Post your latest oil change.

On 10/7/2023 at 10:03 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

Thanks again, Grump. 

I'm trying to figure out what to do with our 09 Silverado 5.3L with 106k miles. 

It had the high/low oil pressure DTC's [on some of my last Shell GasTruck 5W-30 and a new (post e-core) AC Delco PF-48, only a month into that oil change] on a trip when it suddenly got -22F last winter.  An oil and filter change and new GM oil pressure sensor and screen was the fix. 

Since then, I've learned about a GM TSB of sorts--it says that trouble code may be caused by a PF-48 becoming clogged, and to use a 'higher capacity' (?) AC Delco Ultraguard UPF-48R if that happens.  Those UPF filters are only available to me online, and I prefer to make such purchases in person.  Likewise, Purolators interest me, but the nearest Advance Auto Parts store is 100 miles away.  Locally available here are the regular AC Delco and new Fram FE (Synthetic Endurance, made by Champ, similar to the AMSoil and Royal Purple filters) oil filters at Wal-Mart, and the Microgard/Wix/XP line of oil filters at several O'Reilly Auto Parts.

This 09 Silverado has the AFM turned off, and has lifter noise on startup, especially when cold, since 7k miles, when a 'tight' Fram Ultra oil filter was used only once. It is currently running a 'loose' Wix XP, and the lifter noise is quieter than it has been in years, hot or cold (!)  I only use Dexos1Gen3 rated oil and do 4k mile changes since the lifter noise began, as the GM recommended (back then) conventional oil and OLM indicated 7k oil changes are what caused the AFM troubles in the first place. 

Some GM techs on here have advocated switching to the PF-63 sized oil filters, as that is what the newer GM truck V8s mostly use.  Those have higher capacity due to being about 1.5 inches taller, and the bypass valve pressures have been increased from 12 psi to 22+ psi. 

I am very interested in using the larger size (PF-63 equivalent), but am not sure about the doubled bypass pressure on the older pickup.  What do you (and any other readers) think about the bypass pressure increase?

Thanks for your insight!

I would think that your filter isn't getting loaded up.  Especially if you are doing 5k oil changes with off the shelf synthetics.  It is those that don't take care of their vehicle and let the oil changes go out way to far that are having the issues.  For your year AMSOIL recommends the Wix 57060 filter.  Mainly due to like stated above of filter getting loaded.  They do this because of the general public that doesn't take care of their vehicles was having issues with the high quality AMSOIL filter loading up. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 9:03 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

I am very interested in using the larger size (PF-63 equivalent), but am not sure about the doubled bypass pressure on the older pickup.  What do you (and any other readers) think about the bypass pressure increase?

Thanks for your insight!

Morning @MaverickZ71:

Did you know that the PF63 filters used on the 2014 Ecotec3 5.3 only had a bypass setting of 12 psi? It was GM engineering that determined this needed to be increased the following year (22 psi). The advice given by the techs is on the money.

They even kept the same part number which caused all sorts of confusion. Eventually all old stock was used up and now we don't give it a second thought.

The higher bypass setting will hurt nothing. The fact the element has more area and given your shorter 4K OCI, even less chance of the issues you had earlier setting codes when the bypass would open.  And they all open on a sufficiently cold day until things warm up at anything above an idle.  

• Thanks 1

Amsoil's marketing has turned me off quite a bit over the years, but I feel they've stepped up since they have built their own in-house testing facility.  If oxidation values give any indication of ester quantity, which is debatable, Amsoil is using a decent amount.  

Found some photos on a Facebook oil group.  Thought this was pretty impressive.

"2012 Cruze Eco 1.4L Turbo. This car has seen nothing but AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 since 2013, and has been tuned since as well, first with Trifecta then with BNR, making about 50hp and 70lb-ft more power *to the wheels.* Starting in about 2015, the car was used to tow my 14' boat as well as my utility trailer and various uhaul trailers. Since I started working from home full time in 2015, most of the driving was short trips, wide open throttle to redline daily.
At 72k miles, I pulled the cams to upgrade valve springs. The oil in service at the time of this disassembly had 12,500 miles and 2 years on it, about 1/4 of which was with a trailer behind it and the rest of it hitting max boost daily. I stopped caring about fuel economy once I stopped commuting. The oil change prior to that went 15,622 miles and 18 months, and all oil changes before that were at 10,000-15,000 miles (dealer drained it a couple times to service the oil pan and PCV system or they'd all have been 15k miles)."

image.thumb.png.5a752f4d7f8fb38d8495dc71e5f9fa16.png

• Like 1

226,000 Mile Service 

Dizzy

10/17/2023

2014 GMC Terrain Ecotec 2.4 I-4

2,000 OCI / 73% OLM/3 oz of makeup. 

1 gallon Shell Rotella T6 5W40

1-quart High Performance Lubricants SAE40-EC

No filter change. Only 2K on it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

228,000 Mile Service

Dizzy

11/4/2023

2015 GMC Terrain 2.4 I-4

Oil Change

2,001-mile OCI actual. 

3 ounces of makeup. 

0.0307% oil consumption on fuel consumed at 26.24 mpg for this OCI.

1 gallon Shell Rotella T6 5W40

1-quart HPL SAE40-EC

1 Purolator PL15436 filter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

11/25/2023

2021 Ram

20671 total miles, 2864 on this OCI. 7 QTs HPL Super Car 5w40 out and in. Fram Endurance filter. Apparently similar if not the same as the Royal Purple and Amsoil but at a WalMart price. Curious.

• Like 3

9-23 2011 Genesis 127K at the Hyundai dealership. Under 4K oil changes per dealership recommendation since new. 11-23 Odyssey 140K at valvoline quick change right at 5K miles. 50 percent on the oil minder. Oil looked dirty at 4K in Fayetteville. Unlike the others always looking fresh up to oil changes.  Next up Avalanche and Acura after the holidays. Almost forgot no oil usage.

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1

Anybody use Speediagnostix for used oil analysis?

https://www.speediagnostix.com/shop/p/standard-drain-sample-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyKurBhD5ARIsALamXaF2rNcvdf0xRZanfOWDuQVaEcsGhvGNlNvyXma4kHddKv6_CbLI_z0aAvtYEALw_wcB

Lake Speed Jr., The Motor Oil Geek on YouTube, is the son of former NASCAR driver and team owner Lake Speed. A former crew member for Chad Knaus at Melling Racing, Speed joined the Joe Gibbs team in 2004 and led the creation of Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil. He was a member of the NASCAR team that worked with WIX to make their current generation of racing filters. A member of STLE and SAE, Speed’s background in Tribology provides a unique perspective on engine performance and durability.

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Anybody use Speediagnostix for used oil analysis?

https://www.speediagnostix.com/shop/p/standard-drain-sample-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyKurBhD5ARIsALamXaF2rNcvdf0xRZanfOWDuQVaEcsGhvGNlNvyXma4kHddKv6_CbLI_z0aAvtYEALw_wcB

Lake Speed Jr., The Motor Oil Geek on YouTube, is the son of former NASCAR driver and team owner Lake Speed. A former crew member for Chad Knaus at Melling Racing, Speed joined the Joe Gibbs team in 2004 and led the creation of Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil. He was a member of the NASCAR team that worked with WIX to make their current generation of racing filters. A member of STLE and SAE, Speed’s background in Tribology provides a unique perspective on engine performance and durability.

I have not used this service.  Interesting to see how it would be sent back and to read the results.  How it is interpreted so to speak.  The cost is higher than Blackstone or Oil Analyzers/Polaris Labs.  I couldn't find, but didn't look to long, the total information that you would get back like TAN, TBN which are extra costs for Blackstone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

11 DEC 2023

2009 Silverado 1500 CC Z71 5.3L

oil and filter change

106,381 mi 

4779.9 total eng hrs.

30% remaining on OLM.

12 months since last oil and filter change. 

6.0 qts Quaker State Ultimate Protection (full synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 3) 5W-30 motor oil. 

Last Wix 57060XP (old stock wire backing) oil filter from my cache.

Approx 3750 mi on this change.

Approx 1.5 qts oil used between changes--lots of remote starts and idling, oil cooler lines dripping--already replaced twice 🤬.

Used new Lisle "import car" oil filter removal wrench from O'Reillys--worked great 👇🏼

s-l960.thumb.webp.9744a77608921d1cdb2f22708862d912.webp

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

232,449 Mile Service

1/11/2024

Dizzy. 2015 GMC Terrain 2.4 Ecotec I-4

1,200 mile OCI. 

4.75 Quarts Valvoline Restore and Protect 5W30 

1 Purolator PL15436 Filter 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

2018 Jeep, 77,322 total miles, 2,285 on interval. Drained out F&F & HPL EC, installed 5.5 quarts HPL Premium Plus 5w30, Fram XG10060 filter.

HPL EC was doing its job. Oil was dirty dirty dirty black (my scientific term) but no chunks in the filter. Car was obviously well maintained. IMG_3721.thumb.jpeg.4d06acca94a64f0b3feef3f643822542.jpegIMG_3724.thumb.jpeg.68d340dba9d598b0719ebfb3cca27882.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...