado/Canyon.

The BCM already has Programing for this from the factory but I’m not sure when (how early) it was started. I have a ‘15 3500 that I’ll try soon as well as a friend’s ‘17 2500 to do soon. 

If the Programing hasn’t been done in my ‘15 I’ll still be able to get the switch to illuminate as well as latch a signal for positive or negative relay signaling using a latching relay. 

There are several variants of this switch. Some have blue background for ‘17+Up model years and red for ‘16+earlier. Additionally some have the ORL switch without Fogs, and some have no surround backlighting. 

Here is the video from yesterday’s install.....

......More videos to come for other uses like work lights, incorporating into the X50A, rear facing lights, non programmed trucks.....

Pgamboa has been very helpful in discussion about this as well as providing schematic-Thank You!

I've run through a few pages on this thread,  and watched the video a few times. I have a few questions if you don't mind. First simply being what is the part information for the Delphi (hopefully the correct name) crimp / ends, I have the number for the JST from the video being SAITS-A03T-M064, is this correct? Are they the same for the Delphi? Also, is there a link or part number to the Delphi crimp tool, or will any crimp tool be sufficient? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

I jumped the gun and purchased the Red surround switch and later verified mine are Blue (2016 Silverado 1500 LT). I wanted to attach an image of my existing switch as it doesn't resemble most on here.

20190402_110206.jpg

The pic of the switch you posted isnt the offroad switch. Thats just the headlight with fog light switch. But i guess you could do the same thing though. Does your truck have factory fog lights?

That crimp tool will work, you might need to finesse the edges of the crimp to make them conform to the cavity but they’ll get it done. Bummer about the color but I’m sure you’ll find a buyer. Also I’m pretty sure @pgamboa can send you a harness cheaper and faster than buying the tool, wire, tape and terminals...etc Also I haven’t seen a Silverado or Sierra with anything but JST connectors, the written instructions are for a Canyon/Colorado.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RACERX7775 said:

The pic of the switch you posted isnt the offroad switch. Thats just the headlight with fog light switch. But i guess you could do the same thing though. Does your truck have factory fog lights?

The picture I posted was simply my existing switch, I believed it to be slightly different than others existing switches on this thread, prior to replacement. I do have fogs and did purchase the switch from TinkeringFox's video.

3 hours ago, TinkeringFox said:

That crimp tool will work, you might need to finesse the edges of the crimp to make them conform to the cavity but they’ll get it done. Bummer about the color but I’m sure you’ll find a buyer. Also I’m pretty sure @pgamboa can send you a harness cheaper and faster than buying the tool, wire, tape and terminals...etc Also I haven’t seen a Silverado or Sierra with anything but JST connectors, the written instructions are for a Canyon/Colorado.

I appreciate the response, I went ahead and snagged a set , doesn't hurt to own a pair for the future. They are eerily similar to my MC4 crimp tool, which is for photovoltaic installation connectors , so I may already own a tool for the project,  duplicates never hurt. I found the exact part number for the crimps on Amazon (25 pieces) ,  no image though, hopefully they are the correct female ends. 

Screenshot_20190402-111338_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I think there is only a couple diff switches. Might be wrong though.

Headlights

Auto headlights

Headlights and fogs

Headlights and fogs and off road lights

And of course red and blue depending on chevy and gmc and year of gmc.

Edited by RACERX7775
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TinkeringFox said:

Nice find! Let us know...

Once I've accumulated all the components,  I think I'm going to tackle the OEM switch with BCM and aftermarket relay integration wiring first. Then get the lighting feed completely in place and leave fuse out. Then install my fixtures. Hopefully all goes well. I greatly appreciate all the input and knowledge here. I attached a few images on the trucks current state. Doesn't appear to have much done, but it's been a busy month. It was a 2016 LT Z71 crew cab. Already replaced headlights and taillights with LTZ, Weathertech Floormats,  Weathertech mud flaps, removed silverado rear and side emblems,  replaced side with Z71 emblems, replaced both bowties with black, replaced oversized antenna with 4", K&N intake filter, new black hitch pin, repainted hitch , had the hood, fenders, grille,  front bumper, and tailgate repainted,  Z71 license plate frame, Go Rhino sport bar, every exterior lamp replaced with LED.

I have Weathertech window visors / deflectors in transit, as well as (5) Rigid Industries Q Series LED fixtures for the sport bar [ (2) diffused , (3) flood].

I know I've names some dinky items, but it's all added up, so I thought I'd mention them. Hopefully I'll have an update on the sport lights shortly. Thank you

Screenshot_20190402-200101_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190402-200146_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190402-200206_Gallery.jpg

20190327_194939.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good. Check out this behind the grille lightbar mount.....

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/2014-2015-silverado-sierra-led-light-behind-grille-mount.aspx#.XKQEQhpMGfB

I installed one in my ‘17 2500 with a Rough Country 30” curved bar.....

https://www.roughcountry.com/30-inch-led-light-bar-70930blkdrl.html?rrec=true

I wired it in so the high beams activate it when I have the ORL switch “on”.

5A2EF7CF-C632-4BD0-8A6E-9C9AF1C6C9A4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TinkeringFox said:

Looking good. Check out this behind the grille lightbar mount.....

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/2014-2015-silverado-sierra-led-light-behind-grille-mount.aspx#.XKQEQhpMGfB

I installed one in my ‘17 2500 with a Rough Country 30” curved bar.....

https://www.roughcountry.com/30-inch-led-light-bar-70930blkdrl.html?rrec=true

I wired it in so the high beams activate it when I have the ORL switch “on”.

5A2EF7CF-C632-4BD0-8A6E-9C9AF1C6C9A4.jpeg

Another brilliant idea, Definitely looking into wiring some additional lights, and the high beam option sounds like a great idea as they should never be on during traffic anyway, unless someone forgets to turn their high beams off headed towards me, which they are in for a surprise lol. I also plan to hang two rear facing LED ORLs for additional reverse lighting when trail driving / out in the dark. Pondering on how I desire to have those controlled , as I don't want them to be on the reverse circuit and turn on in my local grocers parking lot , and blind the masses. Thinking of using the spare locations near the traction control switch. Anyone know where to purchase those Aux switches, proper name / terminology for those switches?